Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for someone to help play test my map!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for someone to help play test my map!

Link to new map on a different thread:
    https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...24762-CTF-Core

Hey guys I was just wondering if there was someone or a group of people who are willing to play test my map in progress with me. Below I have attached a layout of the map and this is a very simple drawing of the map and I am still adding more changes constantly. I am hoping to find people 3-5 days from today to begin play testing with.

Thanks a lot guys!!

Last edited by vst22; 08-18-2016, 12:42 AM.

I don't know how close the actual map will be to the sketch, but having a single spawn room behind the flag is a bad idea, as it will lead to spawn camping. Defenders should spawn in at least 3 different locations around the base (and not right next to the flag).

What do you mean you need gravity boots to obtain the damage amp, can it not be reached with a translocator?

Comment

hey [MENTION=306415]vst22[/MENTION], if you'd like your map uploaded to our hubs so people can try it out, check out our discord channel, and PM me (MII) a link to download a pak for your file so I can upload it to our servers
      As for personal advice, ptt has summed up my initial thoughts completely, but lets see how it looks in-game first

Comment

Hey thanks for the speedy response I really appreciate it! I am back at the drawing board trying to revamp the spawn locations. [MENTION=222204]MarkTheF4rth[/MENTION] thanks for the link to the discord, once I have something solid and more polished I will 100% upload it there. Thanks for the help everyone!!

Comment

Hey guys I just finished revamping my level. Below I have included a layout of my level. Also when ever I try to share the level my computer keeps freezing, was wondering if you guys have had this issue? (Sorry for posting here, but I will also post on the bugs and technical issues thread)

Comment

I would strongly suggest working in the editor as soon as possible. Thinking on paper is good to get the overall layout of your map, but it's difficult to get the feel of multiple floors and z-axis there.

If you really want to go with the lava pool idea, I think it has to feel as the most unique feature of your level, rather than a gimmick that you added just to the middle room. A lava pool in the middle of the map could be OK-ish, but man... there's so much more you can do with it! Think about the ways that the lava could be activated, and how it could affect not only the middle, but all the other spaces in your map. Then, you can make every space of your level focus on a unique way to react to the lava: a room could have floating platforms that move when the lava is activated, another room could have its walls affected by streams of lava, some secondary paths could be blocked, jumpads could be steam jumpads that are only activaded by the lava... I mean, people can be horribly picky when it comes to gimmicks that feel like an afterthought, but if they can't imagine your map without the gimmick, then they'll most likely claim it to be awesome!

Your map's unique features can be valuable clues to know the sizes and shapes of your rooms. From the plan view I see you're kind of worried about connecting all your spaces with hallways but I would try to avoid that at all costs and focus on your main, most awesome spaces instead. You'll most likely have to use hallways after all, but try to keep them to a minimum, or make them part of larger and more interesting spaces.

Something I think that it is wrong with the layout are the bent hallways/platforms by the Shock area. If i walked from the enemy flag to the nearby Shock, there would be one point where I would be forced to turn and look towards the complete opposite side of my base. That could be a bit confusing and not worth doing in this case IMO.

As for the spawnrooms, I would try not to add spawnrooms at all but you might need some kind of spawn space if the map is small enough. In that case, I think you can still add more interesting spaces next to and behind the flags, and place the PlayerStarts there. Instead of making them deadends or trans-only, those spaces could perfectly be alternate routes to the flag. Plus, in CTF you'll very often be in the situation where both teams have brought the enemy flag to base, and you really want flag carriers to have a few interesting rooms in your base so that they can move and hide and not get bored...

Best of luck with your level! Just don't forget what your core idea is, and try to make that one as awesome as possible!
            Last edited by TheGlecter; 07-22-2016, 08:36 PM.
            DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
            My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
            My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

Wow thanks for the feed back, I actually have a working playable shell of the map atm and I am looking for players. For the center of the lava I made it so the lava rises and kills anyone in the center of the room (sorry I forgot to put that in the details) so basically it would cut the middle off for about 30 seconds or so forcing players to use alternate paths. As for the spawn rooms I added an elevator inside so players can get in and out with the flag spawn having 2 ways out. I will post the pak files so people can try it, it is my fault because the drawn plan is not as close to the map. Thanks again for the advice, I will def keep changing the map around!

Comment

Just post the PAK file and a lot of players will test it out
                Win 10
                iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
                3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
                NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
                DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
                2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Hey guys I posted the map on the WIP fourms! I will also post the pak file here too!

‚Äčhttps://1drv.ms/f/s!AmqlO5cGUfIhbe7F41vLrIehE-A

Comment

Please consider adding the map to our end user database and perhaps the redirect storage as well
                    Pro 2 Play Community Website @ https://www.pro2play.com/
                    UT4 Server/Hub Guide @ https://www.pro2play.com/games/ut4/guide.php
                    UT3 Server Guide @ https://www.pro2play.com/games/ut3/serverguide.php
                    Need help? Join Discord Chat @ https://discord.gg/ETv384q

Comment

Alright everyone, the map should be ready to play. I tested out myself and everyone seems to be working relatively well. Thanks again Zunnie!!!

NEW LINK:
                      https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmqlO5cGUfIhcPQYorvngi4hpbg

Comment

Screenshots?
                        -Fn>Metalfist
                        ---------------------
                        Siege Building | BT-CrashOut | CTF-AsteroidDrill | UT99 Ports&Muts | Nyandeemer | LogoSplash | CTF-Bedrooms2 | Unreal Papercrafts | Unreal Monsters | ChaosUT | UT-SLV: Strangelove | Zunnie's Mug

Comment

metalfist try the map its very early wip and alpha but it does have an interesting layout to be a ctf map.

to vst22: The map is fine I do like, gameplay wise is okay only I find a bit "stuckish" o I felt slightly blocked in the circle multiway routes in sided part where the rocket launcher is placed. It forces to jump more strongly than usual you could do when you carry the flag.

Maybe you could try, -not to delete- that sort of horizontal pile where are placed the RL instead, leave as is it but doing some bsp work by reducing the high in a tiny piece of that horizontal block, maybe some keystone shape with about 1 meter width and 50 meter of height creating a sort of doorway between that block. Its only a suggestion, maybe I should play a bit more, dunno, its my viewpoint, do whatever you think is okay its your map lol

Keep mapping dude we need more ctf maps there are more DM maps than ctf, its very unbalanced in numbers. Thanks!

Comment

@metalfist : Hey sorry, I don't have any good screenshots of the map since a lot of it is just basic BSP's. I am working on getting that soon once I have a more appealing style of the map.
                            @Darksonny: Hey thanks a lot of trying my map. I do agree with you about the middle, it is actually the area where I have the most concern about at the moment. I am going to run through some changes today and most likely upload something tomorrow with edits. Thanks a lot for your support, it really means a lot!!

Comment

Originally posted by vst22 View Post
                              @metalfist : Hey sorry, I don't have any good screenshots of the map since a lot of it is just basic BSP's. I am working on getting that soon once I have a more appealing style of the map.
                              @Darksonny: Hey thanks a lot of trying my map. I do agree with you about the middle, it is actually the area where I have the most concern about at the moment. I am going to run through some changes today and most likely upload something tomorrow with edits. Thanks a lot for your support, it really means a lot!!
                              You're welcome!

Comment

Working...
                              X