Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After 20 years of Carefully Following Unreal & UT Development..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After 20 years of Carefully Following Unreal & UT Development..

Please don't think I'm being a 'know-it-all' - this comes purely from a deep love of this community and UT Level Design. It's a comment I have made on game-play videos on YouTube but I finally decided it really is something that needs to be addressed. So here goes:

Players, Designers, [both] always complaining about graphics, please understand that lighting needs to be focused on more these days - the engine is nearly there - but the tweaking of lighting - ie.,sun/light source, skylight [especially --> indirect lighting <--, fog - As well as how lighting works with ALL meshes. That would be my biggest call to detail - Work on lighting - how it INTERACTS WITH ENVIRONMENTAL, as well as deco, MESHES is ABSOLUTELY KEY. [After carefully following UNREAL & UT Level Design/Environments since '97/'98 I'm not talking out of my *** - that is the main direction needed imo, and the thing most sorely lacking, even in so-called 'expertly' made maps]
    So, Onward and upward..
    Let's make UT[4] the best it can be. 
    Last edited by Shade64; 04-17-2017, 02:54 AM.
    "Memories..You're talking about memories.."

Agreed. From what I've seen the new global illumination system makes it too easy to flush out all detail in lighting when a single light source (e.g the sun) is allowed to fill all the littles nooks and crannies in a level. This leads to bland lighting where contrast does not have a proper role. Without the contrast you also cannot set proper coloration to lighting which is a great way to add mood and theme into maps.

I would love to see more of what David M. did in the days of UT99, his lighting work was awesome and I've always strived to follow his tips and tricks he shared back then. Not a silver bullet to all situations but the general understanding of what works and what doesn't helps.

EDIT:

Wow, I actually found the DavidM lighting tutorial for UT99: http://wayback.archive.org/web/20051.../lighting.html
    Last edited by ojrask; 04-17-2017, 07:08 AM.
    Also known as musilowski.
    UE user since 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by ojrask View Post
      Agreed. From what I've seen the new global illumination system makes it too easy to flush out all detail in lighting when a single light source (e.g the sun) is allowed to fill all the littles nooks and crannies in a level. This leads to bland lighting where contrast does not have a proper role. Without the contrast you also cannot set proper coloration to lighting which is a great way to add mood and theme into maps..Not a silver bullet to all situations but the general understanding of what works and what doesn't helps.
      EDIT:
      Wow, I actually found the DavidM lighting tutorial for UT99: http://wayback.archive.org/web/20051.../lighting.html
      Exactly! Nail on the head.. Some of the lighting by mappers back in the days of Unreal SP, Botmatch & UT99 really did some fantastic quality lighting - Sure there was way too much use of 'coloured lighting' as it was one of those generally awesome new things level designers were astounded at after only having Quake to edit..which makes me smile now lol as I was guilty of making my old maps too dark in the process of tweaking out that dastardly saturation.

Thoroughly in agreement with you on DavidM. So many I won't bore with a list - That's a reason why I didn't post lots of links, examples etc in my post. I'd rather not get onto praising one and deflating another. There's way too much of that in our community as it is and never enough sincere, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism - though it's getting a bit better..[I often wonder why no one ever likes a post on these forums..that speaks volumes to me anyway..maybe at 52 I'm just over even passive aggression ;]

Been really looking at all the work both EPIC-side and Community-side, immersing myself in the game like I haven't since maybe UNREAL&UT[99], and after seeing all these great maps being designed, new artwork, blueprints, animations - so much potential[!] - and yet imo being completely sunk by over bright 'indirect lighting from the skylight' as I mentioned earlier. I love 'that thing' but you can get so much more atmosphere out of having it being set as low as possible with surrounding lights contributing to make more interesting, rather than, bland shadows, or even the opposite end [my old nemesis]: darkness - which oddly I don't see a lot of now thankfully..

Makes me think that this focus on lighting and lighting meshes, really is an area that should get explained more - but the information is there - So, I guess it's up to the level designers to return to this aspect and really learn as much about the subtle [and not so subtle] interactions of G.I. and even basic lighting as well.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. [I'm working on a Level Design atm and will get brave enough to post it in the WIPs section when it's all shelled out in a month or so.] It'd be good to hear other tips and thoughts on how lighting in general can be made [as close to] the best that it can be in UT[4] & UE4.
      Last edited by Shade64; 04-18-2017, 05:10 AM.
      "Memories..You're talking about memories.."

Comment

Working...
      X