Blitz Level Design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] Blitz Level Design

Sid gives us a comprehensive look at designing a level for Unreal Tournament's latest gametype, Blitz. Please post here if you have any questions or comments!

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...z-level-design
    Click image for larger version  Name:	fortlohmelt.jpg Views:	1 Size:	623.6 KB ID:	385402

Last edited by [EPIC] Lynx-S; 04-26-2017, 08:26 PM. Reason: fixed the link
    Stacey Conley
    -----------------------------
    Unreal Tournament Community Manager
    Epic Games, Inc.
    Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

What's with the 403 gm admin link?
    Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Fix'd!
      (10 char)
      "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
      - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Sorry about that, here's the short link for sharing http://epic.gm/p5i
        Stacey Conley
        -----------------------------
        Unreal Tournament Community Manager
        Epic Games, Inc.
        Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Edit:

To whomever fixed me. Thankyou. So many forums..... Click image for larger version  Name:	tumblr_m41jrgBcwv1rs64k3o4_250.gif Views:	1 Size:	59.2 KB ID:	385683

Also I removed off-topic content removed to be posted in a more appropriate forum category.

On the subject of level design, the game mode itself is kinda slow to me, where defense camps and offense is active. I would probably add teleports all over my maps that were only accessible to the defense that dumped them back at base. Thereby making defense more mobile, though at a cost, albeit a mitigated one as adverse to leaving the base unprotected currently. That or a big button could be shot or pressed that sounded an alarm and sucked everybody back to base to rally. Though given I don't enjoy the game mode, it seems unlikely I would know what might make a fun map for those that do.
          Last edited by [GZU]Elmur_fud; 04-28-2017, 08:19 PM.

Comment

This was incredibly useful as someone just picking up the UT4 editor, having not touched level design since UT99. I want to eventually work on a flag-run map, but I want to be more comfortable with the toolset first. I think that the basic Blitz gameplay could lend itself to some pretty cool experiences once the community starts experimenting with it. PS Meltdown is excellent - can't wait to see it fully meshed.

Comment

Lol....just back ...i firstly though that everyone had his name pasted to the new gametype ...time for my pills
              nice add to the game & hello Flak
              http://unrealoldfriends.activeboard.com

Comment

After a very long hiatus from UT I downloaded the latest version earlier today and saw this new gametype whilst wandering through the menus!
                Thought I'd give it a try...3 or 4 matches later...very very cool!
                I think it's a highly fun and nice change from CTF. Eager to play again later tonight, so well done Devs!!

You Devs are feeding that mapping bug that's biting at my shoulder right now...well played...well played!

EDIT: Oops, the gametype I was thinking of is Siege! Any resources for creating maps for it?
                EDIT2: Just tried Blitz with my two sons...awesome fun! Loving both these twists on the classic CTF!
                Last edited by Lord_Porksword; 05-28-2017, 01:47 AM.
                Unreal Old Friends
                My previous Unreal work

Comment

This mode is good. But LoH and Fort look nearly the same. One of them needs a different color palette to be distinguishible.
                  Check the Hybrid Rocket L. Here:https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...ed​​​​

Comment

Cant find any better place to post but there are many places in fr-fort where I noticed you can hide and sometimes be protected inside the rocks of the map.

Comment

Originally posted by ℑⓡ. View Post
                      Cant find any better place to post but there are many places in fr-fort where I noticed you can hide and sometimes be protected inside the rocks of the map.
                      Hi JR, what do you mean "inside " the rocks? Can you actually get inside the rock mesh?

Comment

Blitz I thought it was about you as well. :P

Comment

I played my first few blitz games some days ago and became a huge fan of this game mode. Some changes and adjustments to game mechanics would be great. First of all, this circle on flat surface, where you have to bring your flag as an attacker must be placed on a podest or higher ground or it has to be surrounded by four pillars or two ramps must lead to the podest with this goal. The greatest moment of the game often became the point of frustration or rage, if defenders rockets have missed their target . Imagine if in every kind of sport a goal would be a medium sized circle on the ground, what would happen. This game mode has a great potential, because it removes frustrating moments from classic ctf, where the lost flag always returns to the base. The architekture and level design are very specific. Areas are pretty large and very often you fire at your opponents from the distance and its a harsh contrast to small and narrowed deathmatch or ctf maps. Some areas could be changed in favour of close ranged combat. I know this game mode is in very early stage, it has a huge potential and some parts of the maps do not even have final textures or lighting. I favorized fort over another 2 maps. On the Loh map the great hall with a few pillars looks very empty, some additional architecture must be placed there. At least this game mode can use some of funny things like activaible defence turrets, landmines or more freaky stuff.

Comment

Mogno yeah you can actually get inside the rocks at several places. Below the 100 shield bridge and near the far right rally points are the two best examples, but also close to where the fort door opens there is a smallhole to hide in as well. Its very annoying to see shock or rockets coming out of a rock when you cant even shoot back!
                            Last edited by ℑⓡ.; 02-20-2018, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X