No announcement yet.

Deck... and the great map challenge!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] Deck... and the great map challenge!

I just submitted an updated version of DM Deck that was rebuilt from scratch to be on-grid and to the current game's scale. I made a few adjustments to the pickups as well. Check it out, and let us know how it plays.

This was a great learning project for me, as it was the first level I'd built in UE4 that was done completely in BSP and using the new Surface Tools. Needless to say I found several bugs and opportunities for improvement and passed along copious amounts of feedback to the Engine team.

Even with those limitations, I can't stress enough how useful it would be to have more levels built this way. We always start with BSP shells and test them before moving on to anything more advanced or complicated. You should be doing the same.

I'd encourage as many of you as possible to get out there and build something - learn the tools, learn the quirks and particularities of the game, and tell us how to make the game better based on actual experiences. We can debate weapons, jump heights, and HUD configurations until we're blue in the face, but unless we actually have maps to play on, then, well, its all just fun theory. Even half-formed, incomplete ideas are great, as other people can build off them or be inspired in their own way.

We have an official server up now, and it won't be long before we're playing THIS version of UT there, every day. If you build some maps, I'd love to play them there WITH YOU.

Now is the time, get out there and make some maps!
    Last edited by Entropy; 07-01-2014, 05:56 PM.
    Jim Brown
    @EntropicDev
    Epic Games

i would like to know if anyone official will be remaking their old content before i go taking IP and re-working it.
    - Also 'several bugs' is not great news when your dealing completely with BSP, not great advertisement tbh.

which Deck is this. Deck?, Deck 13?, chong lee's attempt?

your asking for community offer which is great (thanks ), i hope this version of the map you refer to is chonglee's, i haven't tried it but it would be strange to think you ask for input but then don't use it....
    is that what you have done?
    Internet BlackOut in <2 weeks,last chance to request 4 years of Unreal Development(something from every Unreal Engine 50+ maps, chars, weapons, mods, mutators and more).

Comment

Can someone post video of this new deck for people without engine ? Just small favour

Comment

Originally posted by TKBS View Post
        i would like to know if anyone official will be remaking their old content before i go taking IP and re-working it.
        To be clear, I'm suggesting that people start making their OWN maps, not remakes or updates.
        Jim Brown
        @EntropicDev
        Epic Games

Comment

@Entropy: More of a housekeeping request really, but, is there a git ignored folder for maps in progress? (like the /UnrealTournament/Saved/Screenshots folder)
          it would be nice not to taint the repo until our maps are ready for testing.

Also what would be the preferred method for map delivery? push requests into UserContent/Maps? or just file sharing? (I did not see a FAQ/page on this but it is entirely possible I missed it)
          | a.k.a: Barballs | pathnode.com | See ya star side!

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
            To be clear, I'm suggesting that people start making their OWN maps, not remakes or updates.
            I am guessing you want new maps in the new maps and less of the remakes on the official default map list?
            History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
            UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
            UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
            UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Please don't make carbon copies of 15 year old maps. I'm personally really not looking forward to play the same Deck i played already in Unreal(Unreal, the single game, not UT) multiplayer, then later in the first UT, then in UT2003,UT2004,UT3. Same goes for Rankin. After certain amount of time, times played playing the very same maps is just boring. Same situations again and again,it is getting quite repetitive.

Deck always suffered from sniper campers, in TDM it was always about who could defend it for more time, won the map. It is always about one team having a camper, other team trying to kill it then and replacing with his own camper. So it's far from perfect. It can also be improved at other areas.

So please if the dev team is making more remakes keep the original layout, but improve it further if possible or make some changes. It should feel a little bit fresh but also keep things so the original map can be recognized.
              Last edited by Hektoerr; 07-02-2014, 04:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Entropy.
                can someone provide the Height of a Jump Boot Jump? [if its done yet?] in UT3 it was painfully small, not like DOM-Condemned in UT99 or PS2 UT. i want jump boots to be a really big, beneficial jump for out of reach areas.

With a simple cube/ rectangle "FBX" or OBJ & player scale BSP work can be hashed out in UDK and i can rework my ut3 maps
                if someone can provide a Cube/ fbx file to encompass the new player collision bounds this would be appreciated. Notions of movements and game mechanics comments aside for the moment please.
                Internet BlackOut in <2 weeks,last chance to request 4 years of Unreal Development(something from every Unreal Engine 50+ maps, chars, weapons, mods, mutators and more).

Comment

Love the remade Deck, Entropy. The textures are lightyears better than UT3, the visual clarity is amazing. It looks really visually appealing at the same time as being completely devoid of clutter. Reminds me a little of the new Campgrounds Intel edition. With very clearly defined lines and changes in textures. I hope all the developed maps can look as good.

I'll see if I can start working on a map, it's been ages since I've made one.
                  "Gilanguar"

Comment

Originally posted by Gilanguar View Post
                    Love the remade Deck, Entropy. The textures are lightyears better than UT3, the visual clarity is amazing. It looks really visually appealing at the same time as being completely devoid of clutter. Reminds me a little of the new Campgrounds Intel edition. With very clearly defined lines and changes in textures. I hope all the developed maps can look as good.

I'll see if I can start working on a map, it's been ages since I've made one.
                    How can i see the map? Is it uploaded somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by peterk View Post
                      How can i see the map? Is it uploaded somewhere?
                      Check prounreal forums peterk

Comment

We updated Deck because its a franchise staple that is familiar. People know what it feels like to flow through the map, how it should be balanced, what jumps and shortcuts they're used to. This isn't a finished map, or even one that we might ship, it's simply there for reference.

For me, this was an exercise in learning UE4 better, in capturing the scale and feel of the new game. And yes, UE4 is in development. UT is in development. There will be bugs - this is what it means to make a game from scratch. That final product doesn't just appear out of nowhere.

If you guys want to make your own maps, and I really hope that you do, you can put them up for download somewhere, or look at the official guidelines for content submission here. That process will get better over time as well, its still a bit clunky but it does ensure that we can all play together.
                        Last edited by Entropy; 07-02-2014, 08:58 AM.
                        Jim Brown
                        @EntropicDev
                        Epic Games

Comment

Any videos for the people who can't check the map?
                          work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Hello Jim, I have a question (or suggestion), if I may.
                            Would it be more prudent to have the Work-In-Progress section as a subsection under level design? I think if there are WIP sections under the different sections (such as level design, Art, etc) this will make it more streamlined? Right now there are some people posting level WIPs under the work-in-progress and some posting under the level design forum. This may even go further to section it by gametype? Though that part may not be necessary.
                            MyArtstation
                            @jayoplus

Comment

+1 to this please, clarity in structure is never bad.
                              "Gilanguar"

Comment

Working...
                              X