Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic [Question] Indoor & Outdoor Lighting

[Question] Indoor & Outdoor Lighting

Does anyone know of any great pdfs/ video demonstrations/ techniques/ threads of lighting a level that includes both indoor and outdoor areas?
    I'm working on a multiplayer level for UT4 that takes place at sunset. I'm trying to create a warm outdoor and cool indoor environment, but I'm struggling to separate the lighting for the outdoor and indoor areas. The skylight seems to affect all rooms (giving a reddish ambient light to all rooms)

Thank you.

• replied
    Originally posted by TrinhST View Post
    Hi Mitch Mitchell,
    For some time I researched how I efficiently could approach lighting in UT maps.
    I followed your small introduction on the lighting and this was my result.
    http://imgur.com/Aw4pzR9

It looks different from the one you posted and I am not sure why. I would like it to be as bright as yours but I am not sure where I went wrong. The minimum brightness of the indoor-PostProcessVolume is "0,1" and the sphere reflection capture is around the entire map.

I also notice that every time I edit something in the editor and think it's going to look fine because it "looks fine in the editor" I start building the lighting and everything changes.

Sorry, been extremely busy for the last 5 months.

If this is still an issue, PM me - I'm kinda free until February now.

In answer to your question, I think the answer may simply be in the world settings for lighting.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Mitch Mitchell,
    For some time I researched how I efficiently could approach lighting in UT maps.
    I followed your small introduction on the lighting and this was my result.
    http://imgur.com/Aw4pzR9

It looks different from the one you posted and I am not sure why. I would like it to be as bright as yours but I am not sure where I went wrong. The minimum brightness of the indoor-PostProcessVolume is "0,1" and the sphere reflection capture is around the entire map.

I also notice that every time I edit something in the editor and think it's going to look fine because it "looks fine in the editor" I start building the lighting and everything changes.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Yourname942 View Post
    Does anyone know of any great pdfs/ video demonstrations/ techniques/ threads of lighting a level that includes both indoor and outdoor areas?
    I'm working on a multiplayer level for UT4 that takes place at sunset. I'm trying to create a warm outdoor and cool indoor environment, but I'm struggling to separate the lighting for the outdoor and indoor areas. The skylight seems to affect all rooms (giving a reddish ambient light to all rooms)

Thank you.

Yes.

I wrote a level design document for the Mapcore submission on Formidable. Although I felt the document required another 20 pages to really flesh out the tonality of the map, there is certainly a few pages which cover lighting and tone. You can download the document via the thread, linked in my sig. Sadly, it doesn't actually cover technique, so let me break it down for you:

You will need the following:

Directional light using Temperature - a very good color palette reference is here and a definitive knowledge of what the time-of-day is meant to be for your map is essential.
    Post processing volumes x 2 (indoor and outdoor)
    Assets
    Other standard visual elements

Create a new, completely blank map with two areas, one for indoors, one for outdoors...maybe some windows. Do not use the 'starter' map or any templates. Get a new, clean map. Looking (something) like this:

Wrap a Post-Processing Volume for each area, so one for indoor and one for outdoor, or simply where the player is going to be. Like this:

Add the Directional Light and point it 'inwards', like so:

* I found that -12.5 degrees rotation is good for dawn/dusk feel, and 3386 Temp matched it.

Let's add a SkyLight, SkySphere, Fog and tidy our folders:

Now, let's add Lightmass Portals to the door and windows, Add Reflection Spheres and tweak the Auto-exposure settings of the post processing volumes for minimum brightness and darkness. Let's build it, go inside and check the results.

*If you want more brightness, decrease the minimum brightness. There is an explanation of this by Epic here But the basics of brighter and darker settings are very simple.

Here is the same scene with higher minimum brightness settings:

That's not realistic, but serves to demonstrate the point.

Now, let's add some dummies and some emissive static meshes of RGB to see how the light is bouncing and whether it suits what you are going for. An example would be this:

Looks fine, no waxing and light is bouncing - I think you're good to go.

Copy the necessary folders, containing the post processing volumes etc, and paste them into your level - bake the lighting and tweak/adjust sequentially with:

Directional Light Temperature and strength/intensity values (your sun) and the Aut o-exposure values of the post-processing volumes. These two variables are intrinsically linked, yet are completely manual and will not automate one if you adjust the other.

I'm sure there is more to say, but mostly it is making miniscule adjustments for exterior==>>interior==>>exterior with the auto-exposure of the post processing volumes; and intensity of the directional lights.

*ninja edit - server didn't cache the images, corrected.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 08-19-2016, 10:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There are a few tutorials i come across on youtube im not sure if they will be of any help here is an example of one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X