How to post Unreal Tournament content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] How to post Unreal Tournament content

Github has been a great way for us to distribute the game out to the UT community, and has proven to be a rather simple way for us to distribute official content as well. That said, it's a less than ideal setup for content submission.

Please do not submit content to Github. Github will continue to be the source for official endorsed content in Unreal Tournament, and this will help to silo the "core game" from mods, updates, and new community driven content.

We're working on a simple short-term solution right now, and I'll post details here as soon as they're available. Investigations into a long term solution are ongoing; if you have suggestions, we'd love to hear them.

Goals:
    - Safe and secure process where anyone can upload content that is then available to anyone and everyone who has the game. We want you to be able to upload, and to see what other people have uploaded.
    - Simple way to download and install content you are interested in.
    - A way to review or rate that content, preferably driven by the community.
    Jim Brown
    @EntropicDev
    Epic Games

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
    - Safe and secure process where anyone can upload content
    That's going to be hard without some sort of moderation as I'm sure that there will be someone somewhere that will could snake in malicious code.

A way to review or rate that content, preferably driven by the community.
    I think there will need to be some way to exlude ratings on WIP content. For example if I'm making something big and I commit the first sprint into Git, I don't want to get rated 1 star because it's not finished.

Comment

Github has been a great way for us to distribute the game out to the UT community, and has proven to be a rather simple way for us to distribute official content as well. That said, it's a less than ideal setup for content submission.

Please do not submit content to Github. Github will continue to be the source for official endorsed content in Unreal Tournament, and this will help to silo the "core game" from mods, updates, and new community driven content.

We're working on a simple short-term solution right now, and I'll post details here as soon as they're available. Investigations into a long term solution are ongoing; if you have suggestions, we'd love to hear them.

Goals:
      - Safe and secure process where anyone can upload content that is then available to anyone and everyone who has the game. We want you to be able to upload, and to see what other people have uploaded.

Great to hear what Epic think about this!

For now I will just upload to online storage. It is good enough.

Originally posted by NameTaken33 View Post
      That's going to be hard without some sort of moderation as I'm sure that there will be someone somewhere that will could snake in malicious code.

I think there will need to be some way to exlude ratings on WIP content. For example if I'm making something big and I commit the first sprint into Git, I don't want to get rated 1 star because it's not finished.
      Yeah there could be a WIP section and a Released section. Or use this forum for WIP content review and comment.
      [WIP]: DM-Deck(Remake) | DM-DeepBlue | DM-Peak(Remake)

My stuff: @ Youtube | @ Small site | @ My blog

Comment

I'm excited to see what Epic produces even in "short term" form Entropy. It would be great if I could just submit a BSP layout that everyone could download and run around in before I decide to move forward with meshes. Some kind of subscription based feed where people could be emailed (Tweeted, Facebooked, whatever) to be kept abreast new drafts of maps as well as finished releases to the marketplace. The first thing that comes to me is a tiered release system much like in regular production. Maps could move along through stages such as initial draft, finished BSP layout, meshing/lighting draft and then final release with notifications being sent out at each stage. In the end the names don't matter obviously, but I think I've illustrated what I'm trying to get across

Comment

In response to:

Goals:
          Entropy that reminds me what I just posted in the submission instructions area as below:

I wonder if you'd have something such as a 3D warehouse like Google had where you could submit and vote on the individual components that makeup the game, it wouldn't need to host the files, just provide option to link to the downloads, give basic option to vote, and basic description. The information could be organized into simple categories related to the content type, even including the Works In Progress. That way it can be more organized and easier for everyone to access and rate.
          Sounds like you're describing the Marketplace of Unreal Engine 4 via the Launcher, mixed with a system similar to what DAZ Store and 3D Warehouse has had setup for many years now.
          Last edited by KnightTechDev; 06-29-2014, 09:46 AM.
          The Development Process:
          We take what we know and build something from that.

Comment

Working...
          X