Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enhanced interactivity and it's effect on combat (Say that 3 times, real fast.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enhanced interactivity and it's effect on combat (Say that 3 times, real fast.)

While I am a sucker for eye candy, I also have a huge soft spot for novel ways of altering gameplay mechanics in the typical FPS. 3DRealms excelled at this in the Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, and Prey games(I know it was developed by human head). People can fly did it pretty well with painkiller and bulletstorm(Which I have always conjectured was limited popularity-wise mostly by it's lack of sandbox competitive multiplayer, seriously who wouldn't want to throw their friends into a cactus or splat them with doors). I have of course never tried to convince Epic to do anything like that at the engine level in UT because that just seems alien to the game.

However ever since encountering Healpod for UT99 I have searched for maps that have such gameplay altering things in them through every iteration of UT (and yet I wasn't a fan of assualt for ut2k4 really ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think it was the objectives.) No Dm maps I know of have come close to date to adding the level functionality I am after.

In my own maps I have tried to do this and came close in ut2k4 but alas a bit too late due to set backs resulting from technical difficulties.

Example map. And yes I built this test-bed upon campgrounds, though significantly altered, intentionally as it is so widely known that I wanted people to pick up on any subtle change I made as well as the minor ones.

@40 seconds you can see spikes on the ceiling they don't do much damage (1 dps) but really hoppy people would hate the areas with these.
    @1 minute a masher style triggered pentagram can be seen designed to smash rocket campers. Or hapless passers-by.
    @1:25 a shoot spot in the window above the stairs will put spikes up your butt instead of killing anybody in the window which could be accessed through bsp I added.
    @2:00ish There is more spikes. I tried to add a script that would trap gibs in the spikes that may splatter up there and/or cause blood to drip from that area. I never got it to work so I slapped a gib static mesh or 2 up there.
    @ about 2:30 I run across a dias that kills me, it is supposed to have god rays that disappear, play a evil laugh, and broadcast the message on your screen that "your offering is acceptable". Why? It is close to a weapon locker with a redeemer, and I am a jerk.
    [MENTION=50456]3[/MENTION]:24 there is a room with a healing volume but only one entrance/exit and like 5 bot paths that converge at its door.
    [MENTION=50456]3[/MENTION]:50 Greed doesn't pay
    I then spend a few minutes running around added geometry around 6:00 there is a grinder thing on the floor I jump over running over it does 10 dps falling in with it, but you have to try for that almost, does 1000dps so uh yeah instagib.
    @^6:20 We see that mercury missiles by Wormbo does indeed work in UT2k4 and ty Wormbo for what is my favorite weapon. Always wanted it as a turret on the hellbender that fired like a antiaircraft gun.

I wanted to make the cubes in this map have multiple jump destinations and then the ability to shoot them out from under people(triggered mover) could never figure that one out. The game kept crashing when I tried to add a jump destination to a mover.

I also did this in UT3 to a lesser degree but that game took so long to bake and my computer was kinda underwhelming that I never finished a map.

Now with this iteration I am now longer saddled by underwhelming tech and as such I am looking forward to diving back in. I did have an issue where the editor took a half hour to load but I found that windows 10 was being an idiot about ownership (Noted here: just in case anybody else has a similar problem).

TL;DR pertinent bits

Though I have already worked a bit in the editor it was mostly about learning the basics, going through the tutorials and building some simple maps. I do have some concerns.
    1. I am a lousy programmer, how much will this hinder me?
    2. Clearly the engine supports this kind of evil but is there much of an impact on performance? In UT3 lots of movers and triggered events in one area caused some serious lag issues.
    and 3. I had trouble crediting characters for killing opponents with booby traps in UT2k4, would that still be problem.

For my first map I am paper prototyping (sketches and mechanical drawings, atm not looking at layout) an aztec/mayan/alien themed temple with various mechanics.
    • Stone blocks held by ropes that can be shot (replayabilty issue on this trap)
    • Punji sticks from the floor that can be triggered in some fashion
    • Rooms that fill with water or lava
    • Totems that blow gusts of wind
    • Big monkey god that can clap splat somebody on a supper pick-up platform.
    • Catapult type platforms that can fling a person into static punji sticks on a target surface

Etc etc
    Last edited by [GZU]Elmur_fud; 04-07-2017, 07:06 AM. Reason: forgot some formatting

I predict there will be a lot more of this type of thing in UT4 maps because the blueprint system is so powerful and easy to use. The level designer no longer needs to dive into the code behind the scenes to trigger events. A couple ideas I prototyped but didn't really pan out:

1. A TDM map with certain platforms/geometry that only collided with a certain team. So say Red captured a certain objective, they activate platforms that can allow their team to get places. Blue team walks through these platforms, which in some cases was an advantage and allowed them to slip into places Red couldn't. When blue recaptured the objective they gained control and it flipped.

2. A room with rising water, like you said. I tested it with showdown, which has short rounds and makes sense for this kind of gameplay feature. Implementation was easy, it's just difficult to make a fun layout.

For current examples in UT4, see DM-Cannon which has a cannon that launches nearby players off the map when it is shot. I have a map (not updated for this build though) with triggerable doors like DM-Pressure. What I learned is that the hardest part is replication and making sure the same events occur for each player on the server. But besides that, blueprints are easy to learn and have low enough overhead that you can get away with using them in the final product.

Also I should note that the navigation/bot pathing does not play well with these kinds of events. They may improve it in the future though.
    DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Originally posted by tidu View Post
      1. A TDM map with certain platforms/geometry that only collided with a certain team. So say Red captured a certain objective, they activate platforms that can allow their team to get places. Blue team walks through these platforms, which in some cases was an advantage and allowed them to slip into places Red couldn't. When blue recaptured the objective they gained control and it flipped.
      I would really like to see that map, and see how you did that. I had wanted to make a CTF map with such collisions in UT3, but I could not figure out how to script the colliding, even without toggle objectives.

Comment

Working...
      X