Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help, first mapping attempt

Hello world!

So I've been testing my skill at building geometry so far, and I'm stuck on one minor point.
    I intend for a small starcase to look like this:

But the staircase comes out with the texture stretched and see-through holes in it:

Players cannot shoot through those holes, but they do look ugly. I can't tell why the texture is doing what it is doing, and the subtractive brush I have working in this area isn't working completely. I have a staircase right across from the broken one shown here, and that one is displaying correctly and being subtracted from properly.

Any help in this issue is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Hey!

Those look like BSP holes to me, check out this wiki page: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Basic_...al_Tournament); specifically 'Issues and Fixes - BSP holes'. Should help you clear up those issues!

Comment

If you do a wireframe snapshot and post it, we'll be able to help you - otherwise it's guesswork.

My guess: if you change the brush solidity to 'semi-solid', it might fix it.

Staircases have always been a bit glitchy. Some say it's a coding issue, but you hear all manner of reasons why...in truth I avoid them like a bar full of rotund women on a hen night.
      Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Ok, so those were caused by BSP for sure. I tried re-pasting the entire area and it seems to move everything properly until lighting is processed. I get two lighting errors that have no reference:

It tells me to enable Error Coloring to visualize, but I don't know how to do this.

After I move the segment into place and it builds lighting the entire area disappears. The full editor view is below, I'll take more pictures in detail

Closeup of the wireframe in the problem-stairway area:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by eLucidity; 12-11-2016, 03:06 PM.

Comment

UPDATE: I removed the brushes in this area and it seems to have fixed my problems with the geometry there. I'm considering replacing the staircases as well.

I'm still getting the "Overlapping UVs" and "Lighmap UV Overlapping by 2.8%" though. Can anyone shed some light on what that means?

Comment

You get "Overlapping UVs" and "Lighmap UV Overlapping" errors with BSP from time to time; they're nothing really to worry about. When you cook lighting the engine creates lightmaps (textures) of where the light/shadow is and uses that to render the lighting conditions. Sometimes the engine gets confused with how to draw these lightmaps and overlaps areas. Since BSP is only really used for prototyping this kind of error doesn't have any real impact unless you start seeing big shadows places you shouldn't be.

From your wireframe images I can see you have some non planar brushes (triangles). These tend to be a frequent cause of holes, there's a bit on the wiki page I linked before about it. The long and short is try to keep to rectangular faces rather than triangular ones whenever and wherever possible.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by eLucidity View Post
              UPDATE: I removed the brushes in this area and it seems to have fixed my problems with the geometry there. I'm considering replacing the staircases as well.

I'm still getting the "Overlapping UVs" and "Lightmap UV Overlapping by 2.8%" though. Can anyone shed some light on what that means?
              What he said.

Adding, as all geometry are triangles at its core reductive level of topology, lighting calculations get 'triggered' and upset.

A simple rule is selecting all surfaces (SHIFT-S) and making them uniform in Light-Map Resolution and Geometry Alignment.

Having consistency at the iteration stage is important - not using lights, or using lights sparingly, and just slapping a fat ambient cube-map to light everything whilst you are at this stage, will solve a lot of problems. Seriously. No reason you should waste time on having a big directional light and 100's of spot and point lights slowing you down. No one is going to care about the way it looks when a map is at the blocking stage.

Just chisel the geometry and get it tested 'brah.
              Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

I noticed with your screenshots above your working with a grind of "1"! .... you would be better off working at a grid of 10 or 50! ... less BSP problems!

... I would only use grid "1" for maybe static mesh alignments when needed!

Good Luck, Have Fun!

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-

Comment

Oh ****, yeah that. I missed that entirely! I normally work at 50 and have a custom 25 grid for doing stuff at 45 deg and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
                    ..............................and have a custom 25 grid for doing stuff at 45 deg and the like.
                    ah, good tip!

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-

Comment

Working...
                    X