Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How high can the polycount of objects in a map be,performancewise ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How high can the polycount of objects in a map be,performancewise ?

Hi , i want to create a map.
    If i want to create a map in the visual quality of Chill, Underland or Outpost 23 how high can the polycount of hero assets be to get a decent performance out of a system like a Quadcore 4x3k,8 ghz nvidia gtx 970 ?
    Which tricks can i use to make the texture maps smaller ?

I have tried to import a single hero asset with 500 000 polys and it seems UE4 editor crashes while it trys to import it. Task manager shows program as inactive .... maybe it takes just very long but this loading time is not viable.
    Is it normal that a 500K poly asset takes forever when i have a gtx 970 (not the best but not the worst card ether)?

I dont think the gtx 970 has anything to do with giving you extra performance when importing things to the engine. How much RAM you have does.
    Join the community Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
      I dont think the gtx 970 has anything to do with giving you extra performance when importing things to the engine. How much RAM you have does.
      I do a lot with modeling, so i have 20 gb of ram. And taskmanager shows only 13 gb of the 20 gb in use when UE4 editor seems to crash. So it should have a puffer of extra 7 gb , why does it not make use of them.
      Do i have to confic something in the options menue so that it uses all of the 20 gb ?
      I have created high detailed assets in zbrush/blender (maya is to expensive = hate greedy adobe..).
      So if i can build them i should be able to load them into UE4 , right ?

But my question is, if you build a map for UT 4 what is the polycount of objects you put in your map in average ?
      How many of those objects do you have in your maps and at what framerate is it running than when you have an average setup like quadcore 3,8 and gtx 970 ?
      I mean maps in the graphical quality of titanpass or outpost 23 ?
      Last edited by missingreality; 10-03-2016, 08:07 AM.

Comment

First of all OS, drivers and what other software you run at the time also needs RAM. Second, the game does not use high-poly versions of assets - for example in-game models for statues on Chill are around 7-8000 polys each. All the extra details from original high-poly assets are baked into materials that are then applied to the low-poly version.
        "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
        - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Working...
        X