Geometry errors, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geometry errors, need help

Dear community! Some months ago I started to work on two maps for ut 4. One of them is based on Deck-16 testmap and looks like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R92icFCkJsI&t=287s
    After I have updated unreal engine up to 4.16.2 and last patch on the editor a strange geometry error happens every time, after I try to build all or even buld only geometry. One large area of my map becomes impassable and all entrances to this area are blocked by grey textures. Its likes the editor does invert subtractive geometry to additive geometry. I just don,t know what to do and I have spent so much work on this level, I will not give it up due to editor bugs -.-

You must select the offenders and logically order them to last, and use the grid next time.
    UT2004 Movement Mutator

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17 beta.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	545.2 KB
ID:	390917Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00010.png
Views:	5
Size:	978.7 KB
ID:	390918Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00009.png
Size:	980.5 KB
ID:	390919
      This is my first map after a long break for about 12 years. Last engine I have worked with was the source engine. My whole experience with map design lays ahead and my knowledge is outdated but the basics from quake 2 engine, unreal 2 engine and so on made it possible to start building levels with unreal engine 4. I worked a lot with static meshes and geometry but I found out that liandri static meshes variaty was very limited. So I had thouse glorious idea, to copy static meshes form Epics Infiltrator demo using migrate content method into unreal tournament editor. Im not experienced with import of data or meshes to the editor. I also have no kly about programming or 3d modeling. I,m just a noob who returnes after a long break to my fogotten passion: developing concepts of strange maps and realisation of my ideas. My main activity is to paint surreal pantings with oil colours so the switch to unreal 4 engine is a harsh contrast to very traditional activity. English is my third language, german my second, and russian my mother language, so there is no wonder, if you will encounter a tremendous amount of grammar mistakes in my posts
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by UnrealEngineNoob View Post
        1: This is my first map after a long break for about 12 years.

2: Last engine I have worked with was the source engine.

3: My whole experience with map design lays ahead and my knowledge is outdated but the basics from quake 2 engine, unreal 2 engine and so on made it possible to start building levels with unreal engine 4.

4: I worked a lot with static meshes and geometry but I found out that liandri static meshes variety was very limited. So I had those glorious idea, to copy static meshes form Epics Infiltrator demo using migrate content method into unreal tournament editor. I'm not experienced with import of data or meshes to the editor. I also have no idea about programming or 3d modelling. I'm just a noob who returns after a long break to my forgotten passion: developing concepts of strange maps and realisation of my ideas.

5:My main activity is to paint surreal paintings with oil colours so the switch to unreal 4 engine is a harsh contrast to very traditional activity.

6: English is my third language, German my second, and Russian my mother language, so there is no wonder, if you will encounter a tremendous amount of grammar mistakes in my posts
        1: It's like riding an old horse with a new saddle. You must wear it in, until saddle and horse become one beneath you.

2: You have my condolences It is a truly dreadful engine, but does have a robust level design tool...mostly.

3: Yeah, you need to use the editor for Unreal Tournament and only Unreal Tournament. If you do that, you will avoid issues with cross-engine portability and compiled code...and a lot of other problems. There are also licensing concerns between the UE4 and UTE4 variants, where plugins are not valid as Epic Games did not pay for the licence to extend to UTE4.

4: You can do that. I would recommend you "Export" to the content folder for the content, and then run the "Migrate" command. That seems to solve/fix some of the problems, but not all. Some will not export due to (3) and licensing/plugin deviations.

5: That sounds awesome One thing you could do is export from Photoshop the LUT file and insert this into the post-processing volume for the level, as this would give you a chance to set mood and tone, especially if you have multiple post processing volumes. If you take a snapshot from UTE4, import it into Photopshop, run colour corrections, and export that LUT - you can import this into UTE4, and insert it in "Scene Color" => "Color Grading"

6:
        Cool. Kool. ꓘool. I corrected all of the grammatical mistakes for you

Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17wires.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	623.7 KB
ID:	390947Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00011.png
Size:	807.4 KB
ID:	390948Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00012.png
Size:	871.4 KB
ID:	390949Click image for larger version

ID:	390950Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17sniper.jpg
Size:	567.2 KB
ID:	390951Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17jumpboots.jpg
Size:	625.6 KB
ID:	390943Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17pipes.jpg
Size:	611.5 KB
ID:	390944Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17walkway.jpg
Size:	613.9 KB
ID:	390945Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17wires.jpg
Size:	623.7 KB
ID:	390946Click image for larger version

ID:	390922 sssClick image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00012.png
Size:	871.4 KB
ID:	390923Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17bio.jpg
Size:	551.7 KB
ID:	390924Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17sniper.jpg
Size:	567.2 KB
ID:	390938Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17detailoverload.jpg
Size:	628.4 KB
ID:	390925Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17bio.jpg
Size:	551.7 KB
ID:	390939Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17bestparts1.jpg
Size:	617.8 KB
ID:	390926Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17biohazard.jpg
Size:	719.7 KB
ID:	390927Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17asmd.jpg
Size:	578.5 KB
ID:	390928Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17flacarea.jpg
Size:	577.9 KB
ID:	390929Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17damage.jpg
Size:	722.6 KB
ID:	390930Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17infiltratortech.jpg
Size:	572.6 KB
ID:	390931Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17flacarea123.jpg
Size:	634.1 KB
ID:	390932Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17mostdetailedview.jpg
Size:	580.5 KB
ID:	390933Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17jumpboots.jpg
Size:	625.6 KB
ID:	390934Click image for larger version

ID:	390935Click image for larger version

Views:	6
ID:	390940Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17flacarea123.jpg
Size:	634.1 KB
ID:	390941Click image for larger version

Name:	deck17mostdetailedview.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	580.5 KB
ID:	390942
          Noob have done some work here ^^
          Attached Files

Comment

It will might sound strange, but I work on my levels in the same way like I would paint a very complicated oil painting
            . First step is conseption and the main idea
            . Sekond step is different: instead of first layers of oil colour and sketches base geometry of a level and testing do come into play
            . The third step includes adding more advanced geometry and texturing most areas with some basic textures and first static meshes does appear
            . Than placement of point lights and adjustment of lighte sources follows.
            Now my most favored part comes: a big guy plays 3d lego for adults XD -this means. bulding static meshes by combining already existing static meshes.
            For example I rotate, scale or manipulate static meshes like pipes, drill bottoms or all kind of liandry tech to create new more interesting and sophisticated objects.
            Rule n1 is: I can never have enough static meshes of any kind, so I would be very delighted to see some more static meshes addet to ut editor during coming patches.
            Most important are industrial, high tech and futuristic meshes and fantasy medival stuff like statues, chains, castle interior or maybe even quake champions inspired bizzare surrealistic stuff like bleeding statues, cruel constructions and so on.
            Final step includes the addition of some effects like particles, beams, steam, god rays, reflections, but I,m not experienced enough to use such things properly. The only thing i could do is to study ready levels, made by professionals and try to find out, how level designers have achived some effects.
            The final step is very simmilar to my paint technique: so called detail enrichment! This means the addition of more and more finer details to all parts of the level and even static meshes are not safe from my insane obsession with details!
            The greatest danger of overloading a level with hundrets or more decoration objects are perfomance issues followed by imbalance of the gameplay, created by to much objects in this level: for example sniper can hide behind pipes and creates and becomes very hard to kill.

Comment

Working...
            X