Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porting Custom maps

I would like to know the following.

Porting official epic games made maps are no problem, as it was told me it is not a problem.

If i would like to have custom maps been ported i need the permission of the author of the map. What if i cant find the author or the author wont communicate about it. Would it be impossible to port the map because of ethical or (maybe) some legal reasons ? Otherwise porting custom maps is a no go, and thats a shame because there are some beauty's who are waiting to be ported.

Originally posted by Ensuna View Post
    I would like to know the following.

Porting official epic games made maps are no problem, as it was told me it is not a problem.

If i would like to have custom maps been ported i need the permission of the author of the map. What if i cant find the author or the author wont communicate about it. Would it be impossible to port the map because of ethical or (maybe) some legal reasons ? Otherwise porting custom maps is a no go, and thats a shame because there are some beauty's who are waiting to be ported.
    You dont need any permission stop wasting your time looking for people long gone in most cases. If they created a map for UT using the engine Its epic property at the end of the day so just like Epics maps are no problem so are custom maps.
    Some people like to be nice and ask but there is no copyright legal law that someone can sue you if you remake their maps.
    Just do it.
    Join the community Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
      You dont need any permission stop wasting your time looking for people long gone in most cases. If they created a map for UT using the engine Its epic property at the end of the day so just like Epics maps are no problem so are custom maps.
      Some people like to be nice and ask but there is no copyright legal law that someone can sue you if you remake their maps.
      Just do it.
      Thats not really true, the ownership part. For example with UT4, Epic has told me that when CTF-Polaris goes up on the market place, I will still have full control and ownership over the map. Just like CaptainMigraine has full control and ownership over DM-Lea. Just because you use a tool to build something, doesnt make it the property of the company who owns the tool. That would be the same as an art supply company saying they own every piece of art made with their paint. Also DM-Lea almost wasnt included in UT4, right before the map was released Epic found out that CaptainMigraine never got permission to remake DM-Lea from the original author, so Epic had to scramble to get in touch with the original author to get permission to include it in the game. They had him sign all sorts of legal papers and CaptainMigraine as well.

With that being said, its always best to contact the original owner if possible before copying their work or porting it over. If you do port over the map, make sure you leave the original author information in tact, especially if you havent been able to contact them. Since all maps are free in UT4 right now, I dont think anyone would mind. But if you for example ported someones UT3 map and tried selling it, then you could possibly get into legal trouble if the original author had more money than time.
      PayBack

Comment

Originally posted by PayBack View Post
        Thats not really true, the ownership part. For example with UT4, Epic has told me that when CTF-Polaris goes up on the market place, I will still have full control and ownership over the map. Just like CaptainMigraine has full control and ownership over DM-Lea. Just because you use a tool to build something, doesnt make it the property of the company who owns the tool. That would be the same as an art supply company saying they own every piece of art made with their paint. Also DM-Lea almost wasnt included in UT4, right before the map was released Epic found out that CaptainMigraine never got permission to remake DM-Lea from the original author, so Epic had to scramble to get in touch with the original author to get permission to include it in the game. They had him sign all sorts of legal papers and CaptainMigraine as well.

With that being said, its always best to contact the original owner if possible before copying their work or porting it over. If you do port over the map, make sure you leave the original author information in tact, especially if you havent been able to contact them. Since all maps are free in UT4 right now, I dont think anyone would mind. But if you for example ported someones UT3 map and tried selling it, then you could possibly get into legal trouble if the original author had more money than time.
        But is the ownership just new cos of the market place? What if you dont put them on the market place and freely make them available.

Comment

But is the ownership just new cos of the market place? What if you dont put them on the market place and freely make them available.
          No the ownership has always existed. A map is a piece of intellectual property created by the map author. Epic may own the pieces in the map like meshes, music and so on, but they dont own the matter in which they are put together. They gave those pieces out freely to use to create something, what was created is owned by the creator. Even in older UT games, had Epic wanted to include a community map in the official game, they would have had to get legal permission from the map author. It doesnt matter if the map is on the market place or not, it still is the intellectual property of the original map author. I dont think a map author would really care though if someone ported over their map, but its best to get permission if you are going to just to cover your own ***. Its a legal grey area that has very little reason to go after someone for copying your map as most maps wont be making money, but its still theft of intellectual property if you copy someones map. The Original owner could say they had planned on porting it and selling it but your free version is taking away his earning potential so they could now sue you for lost money. They could say because you ported my map, people became more aware of your own original maps that were sold, which means you made money directly related to the popularity of my map. Could get sued for that too.
          PayBack

Comment

No the ownership has always existed. A map is a piece of intellectual property created by the map author. Epic may own the pieces in the map like meshes, music and so on, but they dont own the matter in which they are put together. They gave those pieces out freely to use to create something, what was created is owned by the creator. Even in older UT games, had Epic wanted to include a community map in the official game, they would have had to get legal permission from the map author. It doesnt matter if the map is on the market place or not, it still is the intellectual property of the original map author. I dont think a map author would really care though if someone ported over their map, but its best to get permission if you are going to just to cover your own ***. Its a legal grey area that has very little reason to go after someone for copying your map as most maps wont be making money, but its still theft of intellectual property if you copy someones map. The Original owner could say they had planned on porting it and selling it but your free version is taking away his earning potential so they could now sue you for lost money. They could say because you ported my map, people became more aware of your own original maps that were sold, which means you made money directly related to the popularity of my map. Could get sued for that too.
            I was wrong, fair enough.

How do you go about it if you love the map and the creator has disappeared off the face of the earth. You made every attempt in contacting them with no luck. You port the map and include their name in the credits as the original creator.

Or what about if you change it slightly like the DM-Peak remake, is a small change enough to make it your own work? Or the different versions of Deck for example. Really most maps need to be tweaked so far the amount of ports that play nicely on new UT is 1 in 10, the rest just seem off. Maybe the scale was incorrectly chosen.

Comment

I was wrong, fair enough.

How do you go about it if you love the map and the creator has disappeared off the face of the earth. You made every attempt in contacting them with no luck. You port the map and include their name in the credits as the original creator.

Or what about if you change it slightly like the DM-Peak remake, is a small change enough to make it your own work? Or the different versions of Deck for example. Really most maps need to be tweaked so far the amount of ports that play nicely on new UT is 1 in 10, the rest just seem off. Maybe the scale was incorrectly chosen.
              Remember when Vanilla Ice tweaked the beat of "Under Pressure" for his song "Ice Ice Baby"? Shug Knight held him upside down over a balcony and forced him to pay royalties because that was easier and faster than court. It doesnt matter if you change a tiny part, add a different color or a box here or there, if your port reasonably resembles the original map then its still falls into the copyright issue. DM-Lea was a map built from the ground up by CaptainMigraine, even though from a polycount, color tone, weapon placement, light placement and so on it was different, it was still based on the original DM-Lea design which is why Epic needed legal permission to add it. When it comes down to it, it would be up to a judge/jury to decide if something is a close enough resemblance to the original material to constitute copy right infringement. A great example of this was Lindsey Lohan just recently lost a lawsuit against RockStar Games and GTA5 where she claimed a hand drawn picture of a model in the game resembled her likeness. Ultimately a jury/judge found that not to be the case. But they could have also favored in her side and RockStar Games would have had to pay Lindsey Lohan for the use of her image or remove it from the game. So it really depends and its a very grey area, which is why its always best to get permission to copy someone elses work.

This is the picture, a little NSFW. Personally I think RockStar Games totally stole her image and should of had to pay her for it.

Spoiler
              PayBack

Comment

Remember when Vanilla Ice tweaked the beat of "Under Pressure" for his song "Ice Ice Baby"? Shug Knight held him upside down over a balcony and forced him to pay royalties because that was easier and faster than court. It doesnt matter if you change a tiny part, add a different color or a box here or there, if your port reasonably resembles the original map then its still falls into the copyright issue. DM-Lea was a map built from the ground up by CaptainMigraine, even though from a polycount, color tone, weapon placement, light placement and so on it was different, it was still based on the original DM-Lea design which is why Epic needed legal permission to add it. When it comes down to it, it would be up to a judge/jury to decide if something is a close enough resemblance to the original material to constitute copy right infringement. A great example of this was Lindsey Lohan just recently lost a lawsuit against RockStar Games and GTA5 where she claimed a hand drawn picture of a model in the game resembled her likeness. Ultimately a jury/judge found that not to be the case. But they could have also favored in her side and RockStar Games would have had to pay Lindsey Lohan for the use of her image or remove it from the game. So it really depends and its a very grey area, which is why its always best to get permission to copy someone elses work.

This is the picture, a little NSFW. Personally I think RockStar Games totally stole her image and should of had to pay her for it.

Spoiler

That vanilla ice intro still fools me, get excited then under pressure... you also have the case of Weird al Yankovic where he did the lady gaga song where he did not get permission but released it anyways for free online and was ok.

But like you said it could go either way

Edit: "Song parodies can be characterized as fair use," says copyright lawyer Justin Jacobson of The Jacobson Firm. "This is different than recording cover songs, which would require the person covering the song to obtain a mechanical license through the Harry Fox Agency, permitting the artist to create a new version of the original song."Despite being in the clear, legally, "Weird Al" goes out of his way to shore it up with the artists. "Al does get permission from the original writers of the songs that he parodies," says the archived official "Weird Al" website. "He feels it's important to maintain the relationships that he's built with artists and writers over the years. Plus, Al wants to make sure that he gets his songwriter credit (as writer of new lyrics) as well as his rightful share of the royalties."
                Last edited by code187; 09-23-2016, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Strange thing is. CTF-Abreez already been ported! On youtube there is a ported version, but cant find any download links or whatsoever

Comment

Working...
                  X