Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New subforum for beginner mapdesign, funmaps, arenamaps, etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New subforum for beginner mapdesign, funmaps, arenamaps, etc.

Sub-forum for substandard maps.
    14.29%
    Sub-forum for proper characterized UT maps.
    28.57%
    Leave it like it is.
    57.14%

The poll is expired.

The Level Design forum is becoming clouded by all kinds of maps. This means there are a lot of new folks interested in helping out the future of UT. Which is awesome!
    However, the arrival of new faces also bring along novice level designers, who generally make the same rookie mistakes. (Not feeling superior, everyone goes trough it. I still am.)

The thought of creating a sub-forum where all the substandard maps are placed, strikes me as convenient. This is done by either a moderator or the mapper himself.
    On top of that sub-thread there should be a sticky with links and information about the basics of level design and further information. Things all level designer should know about.

This prevents the need to repeat the same feedback. It would also drive passionate mappers to improve their skills, not to be in that thread.

Or the other way around. Placing all proper characterized UT maps in a separate forum.

Yay or nay?
    Last edited by ChA1NsAw; 03-30-2015, 05:00 PM. Reason: grammar

• replied
    Spent 6.5 hours on this. I can now say I've seen all maps currently built for UT4.
    Complete maplist: https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...2-UT4-Map-list

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Clawfist View Post
    Putting maps in subs based on somebody's perceived quality seems like a bad idea.
    Definitely. One of the shocking revelations I came away with from UT99 is that the best-designed and best-looking maps do not necessarily always win. For example, CTF-andAction probably proved to be more popular than 90% of all maps that were ever released, as crazy as that sounds. Same for CTF-AGB-Made-in-5-minutes (it's still played every weekend by some UT99 old timers at the Frag Friday and Smackdown Saturday events.)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, things have been a little confused since WIP was moved into LD. If you guys want/need another mod to help tidy up it up, move stuff around etc I'd be happy to help

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm in favor of more tags, that sounds like a good idea

Putting maps in subs based on somebody's perceived quality seems like a bad idea. Hard to quantify and no need to do that. If anything further down the line we'll most likely have a way to highlight standout maps, but not the other way around.

We haven't had solid guide lines on this so far afaik but in reality the main LD forum should contain general LD related posts while the WIP sub should be used for just that, wip levels. We might want to add another sub for released levels down the line and it does seem like a good idea to have a sub for learning resources tips & tricks etc.

If you guys have suggestions for more tags, post them here!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I understand the need but it's not something that is easy to classify.

At least, it would be cool if remade maps could use the "Remake" tag. It would be easier to find / discern them in the all.

Another tag like LP (LowPoly) would be nice since many, many maps are made with mostly BSP instead of a huge amount of meshes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ChA1NsAw View Post
    Making a square room and placing boxes in them doesn't make a map.
    Looking back at ctf-face and floating pyramid - ha-ha
    Or 3 vertical boxes aka skyscrapers to jump between them

Leave a comment:

• replied
    They are fun because the game is fun. Not the map. Making a square room and placing boxes in them doesn't make a map.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I dont understand what the problem is. Even if u are a beginner in map design it doesnt mean that nobody is interested in these maps. They are maybe not that professional but it says nothing about the fun in the game itself. Actuallly i would suggest to take a look even at the beginner maps, becasue they bring new creative input and can u force to think outside of ur "pro-workflow-map-creation-box". Maybe u could take over ideas and work together on a professional map.

So leave it as it is pls.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by code187 View Post
    Interpretation
    Some of us have been posting maps for months and loved feeling special. Now editor is free and maps are flooding in and our post gets pushed down the page.
    At this point in time, we may have more mappers and maps now than actual players.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by code187 View Post
    Interpretation
    Some of us have been posting maps for months and loved feeling special. Now editor is free and maps are flooding in and our post gets pushed down the page.
    Yeah maps are flooding... and topic like this one too

I think we should'nt separate maps but Release forum from everything else (LD related questions, advice, tuto, ressources) and merge the "WIP" forum, anyway since the game is in "pre-alpha" stage no custom content can pretend to be final.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Interpretation

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Charon85 View Post
    but what about some - public gallery / social media channel / thread in here - being nothing more than a screenshot feed with links to maps' threads? No comments allowed, simply an image feed with links to proper threads. It's kind of cheap solution, I know, but should be as easy as it may be. Something similar to quakemaps.tumblr.com. There is ut.rushbase.net set up nicely - some kind of gallery might be generated even there, arranging pictures from uploaders' directories directly into one gallery.
    Good idea. I like a clear overview of maps. Now I have to search too much to find stuff. Going to look into it when I get home.

And tbh, being offended is a first world problem.
    http://www.mapcore.org/page/features...t-feedback-r23

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great maps, maps that are constantly updated will be eventually floating at the top, and "substandard" incomplete maps will sink.
    It is already works that way.
    Separating maps into "good" and "bad" categories - is a huge piece of **** right into the fan

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Breaking it down into "pro maps" and "substandard maps" might offend some mappers and result in unneeded animosity and controversy as to what is and is not a substandard map.

I'm all in favor of a separate forum for discussing the mechanics of level design and then separate forums for map announcements/discussions. A simple way to divide up the map forums would be based on game type: DM, CTF, Other (for now).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X