Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 on 1 Map Interest

Hey gang!

I'm contemplating the idea of designing some 1 on 1 maps with a specific objective in mind. I've always enjoyed games/levels where you're in kind of a creepy/eerie setting and not knowing when or where you are going to encounter your enemy. Ambient sounds that keep you on edge then the flurry of combat when you unexpectedly cross paths always seems to add another level of fun to the experience.

I'm interested in designing 1 on 1 maps of the size and setting to create that 'on the edge of your seat' experience you just don't get when running around in a frenzy with a multitude of people. Two individuals connected across the world in a showdown with one another could have a just as rewarding game experience as with 10 or 12 others if done right. Whether an abandoned structure, creepy industrial area or catacombs I feel like this style of map could offer an interesting change-up to the traditional UT experience. Obviously maps have to be designed intelligently and with balance to elevate the 1 on 1 combat and add the creepiness and anxiety factor. I've even thought of the element of traps that could be triggered or put in place by one player to frag the other. Of course this would have to enhance the game play and not completely change the flow or probability of the players continuing to move and encounter one another. The available weapon set would likely be paired down to one that makes sense for the best 1 on 1 experience for the style of the map. Ultimately I would love to do new weapons that would take the 1 on 1 experience to a whole new level of fun and even make the matches spectator worthy. Feel like we've splattered each other enough with the default UT weapons over the years.

All that in mind, I want to measure the interest and get some feedback from the community on the overall interest and thoughts on what could enhance or be a barrier to this type of 1 on 1 experience.

So, the gates are open....pour in with your thoughts, questions, experiences and ideas! I'm interested in collaborating with others on the maps as well so don't be shy if your down with the idea and would like to contribute. This should be an intriguing and educational experience and who knows, maybe even lead to an awesome mod in UT.
Working...
X