Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to load map .pak into Unreal 4 Editor

Hi guys,

The drive that I had Unreal Editor on died and unfortunately I have no idea how to load the map I was working on into Unreal Editor now that I have installed it on a new drive. The file is currently a .PAK file, so I feel like I should be extracting this first maybe. I have tried unpacking it and it says "is not archive" so I assume I am doing something wrong. I believe I need to be loading a umap asset or something like that...

The location I have put the .PAK in is E:\Games\UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\RestrictedAssets\Maps.

I strongly feel that this has been answered elsewhere, but I am really struggling to find it... In any case, thanks for the time, I'm keen to get back to it!
    My maps:

CTF-DBMBridge: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-CTF-DBMBridge

HI DBM,

u have to extract your pak file, using the UnrealPak.exe Packer.

open a cmd terminal: And cd to ?:\Program Files\Epic Games\UnrealTournamentEditor\Engine\Binaries/Win64
    and execute without anything will open a help doc.

UnrealPak.exe (path)DM-test -extract (path) << last path of your map projekt.

But if u have some assets in there that have no versioninformation, maybe your Editor will crash.

hope it works for u.
    TreJAM

ps. Sry for bad english
    Last edited by trejam; 02-25-2017, 03:55 PM.
    Musik: https://soundcloud.com/trejam
    eMail : trejam@gmx.de
    Irc : Quakenet #Utzone ; Globalgamers #GlobalGamers#UT4.eu #ut4pugs

My UT4 Map Projekt : DM-Trejam_RC4, DM-Lopo_003

Comment

I hasn't been answered afaik. It is impossible to do as most likely (about 99.999%) files inside a pak file are cooked. Although the editor/Epic claims to be able to load cooked assets as of UE4.10, I personally didn't have any success doing so.

Also, the extracted map file might load or open but you might not be able to work on it like it would be an editor umap file. Cooking strips, removes, converts and bakes content which is irreversible.

If anyone has more information about that, I like to hear/know that as well.

Edit: [MENTION=234348]trejam[/MENTION], does it work though? Several major engine update I tried loading such cooked assets and it didn't work.
      Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 02-23-2017, 05:59 AM.
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Thanks for the quick response guys, it is much appreciated.

@trejam, I gave your suggestion a shot. I was successfully able to extract the package and it came out with all the assets I had in the project. So that was all good, but what didn't work was then moving this into the relevant folders in UnrealTournamentEditor. I was using custom materials that may have caused problems (the last version of my map was August 2015), but essentially the editor was crashing on start up. Is there any way to add version information outside of the editor, in say a notepad file or something?

@RattleSN4K3, I think that what you were mentioning regarding it not working might be true. I would love to have had a map where there were no custom assets at all and see if that loaded successfully, but it is a bit late for that. Do you have any suggestions that may make been just the map shell itself recoverable, or is it a bit of a lost cause?
        My maps:

Comment

Originally posted by DolphinBuffMan View Post
          @RattleSN4K3, I think that what you were mentioning regarding it not working might be true. I would love to have had a map where there were no custom assets at all and see if that loaded successfully, but it is a bit late for that. Do you have any suggestions that may make been just the map shell itself recoverable, or is it a bit of a lost cause?
          Not that I know of. A trivial approach would be creating a script (C++ most likely) which would be able to convert a loaded map's brushes and Actors in game to a text file with the format of T3D... to be able to open/import that in the editor.

I actually tried open a cooked (not extracted) single asset in the editor and it doesn't work. Such file can be seen in the Cooked folders:
          UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Saved\Cooked\PACKAGENAME

No success therefore I'm not sure if the editor is really able to:
          Originally posted by UE4.10 release notes
          New: Cooked packages can now be loaded in the editor if cooked for the same non-editor version of the platform the editor runs on.
          Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 02-23-2017, 08:35 AM. Reason: Typos
          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

When it says platform, is that referring to what OS? Cos my drive that died was running Windows 7, but my new one is running Window 10. Even then, I would expect that it is not going to work. I am OK with C++, but I have incredibly little knowledge of how Unreal does things that I doubt that I would be able to script that. Not to worry, I will just have to start again I guess. Thanks anyway guys.
            My maps:

Comment

Originally posted by DolphinBuffMan View Post
              When it says platform, is that referring to what OS? Cos my drive that died was running Windows 7, but my new one is running Window 10. Even then, I would expect that it is not going to work. I am OK with C++, but I have incredibly little knowledge of how Unreal does things that I doubt that I would be able to script that. Not to worry, I will just have to start again I guess. Thanks anyway guys.
              If cooked for Windows (any version), it can be opened in the Windows editor. If cooked for Mac, it can be opened in the Mac editor. Same for Linux. That's what I read from that feature.

Another way would be adding the feature to open cooked assests in editor, and see why it crashes by debugging the editor (compiled from Github sources). But all these approaches would be a lot of work.

Comment

Working...
              X