• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

* * * [QUESTION + POLL] - UE4 Fast BSP Editing? * * *

Vote for Geometry Tools 2.0 here!!
    Original poll here...apparently I can't edit this poll :\

(Similar thread discussion here)

Will UE4 have a 'Fast Edit Mode' for BSP? I just want to *CLICK* with left/right mouse buttons to quickly add/remove BSP blocks, like I can in some other engines(like Cube 2...or Minecraft), without having to do the *ADD/SUBTRACT BSP* hotkeys every time(and constantly change brush parameters)... Plus, BSP should automatically optimize itself, like when working with clay instead of hundreds of LEGO pieces.

You can't add lots of layout detail, or do lots of edits, quickly at all with the previous BSP tools, and that is something to be improved upon in my book. I'm sick of the old BSP tools; how about you..?

Example A
    Example B
    Example C
    Yes, traditional Unreal add/subtract BSP tools are tedious and sucky!
    40.00%
    No, the BSP tools are fast enough...I love carpal-tunnel!
    60.00%
    I want something other than 'Fast Edit BSP' or traditional Unreal BSP tools.
    0.00%
    Last edited by CT007; 07-15-2014, 05:16 PM.

This is something that needs to be posted at unrealengine.com - UT4 devs aren't going to get involved with making major editor modifications :/

Comment

This poll seems a bit bias don't you think?
      Joseph Frederick
      FoeJred@Gmail.com
      www.FoeJred.com

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
        This is something that needs to be posted at unrealengine.com - UT4 devs aren't going to get involved with making major editor modifications :/
        Ok, thanks...I'll go post it there too.

Comment

Originally posted by FoeJred View Post
          This poll seems a bit bias don't you think?
          Bias? Exaggerated possibly, sure. I think the BSP tools are basically either a completely outdated, un-intuitive system(vote yes), or people don't realize that they are(vote no) until they've seen a much faster system.

Comment

If you really wanted the community's opinion, why not make a poll that was fair, if you really had a valid point you wouldn't need to make every single answer a pro towards your own view point. Personally Cube 2 and minecraft are nice but they are a bit limiting in what you can achieve. No offense, but Cube 2s editing tools are simple and easy because it is an engine created for kids to learn basic game development tools, I actually taught Cube 2 to 3rd and 4th graders for a year. And I wouldn't even count minecraft. Minecraft is a game, not a Development tool kit.
            Joseph Frederick
            FoeJred@Gmail.com
            www.FoeJred.com

Comment

Originally posted by FoeJred View Post
              If you really wanted the community's opinion, why not make a poll that was fair, if you really had a valid point you wouldn't need to make every single answer a pro towards your own view point. Personally Cube 2 and minecraft are nice but they are a bit limiting in what you can achieve. No offense, but Cube 2s editing tools are simple and easy because it is an engine created for kids to learn basic game development tools, I actually taught Cube 2 to 3rd and 4th graders for a year. And I wouldn't even count minecraft. Minecraft is a game, not a Development tool kit.
              Minecraft/voxel block style editing is fast, though...which is why this system should be part 2 of the BSP tools. Step 1 - traditional BSP blockouts, Step 2 - fast edit/detailing mode. Working with a paintbrush is faster than manually placing blocks LEGO style, but yes, the traditional BSP tools/method has it's place still. Voxels are the future, so no matter how it goes down, BSP will be going down.
              Last edited by CT007; 07-13-2014, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Poll is skewed. I don´t have much problems making maps quickly based on bsp in UE3, but I have to say that a system likethis would be perfect.
                Last edited by Axis_Zaibot; 07-13-2014, 11:15 PM.
                ◄ Competitive Map Pack 2
                ◄ Competitive Map Pack 1
                ◄ Characters Concepts

Comment

Originally posted by Axis_Zaibot View Post
                  Poll is skewed. I don´t have much problems making maps quickly based on bsp in UE3, but I have to say that a system likethis would be perfect.
                  That link, as it says in the description, is the same thing/idea as the example I posted(Cube 2). You simply can't perform quick edits like that with Unreal's BSP tools, and it would be great if Unreal had a BSP mode like this...

One live tool, where you can build the whole level from one viewport, without any tool settings in your way.

==========

EDIT: Well, looks like I found the solution: Geometry tools 2.0! Vote for it here!

(Found in this thread)
                  Last edited by CT007; 07-15-2014, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Well, looks like I found the solution: Geometry tools 2.0! Vote for it here!

(Found in this thread)

Comment

Originally posted by CT007 View Post
                      Vote for Geometry Tools 2.0 here!!
                      Original poll here...apparently I can't edit this poll :\

(Similar thread discussion here)

Will UE4 have a 'Fast Edit Mode' for BSP? I just want to *CLICK* with left/right mouse buttons to quickly add/remove BSP blocks, like I can in some other engines(like Cube 2...or Minecraft), without having to do the *ADD/SUBTRACT BSP* hotkeys every time(and constantly change brush parameters)... Plus, BSP should automatically optimize itself, like when working with clay instead of hundreds of LEGO pieces.

You can't add lots of layout detail, or do lots of edits, quickly at all with the previous BSP tools, and that is something to be improved upon in my book. I'm sick of the old BSP tools; how about you..?

Example A
                      Example B
                      Example C
                      This is the Unreal Tournament game development forum, I got confused too in the beginning as the main branch splits off to either Unreal Engine Forum or Unreal Tournament Forum, it's easy to click the wrong tab when browsing quickly, wish they had that in the Unreal Engine 4 launcher as link like they do the others for convenience when opening the launcher, and wish it didn't require multiple logins, but that's how it is.

The place to submit feature requests for Unreal Engine is at this link here:
                      https://forums.unrealengine.com/foru...dback-for-Epic

One of the guys mentioned they were working on overhauling or redoing the entire BSP System, there's features missing like saving to custom BSP and into folders, so you have to save them manually to text files in folders and copy paste them if you make custom brushes that's how you can make it work when you have matching content. These things do not show up in the editor by default.

If the BSP system changes are true or not who knows, if they had a few more features could prove to be an even more powerful modeler.

Procedural approach can help produce bigger environments more quickly and some people are doing it with Blueprint tweaks.

If not used properly too much can produce bad results where you can see the duplication or iteration, such as an entire level using same wall textures.

Good for outdoor levels I think and buildings.

Like this:

Here's a video how to setup a basic procedural method for the editor using Blueprints, but it's not perfect:

When setup right can be hard to notice the duplication.

CGI VFX Short Spot HD: "The Match: Part 1" - by Psyop:
                      Last edited by KnightTechDev; 07-22-2014, 04:24 PM.
                      The Development Process:
                      We take what we know and build something from that.

Comment

Working...
                      X