Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[BUG] Box BSP pushing character upwards

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

I created a Geometry>Box and extruded a shape. When my character collides with the wall, it pushes me into the air/bounces me.

https://www.twitch.tv/phroxenstatus/v/106105307

[edit]
    So I tested this on Example_Map and was having the same issue - I'm going to validate my Editor to see if that will change anything.

Still happens after validating the Editor.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by phroxen; 12-08-2016, 02:20 PM.
    UT4 Mutators: [Server Config] [Monster Announcer]
    UT4 Maps: [Ported UT99 Maps]

Just a few things to look at here, which you probably have already looked at:

Collision & 'character can step on' settings.

A character in UE4 is an actor interacting with the environment. As you have not changed the character/actor settings and are dealing with Geometry, it must be the collision settings of the geometry, including any 'physical materials' being used for the actual surfaces.

Shooting from the hip, that's where I would aim.
    Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
      Just a few things to look at here, which you probably have already looked at:

Collision & 'character can step on' settings.

A character in UE4 is an actor interacting with the environment. As you have not changed the character/actor settings and are dealing with Geometry, it must be the collision settings of the geometry, including any 'physical materials' being used for the actual surfaces.

Shooting from the hip, that's where I would aim.
      Thanks for the reply! I do not see anything under the box's detail tab showing Collision settings or Character can Step on. I do remember seeing that under the Static Mesh though.

I was doing some testing and believe the curved stair well is whats causing my issue. If I create a simple map of 2 Boxes and run against the wall, it works fine. The second I add the Curved Stairwell next to the wall, it creates the bumping issue.

https://www.twitch.tv/phroxenstatus/v/106342405

Any reason for this to happen?

Comment

Originally posted by phroxen View Post
        Any reason for this to happen?
        I'm sure there is, but surely you are not going to use BSP in the final submission are you?

This, was kinda why I was talking about the interaction of character with the environment. It should always be static meshes, even if they are converted from BSP geometry - then there are blocking volumes and navigation blockers to wrap around everythang so you got some super-smooth pinks and greens for your character to wall-ride against.
        Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
          I'm sure there is, but surely you are not going to use BSP in the final submission are you?

This, was kinda why I was talking about the interaction of character with the environment. It should always be static meshes, even if they are converted from BSP geometry - then there are blocking volumes and navigation blockers to wrap around everythang so you got some super-smooth pinks and greens for your character to wall-ride against.
          This would be the first map that I am building from scratch and not using the tool to convert everything - so all of this is new to me. I even created the map all over from scratch because I thought I messed something up :'(

Creating a SM from the curved stairwell did fix the issue. Thanks again for the information!

ps: Basically every BSP wall attached to the ground encountered the bumping issue, no matter how far/close it was placed to the stairwell.
          Last edited by phroxen; 12-10-2016, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Cool.

Glad it's working as intended now - BUT, don't take it for granted you haven't found a bug when you may have done.

Bug report it, using the format required and make it 'official' so the guys at the top looking into the GEO tool can look at this, also.

Just a quick line on this...you can select all your brushes, convert them, save the static meshes, and then 'undo' the command.

IF you did this, you would undo the conversion of the brushes/BSP, BUT! you would not undo the creation and subsequent saving of the converted BSP's which are now Static Meshes.

This, as you can imagine, is quite handy...as when doing itterations on design, version 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 etc, you can run a conversion, save the meshes, undo the conversion, save a new umap with the new version, and run a light pass/build/package with the static meshes - but still have the brushes in the previous build untouched and intact.

This is something I do a lot when incinerating/iterating design, as static meshes are certainly more efficient - yet I can go back to brushes when chewing through versions of the 3D space.

Final designs are fully 'arted' with no converted BSP's or actual BSP's, those are just for rezzing, due to the enormous speed it gives you when building. Only exception would be a large floor area or wall.

If there is no visual benefit to creating a new 3D asset, then there is no logistical benefit(TM).

Source2 and CryEngine5 have interesting Poly tools which pretty much mimic BSP, but have the added benefit of being fully maleble for arting, but still...it's hard to knock a seriously fast level designer using their BSP tool of choice.
            Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Working...
            X