Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Common theme for Day 1 Maps

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Common theme for Day 1 Maps

    I feel like the mapping community is really going to have to set the bar high for the initial release of this game. Not only with level designs that set the tone for the rest of the game but also giving the game a theme and polished aspect. Everyone seems to be in agreement that the game needs to stick to the Arena/Death match competition theme, so lets make sure as a mapping community we follow this and set the bar for day 1. Far to often in the latest UT games it feels more like a COD/Battlefield game than what Unreal Tournament really is. While sure neat maps like Bathrooms are fun to play, but they shouldnt be the theme of the game. Here are some ideas that I feel would be a good idea to stick too during the initial maps.

    No ports of generic/remade maps like Thorns/Civilwar/BarnBurner/2Bathrooms and so on. Level design has become extremely bland in that we have two extremes. Either simple small generic frag fest maps or odd themed based maps that dont fit into the whole area/death battle theme, but are neat/fun to play. Making a map that is in an office building or on an aircraft carrier does not make sense for the unreal tournament universe.

    Everyone has played on theme based real world maps in COD/Battlefield/CS, we need maps that are new and exciting and have never been played before. Stick to a common theme of this is a competition of a battle to the death, everything about the map is an engineered organized sport of death. The maps should reflect that idea in that the sole purpose of the map where players battle is that its a structure designed to facilitate the killing of people. When you make maps that are large scales of things like office buildings, the player is pulled out of the whole theme of the game. Instead you are in a giant room with objects to dodge around and thats all. In that sense lots of other games have done that level better and are more fun to play. If I want to feel like I am battling on an AirCraft carrier I will go play COD BO2, it has a great map for that. If I want to run around in an office building and shoot people, I will play Counter Strike. If I want to run around in a death match arena where killing is a competitive sport, ill play UT4.

    UT4 needs a face lift from the previous UT games and from the large array of current/past FPS. Unreal Tournament isnt a warfare base game, it isnt a tactical based game, its an Arena shooter and if that isnt largely present in the map releases, people wont see the difference between this and COD.

    One thing I disliked about UT4 after a while was that the only maps anyone ever played were remakes of UT99 maps. It got boring so fast. I will admit I made a few maps for UT2k4 that were basically refreshes of UT99 maps and I wish I didnt. Please remember that this game wont last if its just a rehash of UT99/2K4. Maps like Thorns/Civilwar/2Bathrooms and so on will always exist and someone will always remake them. However if you are here and you are reading this, I can only assume that you have a deeper respect and skill of map making in that you would leave those simple/refresh maps to someone of less talent.
    PayBack

    #2
    Im interested to hear what people think the potential sale of maps on the marketplace will do for quality and production and whether remakes qualify for sale and also what people would be willing to pay for a map
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sm.zombieultra

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by WarpSpasm View Post
      Im interested to hear what people think the potential sale of maps on the marketplace will do for quality and production and whether remakes qualify for sale and also what people would be willing to pay for a map
      I think it'll work out just like the mobile app stores. There are still horrible and ugly apps there, but they're buried by the popular more pretty apps. I'm more curious as to how the market will work in terms of sales. When you sale something on a mobile phone everyone with a phone purchases it and you get like .70 per person, however with UT. It appears that it will only need to be bought once for a server / group of servers.

      Comment


        #4
        some of the most popular maps are bathroom maps i doubt that will ever change
        "For those willing to build a mount of bones and climb to the top, in environments that stun, against AI that kills, for those willing to stake their lives in pursuit of victory, we salute you."

        Comment


          #5
          Im not saying that needs to change, im saying lets not rush to remake them. Lets focus on new maps.
          PayBack

          Comment


            #6
            I plan to make only new maps and I want to try hard to make them both detailed like a next gen game should be yet easy to look at. I want portal test chamber meets Unreal in a death match arena style if possible.

            Here is what i have so far.
            http://imgur.com/a/HB5YH/embed
            - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
            YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
            Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
            Twitter: @zZCastleZz

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Castle View Post
              I plan to make only new maps and I want to try hard to make them both detailed like a next gen game should be yet easy to look at. I want portal test chamber meets Unreal in a death match arena style if possible.

              Here is what i have so far.
              http://imgur.com/a/HB5YH/embed
              that looks great so far, how do you know what scale to build it?
              PayBack

              Comment


                #8
                I don't think we necessarily need a common theme with the maps. One of the best things about UT was that there was a huge variety in the maps. I'd hate to see map makers limited to a common theme and as a result seeing less variety in the maps.
                That said I can agree that I'd hope there would be lots of new maps and not just straight up ports. While I expect there to be some and would be more then happy to play a new port of Deck 16 and Face I also agree it would be a little unfortunate if there are only remakes. Says me who has been playing lots of remakes in UT3 which somehow feel just a bit wrong oh well (no idea if its the map or ut3 or something else).

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by awergh View Post
                  I don't think we necessarily need a common theme with the maps. One of the best things about UT was that there was a huge variety in the maps. I'd hate to see map makers limited to a common theme and as a result seeing less variety in the maps.
                  I think we should embrace the antithesis of modern design philosophies ruled by console first person shooters. When making call of duty levels the goal is to make every single level exactly the same thing with a different theme. Back in the days of COD 4 you might pick a loadout depending on the level but these days every map is designed to be the perfect formulaic mix. In Unreal Tournament you have a lot of different types of levels and you allow players to pick the ones they want to play. Ultimately in most FPS communities we end up picking 3 or 4 super popular maps and almost ignore the others. But with that said, the maps that rise to the top are the ones that people most like to play. In the modern console FPS they try to make every level a mixture of the same thing and attempt to take away the players power of choosing levels to play.

                  I say no to this, I say we embrace a large variety of levels then streamline the process of picking the ones you want to play. Let the best ones rise to the top. The only thing that should be reasonably consistent is the quality of the art.
                  - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
                  YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
                  Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
                  Twitter: @zZCastleZz

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Castle View Post
                    I think we should embrace the antithesis of modern design philosophies ruled by console first person shooters. When making call of duty levels the goal is to make every single level exactly the same thing with a different theme. Back in the days of COD 4 you might pick a loadout depending on the level but these days every map is designed to be the perfect formulaic mix. In Unreal Tournament you have a lot of different types of levels and you allow players to pick the ones they want to play. Ultimately in most FPS communities we end up picking 3 or 4 super popular maps and almost ignore the others. But with that said, the maps that rise to the top are the ones that people most like to play. In the modern console FPS they try to make every level a mixture of the same thing and attempt to take away the players power of choosing levels to play.

                    I say no to this, I say we embrace a large variety of levels then streamline the process of picking the ones you want to play. Let the best ones rise to the top. The only thing that should be reasonably consistent is the quality of the art.

                    you really didnt read my post at all did you?
                    PayBack

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Castle View Post
                      Back in the days of COD 4 you might pick a loadout depending on the level but these days every map is designed to be the perfect formulaic mix.
                      Off-topic but that is not the case at all. I play CoD a lot, minus Bops. Specifically TDM and that I can tell you that I have several various load outs which gets used depending on which map gets voted. If you're running one or two classes it's very unlikely that you will get above a 1.5KD without customizing your guns for maps.

                      that looks great so far, how do you know what scale to build it?
                      Back on topic, there is no final player scale or movement yet. Once that decision is made and placed in, then map makers can start scaling their map appropriately.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Deck16 or riot.
                        Overlord or riot.

                        That being said, I definitely agree with your point about encouraging creativity and making sure the maps shipped are pure, contribute to positive gameplay experience, and kick ***. I hope this game isn't released before it's ready.
                        Purveyor of Unreal Tournament.

                        <khxmz> thanksgiving is about being thankful for what you have nvz, not asking your favorite game developer for more hats

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by -jay- View Post
                          Making a map that is in an office building or on an aircraft carrier does not make sense for the unreal tournament universe.
                          Yeah, but most players have never played the original Unreal I and II, especially the newer generation. To me Unreal universe includes everything that is unrealistic, especially those huge office building and toilet maps.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            -jay- said a lot of good thoughts
                            but at the same time I feel the rejection of new players (2003-2014) - and it does not seem right to me (but it does not matter)

                            --- STYLIZATION --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            I support what -jay- said about the root theme of the game
                            from UT99 and after - it has always been a game about "Tournament" in "Unreal" Game-Universe
                            I think it's bold stylization theme of UT for maps
                            and if we imagine that audience in UT-Game-Universe want to see a hot and entertaining blood show
                            we can say that can be any location (in sci-fi UT-Game-Universe) - But it must be some kind of exotic (interesting place for blood show)
                            lets try find some examples:
                            - distant Lava planet with small science station will explode in few days? Sure! awesome location for deadly fighting show
                            - new version of gladiator arena with many deadly traps \ on giant space yacht for people vacation
                            with transparent dome (through which you can see space) \ and stands with excited crowds - pfff excellent place for "deadly show"

                            --- GAME MODE's LEGACY ------------------------------------------------------------
                            I personally do not feel right after -jay- words "Unreal Tournament isnt a warfare base game, it isnt a tactical based game, its an Arena shooter"
                            excuse me but even UT99 have assault mode (or "Rush mode") and it was very fun for many players - without even looking on it
                            - all UT games have different game-mode's and it has its fans (refuse from game-modes = abandon fans)
                            - modern game with only deathmatch type modes become boring very very fast (I understand that deathmatch is root mode of UT)
                            - many game-modes easily fit into UT-Game-Universe by story or stylization

                            so I understand that a small group of developers should be focused only on the most important aspects of the game
                            and "deathmatch mode" is most important root aspect
                            but i dont understand why after deathmatch implementation - game cant have all legacy and many more new modern elements..
                            Last edited by ScorpyX; 06-06-2014, 10:18 AM.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I think it's important that the official release doesn't rely too heavily on remakes of maps from older UTs, but comes up with some new concepts adjusted to the new movement and gameplay, which will hopefully someday turn into the new 'classics'.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X