Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to optimize package size

Hi Everyone.

When i first packaged my custom map all with custom textures and meshes the package size was 750mb.
    After everything was done my package is now 87MB. That is a significant drop.

Briefly.. for now i will explain the process on how i got it so small.
    First let me say. UT is fast. You move in the game 90% of the time. If you are a camper... well... not so much.
    That being said its important to remember this.

While working in the editor is easy to fixate on every single texture and detail. But is it clear enough. Is the resolution high enough etc.
    Well it will never be. Not from an editors perspective.

But ingame its a different story. You are jumping, running, sliding all while staying focused on one thing.
    The enemy. So sacrifices can be made. And that is what is required. Or lets rather call it compromise.

For DM-Malo all my roughness maps were 512x512. 1024 or above could not be justified due to the above reasons.
    I move to reusing textures. Not even wisely.

To investigate your size issues if you have any.
    Run CMD

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UnrealTournamentEditor\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealPak.exe "PAKFILENAMEHERE -extract "directory"

This will then allow you to browse the files that was packed to see which ones are eating up all the space.
    I lowered all my textures - over 69 custom textures to 1024x1024 with some going as low as 256x256

The workflow i used was simple.
    Get the name. Paste the name in content browser... look at size, open in external editor. Resize... reimport.
    Easy as pie.

Dont get hung up on wanting 4096x4096 textures for everything.
    Make a backup of your textures etc.

And then start experimenting. See how low you can put the res on the textures before you notice it.
    I have massive geometry with a single normal looking 100% at 512x512 res. Simply due to the fact that ingame... you hardly scrutinize assets. You play the game.

Hope this helps.

Hmm i get an error when i try to do this. "This app cannot be executed on your computer". Running as administrator doesn't work either. Thats too bad because i have a 300Mb sized map nobody wants to play because of the fps drops and size :/
    Last edited by garuDa; 04-10-2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I will have a look. I was planning on posting screenshots but my extractor wasn't working at the time of writing

Comment

There might be another way to reduce package size: lightning.
        I have been told that making out of sight surfaces black (with black material) will make the lightning data smaller.
        Never tried but this might help !
        You may also change the lightning resolution of some brushes to reduce the lightning data as welll.

Comment

Here is the command i use

C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UnrealTournamentEditor\Engine\Binaries\Win64>UnrealPak.exe d:\PAK\ldk\DM-LDK-06-WindowsNoEditor.pak -extract d:\PAK\ldk

Comment

Working...
          X