Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I need to pay $20 every month to contribute anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I need to pay $20 every month to contribute anything?

Or can I just pay $20 once? Would I need the latest version all the time to make maps? I considering signing up for the GitHub Developer Pack, but our high school doesn't give out any student IDs. Thanks!

Originally posted by DeniedGames View Post
    Or can I just pay $20 once? Would I need the latest version all the time to make maps? I considering signing up for the GitHub Developer Pack, but our high school doesn't give out any student IDs. Thanks!
    Just pay the $20, and cancel after a month if you have to. You can still use the editor but you can't update.
    Updating is an unsupported pain anyway. Nobody's making any assets to get excited about.

The engine gets updated every few months. Renew then =)
    Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

Originally posted by ~SPECTRE~ View Post
      Just pay the $20, and cancel after a month if you have to. You can still use the editor but you can't update.
      Updating is an unsupported pain anyway. Nobody's making any assets to get excited about.

The engine gets updated every few months. Renew then =)
      Is this allowed? What are the benefits of staying a recurring subscriber?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
        Is this allowed? What are the benefits of staying a recurring subscriber?

Thanks.
        Not just allowed. As far as I know, they even encouraged it...

• Do I have to worry about a billing contract or penalties for cancelling my subscription?

Your subscription payment automatically recurs, but you’re free to cancel at any time. There’s no penalty for cancellation.

When you cancel your subscription, you won’t receive access to future releases of Unreal Engine 4, however your login will remain active, and you are free to continue using the versions of Unreal Engine 4 which you obtained as a subscriber under the terms of the EULA. You may still release your game.

This sounds to me like an encouragement

Comment

But won't I lose access to UT source code? Would I even need it?

Comment

Originally posted by DeniedGames View Post
            But won't I lose access to UT source code? Would I even need it?

No subscription = no updates. But everything still works.

If you subscribed today you would get everything that everybody else has, for 30 days.

After 30 days, if you cancelled, you won't get any "new" assets. But there haven't been any assets lately, anyway.
            Except a crate and some chevrons.

Spend the $20 for a month and see.

Comment

I have run into two issues right now on this front. The first issue is that keeping up to date on the tools is a super hit or miss situation where there are probably 4 to 6 steps to the process that are a total guessing game for someone who is not in the loop. I mean this situation makes the feeling of being an external contractor feel like a warm reception. At least when you are actually on the team you have access to someone who can help you get things working. In this case its like good luck!

"Maybe you can do stuff after the update maybe you cant, we actually take steps to make things needlessly confusing!"

What I wouldn't give right now for the front end to just give me the latest build of the editor as it already does for the game!

See this window? Can someone explain the magical liopleurodon as to why there isn't also a Launch editor button on this screen that works exactly like the launch game button? I understand that maybe UT4 tech is a snowflake that shouldn't have to utilize the same front end as UE4 but doing this simple thing would make life 1000 times easier for me and I imagine countless other people. I can make an entire video of all of the weird obscure stuff that goes on with getting a build that wont compile code, wont work with a certain engine version, magic hidden elves like launch server which has an editor button that wont work with an error that says. "Make sure the file name is correct." WHAT FILE NAME?

Anyway so as far as keeping up to date on stuff I would say if you have something that works right now embrace that ****.

So the second problem I have now encountered is that my not up to date version of the tools creates blueprints that apparently crash the current version of the game. This probably means that if I want to work on a mod at all right now I need to keep up to date on the latest stuff as it comes out. Its like Santa clause doesn't want me working on stuff for the game right now.
              - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
              YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
              Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
              Twitter: @zZCastleZz

Comment

Castle get back on IRC and raxxy or I will walk you through it. We have been talking about making a wiki page. I guess we just need to do it.
                HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

And clean up that Desktop. XD

Comment

Originally posted by ~SPECTRE~ View Post
                    And clean up that Desktop. XD
                    No! its all of my stuffsss!!
                    - Russell Meakim AKA The Castle
                    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjE...JOGtfv1RK2DpNg
                    Steemit: https://steemit.com/@thecastle
                    Twitter: @zZCastleZz

Comment

Working...
                    X