Weekly Mappers match?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly Mappers match?

With the free editor the amount of available maps are really starting to explode. The forum is fine for feedback regarding pictures and videos and even some solo play testing, but its hard to really test and prove a map without a full on game. So I was thinking, would any of the other mappers here be interested in doing a weekly mappers only play test night? The idea being, this is a closed mappers only testing server. Only players with a map in active rotation for that night are allowed on the server and we will run through a bunch of our custom maps and give each other pointers, reviews, suggestions, feedback as well as play the maps. I think if we can get 10 mappers, with 10 different maps and a 10 minute time limit we can really get some good feedback going. We can also include pro/skilled players who arent mappers as long as they are able to provide valuable feedback and actively participate in the review process.

Outline:
    -10 Mappers each with a play test ready map
    -Private server with password enabled
    -Each map is played for 10 minutes
    -Teamspeak/Ventrillo required
    -Weekly, Biweekly or monthly
    -To make sure feedback is relevant and remembered we will need to come up with some good system for people to review the maps. Maybe just a simple form that each player can fill out and then send back to the map maker once the match is over.
    -Map creator picks mutators/settings. If you want to TDM instead of DM. You want instagib or movement prototyper, lowgravity, or anything else. We are here to test the map you created in the environment you created it for.

I am thinking we can do this Sunday night at like 8PM eastern? But I am open to any nights really. I have a home server that I can run, but the latency wont be good for people outside of the US so if someone else has a server we can use, that would be awesome. If you have a suggestions for alternate day/time post that as well.

Mappers interested in a weekly mappers match:
    1. PayBack
    2. lawlorz
    3. JDantz
    4. ChA1NsAw
    5. Elipter
    6. -Designer-
    7. Jay22
    8. irridium77

Play Tester in a weekly mappers match.
    1. FK_nero
    Last edited by PayBack; 03-15-2015, 09:24 AM.
    PayBack

Ultimately im interested. but have a few issues.

1. map makers obtaining feedback from other map makers is all dandy, but what is really needed is feedback from the userbase, the non map makers. Even Epic said it themselves in their latest video, the artists all wanted to go full out artsy on the maps, to the detriment of gameplay, and had to be advised otherwise on certain aspects. Whilsts a map makers play test will no doubt provide a wealth of feedback, it wont necessarily be from the right sources, such as the pro players and also the general players.
    2. 10 mins wont be enough for some maps. a solid feedback session person to person would require significantly more time than this. I do agree that 10 minutes is better than nothing though.
    3. voice chat required? I have access to no method of voice communication, and im sure im not alone.
    4. US specific time. I don't know the spread of map makers around the world, but im sure theres a significant portion of them from Europe at the very least, im from Australia myself. I would not be able to participate.

I like your idea, and I encourage you to work on it.

Comment

I think it'd be wise to have a selection of "featured maps" each week, maybe 4 or 5, and then open the server up to anyone in the community who agrees to be there ahead of time. Allow for spectators, too.

Also I'm down.

Comment

The idea of keeping it closed is because sometimes mappers dont want a public release of a map. As soon as you offer a map to the public, that map starts showing up on other servers weather you want it to or not. Also the idea is not so much to test the maps for game play, but for just overall map design/features. A mapper is much more likely to notice a miss aligned texture or know of a better way to accomplish an element of the map. Epic artists are miles ahead of the vast majority of mappers here, while Epic artists might have had a problem with putting art before gameplay, most map makers here need game play as the art just isnt there. I think 90% of the useful feedback would come from other mappers while only 10% would come from players. Other mappers are much more likely to stick around for all the maps and provide valuable feedback as they will want the same information and effort put into their map review, other random pub players will not be as constructive. If we are unable to fill a 10 man server, we can invite other players who are known community members. Also voicechat is a requirement as the ingame chat is horrible right now, it would not be easy to give live feedback to mappers when the text is only on screen for a second or less. As far as time, as i said, I am open, suggest something.
        Last edited by PayBack; 03-13-2015, 10:10 AM.
        PayBack

Comment

Count me in.

Comment

agreed jay, you can count me in as well of course

Comment

Iam in! ;]
              https://www.twitch.tv/designerued - stream - maps, models, environment.
              https://mymeshes.wordpress.com/ - blog - 3d modeling, tutorials, lifestyle

Comment

I can run the servers for this if I get some forewarning (on irc only) of whats being tested for redirect reasons, if no redirect is required I can just drop maps onto the servers whenever you guys ask.

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
                  I can run the servers for this if I get some forewarning (on irc only) of whats being tested for redirect reasons, if no redirect is required I can just drop maps onto the servers whenever you guys ask.
                  Awesome! I think doing redirects would be best just to ensure everyone gets the same and correct version of the maps as well as controlling distribution. What exact information would you like me to provide and how long prior to the event do you need the information? Can we just provide you with the redirect links given when you cook/public a map in editor?
                  PayBack

Comment

I'm interested.

Comment

count me in for play testing

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
                        That sounds great.

What we could really use is an "always on" type server for introducing and showcasing new UT4 maps and custom maps. One of UT99's most popular CTF servers was a place called Unreal Playground and many brand new maps premiered at the server, which was normally packed full to 20 players 24/7 back in the day. The server and website served as the premier community for UT99 mappers and they even had map contests, such as "build a map that's less than 300k", Dr. Seuss themed maps contest, etc.

http://www.UnrealPlayground.com

(They still have a collection of a couple thousand UT99 maps available for download.)
                        UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

okay i'm in.
                          BT-AncientLost | BT-Indus12 | BT-AirRace | BT-YouAreLOL
                          DM-Pure-Pro | DM-Vezon | DM-RedeemerSniperHeaven

blog | home | discord
                          ‚Äč
                          Come frag with us! Absolute (Amsterdam) , Absolute (Atlanta) , Absolute (Indiana)

Comment

Sounds like we are going to have enough people then. How does Sunday USA timezone work for everyone?
                            PayBack

Comment

what time is that

Comment

Working...
                              X