No announcement yet.

Static Meshes:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay so I've gotten quite a bit done, there are currently 61 meshes I believe. I've set up a download so you guys can check them out at your leisure. A word of caution they are very much unfinished and require a wide range of tweaks so don't go mapping out a huge space station or something. I included a sample map as well So you can see how some of the pieces fit together. Without further ado here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/celjl5zjjr...ci_Fi.zip?dl=0
    The files included reference some unreal tournament files so you won't be able to use them without a UT project setup.
    You will need to place the TSK_Sci_Fi folder into the content folder of your unreal tournament folder. The .umap file should go in the maps folder of course. Let me know if you have any problems. If you make something cool please show it off in this thread, and of course give credit where it is due.
    Mike :aka: thatscrawnykid
    Artist for Chaos: UT

Comment

Double post but I'm adding lots of pretty pictures so sue me

I've been working on some more meshes, as well as a new material. This material is also compatible with the other meshes I've made. Still needs quite a bit of tweaking this PBR stuff takes getting used to.

Comment

Beautiful work, thanks for sharing. I haven't had a chance to download them yet. What kind of tools are you using? max? Zbrush? nDo/Ddo?
        Joseph Frederick
        FoeJred@Gmail.com
        www.FoeJred.com

Comment

Greetings Joseph! First off thanks for the compliment. Second I'm a former Va. native hows the weather up there?

As far as software I'm currently using Blender and Photoshop. I have ndo installed but I don't like it that much. The process goes something like this:

I made a material map:

This basically is a guide for the high poly modelling which gets baked into a normal map of course. I add details in photoshop, using different methods. Mostly using the Nvidia filter.

I basically cut this up in Blender and peice it back together in various ways to get a final model. The benefit of this method is that every mesh shares one material. Although that in itself is also the major limitation of this process it can be overcome via clever material tricks that UE4 excells at. The following examples are using the same meshes as above with variations in material color, as well as a rust layer that can be painted in dynamically. They are being blended using custom masks, and vertex painting. The main material uses 3 of Epic's material layers, nothing complex that I couldn't create I just wanted to get something in and working right away.

Sorry for the image overload I just wanted to show the variation possible even with a relatively simple set of materials, and all the fancy blending UE4 allows.

Comment

I have to say that you're pretty **** talented at this.

How long have you been at it?

Comment

A long time lol. I've been working with unreal engine since the first UT.

Comment

Really digging these .. carry on wayward son.
                UOF Admin / Map pack(s) instigator, coordinator, contributor.

Comment

Thanks for the breakdown! Always interested to see others workflows. I haven't had a real chance to play around with UE4 yet, but I hope I can get a computer that can handle it soon and start making maps.

We've had a pretty mild summer here in VA, an average of about 75-85 degrees. No complaints except for the muggy humidity.
                  Joseph Frederick
                  FoeJred@Gmail.com
                  www.FoeJred.com

Comment

Very impressive!
                    I always wanted to work with the new Unreal Editor, but I fear by the time i manage to use the editor UT will be already released^^

Comment

@1x: I will indeed carry on sir!

@FoeJred: No problem! I'm pretty envious of that weather I'm living in Florida its hot as all get out. I'm running things just fine with an AMD8350, 16gigs of ram and an older gtx560ti graphics card.

@Mannorok: Its actually not hard to get up to speed with unreal. I don't know how much you know but the video tutorials epic has are pretty extensive and there is a ton of tutorials available. Way more than when I first started thats for sure. If its something you want to do then do it.

Comment

Nice work so far thatscrawnyki.
                        I would recommend that you tone down (way down) the rust/grime on the meshes. I suppose it will depend on the kind of look you're going for and to some extent personal taste, but I think it's too much at the moment. I don't think it should be that visible from the distance you took the screenshots above and if anything, they should only be slightly visible when up close. I know you said these are being blended and I suppose they will be at the control of the end user, but I think the base material should reflect a certain look?
                        Also, I didn't download the file yet, so I don't see the tri-count, but maybe increase the tri-count a bit on some of the cylindrical meshes for the highest LOD to remove some "jaggedness"

Keep it up.
                        MyArtstation
                        @jayoplus

Comment

@jayoplus: LOL, yeah I went overboard with the rust. Its vertex painted and I've added a mask that blends it at different "levels" so its not spread out all over either.
                          Some of the meshes need more verts for the effect to work better as well. They are all pretty low poly at the moment, one subdivide would solve the vertex paint issue as well as whatever faceting is left.
                          I was kind of waiting on some more content from epic before I went and did all that. Your portfolio is phenomenal by the way. Here Is the latest version of the meshes if you want to poke around with them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryfgoh7sbw...Fi_V2.zip?dl=0

Comment

Eyy these look great! Thanks!
                            BT-AncientLost | BT-Indus12 | BT-AirRace | BT-YouAreLOL
                            DM-Pure-Pro | DM-Vezon | DM-RedeemerSniperHeaven

blog | home | discord
                            ‚Äč
                            Come frag with us! Absolute (Amsterdam) , Absolute (Atlanta) , Absolute (Indiana)

Comment

Thank you did you get a chance to try them out?

Comment

Working...
                              X