Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is DM-Deck too small?

Not wishing to start a flame war, but I must ask the question:

Is the current BSP Alpha version of DM-Deck too small?

I was looking at a re-skin earlier in the year, and didn't like the proportions I was coming up with - revisited it today and again, I found the proportions off by the smallest margin in that it feels quite narrow and constrained around the pool areas and all corridors. So, basically the whole map

The main pool room is odd in that at certain angles it feels too open, yet the narrow slides off the teleport do not feel comfortable.

The corridors with the angular walls feel too hemmed in.

It's all about how I feel when bunny-hopping around the map, I guess - but it's a well-trodden map, so...does anyone else feel it's too small? As I'm looking to reskin it for fun, I wouldn;t wish to do this only to find everyone hates the re-skin size change when the BSP version is really what people would prefer....

Comments please. This is very important, and I'm not interested in changing the formulae of Coca-cola.
    YES!
    37.04%
    NO!
    59.26%
    Size is not important.
    3.70%
    Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

C'mon man size isn't important...

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAK07 View Post
      C'mon man size isn't important...
      I guess it depends on the size of the brush clip, then.

Well, it's not just the size of the map, but the spacing - there just doesn't feel as if there is enough room to move about. All around the twin-lift area is really noticeable for this. Lots of catching on geometry, snags, bumping into boxes, floor-slides not completing as the end of the slide ends about 5 units behind a wall.

It's quite frustrating...then you got the teleport exit platform area with (incredibly) narrow sight-lines on the Y axis for the corridor entrances/exits either' side.

It feels wrong!
      Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Always thought it's slightly too cramped for UT4 which all early stock maps were. Gameplay suffers from it.

Comment

Before you do anything, please be aware [MENTION=2998]chonglee[/MENTION] is already very far in the process of building a new Deck and he is doing really well. His version is slightly less crumped and I love it same as many others.

See here.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker_CZ View Post
            Before you do anything, please be aware @chonglee is already very far in the process of building a new Deck and he is doing really well. His version is slightly less crumped and I love it same as many others.

See here.
            Seen it. Downloaded it. Played it.

Fully aware of what the Chong man is doing, but...he started over two years ago and is taking a different direction than I.

The question stands: is the current BSP version of DM-Deck by Epic games too small?
            Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

It probably is too small. The scale change a long while back packed out nicely for some maps, but other maps simply became too cramped, which hurts the gameplay. But I feel that deck is not a prime example of that though, e.g. DM-Outpost is really really cramped, the bases in CTF-Facing Worlds are, the bases in CTF-Pistola, DM-Backspace is also quite cramped, probably a couple of others too.
              Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

In fine with the current size of Deck.... enlarging it would make it less flavorable for <= 6 players imho.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Van View Post
                  In fine with the current size of Deck.... enlarging it would make it less flavorable for <= 6 players imho.
                  Oh, I think the size of the map is fine, but the spacing is not.

I'm thinking more length and girth than actual vertical penetration into the brushs.
                  Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
                    Oh, I think the size of the map is fine, but the spacing is not.

I'm thinking more length and girth than actual vertical penetration into the brushs.
                    exactly! its not just the size but i feel some parts can be altered especially there near lifts

Comment

Talking about Deck, whats happened to Deck67 by Xelus?
                      CHAOS en Krojerk Gaming - UT Maps gameplay, Full Unreal Walkthrough and more!

Comment

Originally posted by DiXiMaN View Post
                        Talking about Deck, whats happened to Deck67 by Xelus?
                        Don't know, but I liked the colouring, and the spacing was nearing perfection.
                        Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                        X