This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] Submitting Content For Unreal Tournament

[NOTE: The submission process was updated in December 2014, and the original post was edited to reflect those changes.]

If you want to submit content to Epic for inclusion in a game or project : Thank you! User participation is awesome.

As the Unreal Tournament project has grown, we've learned that the best way to ensure quality submissions is with a thorough vetting by the community through the forums. And when the UT Marketplace comes online, we'll be doing a strong curation to ensure that all submissions are safe, legal, and functional on the current build of the engine.

So until the marketplace comes online, members of Epic's UT development team will personally request submissions of content that has been previously vetted by the community. As such, all WIP and ideas should be posted in the forums; we'll see you there!

Feedback / Iteration
    Generally, the concepts and content we are using in Unreal Tournament go through an iteration and feedback process involving the community, Chris Perna (the UT Art Director), and our artists and designers on the Unreal Tournament art forums. Start up a thread, post your work, and ask for feedback. Iterate there and once you have something you consider to be final, update the thread and inform the community.

Submitting work in progress files directly to us isn't productive as the person curating the content is simply not going to have time to respond to everyone and give them feedback; community involvement is a vitally important part of our open development process.

Legal (READ ME!)
    When you submit your work, you must include one of the following lines of text in your email or we cannot accept the submission. Just copy and paste and you're good to go:

If you ARE an Unreal Engine 4 subscriber, include this line:
    “I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA ( https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).”

If you are NOT an Unreal Engine 4 subscriber, include this line:
    “I agree that this content constitutes a User Contribution under the Epic Games Terms of Service ( http://epicgames.com/tou )."

When you submit something, be sure to provide the following pieces of information:

a) Your name (meaning, how you'd like to be credited)
    b) Your preferred contact email address (if different from the one you're sending that email from).

And that’s it!

FAQ

I'll keep this section updated as questions pop up and seem worth covering.

Q: Should I submit work in progress content?
    A: Ideally, no. Post WIP work in the forums and iterate with the community on it. Only submit work that you feel is done and ready to go into the game.

Q: What are the specs for user submitted content?
    A: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/User_S...Specifications

Q: How do I submit content to Epic?
    A: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Submitting_User_Content
    Last edited by Entropy; 12-11-2014, 11:12 AM.

This sounds awesome!!!
    Q: If epic accepts any particular submission to go into the game but (maybe after some QA) determine that something needs to be fixed/tweaked will epic do that in house or have the author fix and resubmit?
    Q: I am assuming that this applies to any and all kinds of content from levels to models to textures? Basically content that is not code which can be shared via github? Or is this just for levels since this is the LD subforum?

Edit: Never mind on the second question. I see the same post is over at the Art section. :-)
    Last edited by jayoplus; 06-16-2014, 02:06 PM.
    MyArtstation
    @jayoplus

Comment

jayoplus

Excellent question! To be honest, I hadn't thought that far ahead. My gut feeling is that we'd do small changes/tweaks here and probably go back to the original artist if a larger change was needed. Hopefully by the time something is accepted for use in the game, any larger issues have already been worked out but the reality of level design is that large design changes can happen at any time. This is easier done with levels rather than something like character art, but I think the concept holds.

Comment

Hey Warren,

I read that once UT is released players can submit their own content in an upcomming market in which they can sell their own maps for which Epic will receive a modest fee. Would a similar system be used if user submitted content would be included in UT if we submit it now?

Comment

Originally posted by WarrenM View Post
          jayoplus

Excellent question! To be honest, I hadn't thought that far ahead. My gut feeling is that we'd do small changes/tweaks here and probably go back to the original artist if a larger change was needed. Hopefully by the time something is accepted for use in the game, any larger issues have already been worked out but the reality of level design is that large design changes can happen at any time. This is easier done with levels rather than something like character art, but I think the concept holds.
          Yeah WarrenM, reminds me, I made box and a previous operation created some extra vertices and they weren't fully welded together so edges weren't 100% straight and had unnoticeable open area, the edges were so close I didn't immediately notice it but noticed the increase in vertice count. I imagine you could probably just contact the artist if it was anything that needed majorly changed, and if it did slip through after extensive testing into the final product it would be noticed eventually.

I wonder if you'd have something such as a 3D warehouse like Google had where you could submit and vote on the individual components that makeup the game, it wouldn't need to host the files, just provide option to link to the downloads, give basic option to vote, and basic description. The information could be organized into simple categories related to the content type, even including the Works In Progress. That way it can be more organized and easier for everyone to access and rate.
          Last edited by KnightTechDev; 06-29-2014, 09:32 AM.
          The Development Process:
          We take what we know and build something from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Morkatog View Post
            Hey Warren,

I read that once UT is released players can submit their own content in an upcomming market in which they can sell their own maps for which Epic will receive a modest fee. Would a similar system be used if user submitted content would be included in UT if we submit it now?
            Any content submitted before the game is finished will be included in the game for free. There will be a marketplace eventually for UT, yes, but the base game is totally free.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightTechDev View Post
              Yeah WarrenM, reminds me, I made box and a previous operation created some extra vertices and they weren't fully welded together so edges weren't 100% straight and had unnoticeable open area, the edges were so close I didn't immediately notice it but noticed the increase in vertice count. I imagine you could probably just contact the artist if it was anything that needed majorly changed, and if it did slip through after extensive testing into the final product it would be noticed eventually.

I wonder if you'd have something such as a 3D warehouse like Google had where you could submit and vote on the individual components that makeup the game, it wouldn't need to host the files, just provide option to link to the downloads, give basic option to vote, and basic description. The information could be organized into simple categories related to the content type, even including the Works In Progress. That way it can be more organized and easier for everyone to access and rate.
              Good input, thanks!

Yes, this is something we'll need to figure out as we roll forward. I don't have anything definite to say on this yet but, I agree, it's a concern!

Comment

I have some questions about characters. Is it ok to send you unrigged characters ? I guess that you have some sort of UT global rig, which you use for all the game characters. A custom rig would not be good.

Comment

UT its a very cool Computergame i hope there are many new and old maps
                  My favorite of a new map is the cover version with windows and there where to find the Flak Cannon is to gaze out

Please Take it the game

Comment

I subcripted the UE4 to start to create some maps I later can play against my friends. So, I am completly new with the UE and the whole mapping thing. So I have some questions, but realy don't know if this is the right place for.

1. Is there any specification or best practice how to store own meshes, materials etc.?
                    2. What if I use assets that are already under the content directory? Can I use them without restrictions or is there something I should know about?
                    3. How I extract my used content for submitting, later?

Comment

Seems to be the right place to ask this:

- What do we do when we think our map is ready for testing ? Should we submit it to EPIC according to the procedure in the sticky, or else ?
                      - Is there a quality guide that we should at least follow before any submission ?
                      Last edited by Raste; 09-06-2014, 12:38 PM.
                      RASTE IN PEACE !
                      Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
                      Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Note that there's been an important update to the submission process. I've updated the original post to reflect these changes.

Keep making stuff, folks! Every day I find something new that impresses me!
                        Jim Brown
                        @EntropicDev
                        Epic Games

Comment

Are there any tutorials about on how to cook/publish a level so I can let other people play it? I've looked through the forums and not found a step by step one anywhere. Thanks.
                          UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
                          Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
                          "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...-Epic-s-builds should help.

Comment

How do you submit a map? The OP mentions including lines in an email, but I haven't been able to find the email to submit too. I apologize for the oversight if it is obvious but I have not been able to find how to actually submit a map.

Comment

Working...
                              X