Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New subforum for beginner mapdesign, funmaps, arenamaps, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New subforum for beginner mapdesign, funmaps, arenamaps, etc.

The Level Design forum is becoming clouded by all kinds of maps. This means there are a lot of new folks interested in helping out the future of UT. Which is awesome!
    However, the arrival of new faces also bring along novice level designers, who generally make the same rookie mistakes. (Not feeling superior, everyone goes trough it. I still am.)

The thought of creating a sub-forum where all the substandard maps are placed, strikes me as convenient. This is done by either a moderator or the mapper himself.
    On top of that sub-thread there should be a sticky with links and information about the basics of level design and further information. Things all level designer should know about.

This prevents the need to repeat the same feedback. It would also drive passionate mappers to improve their skills, not to be in that thread.

Or the other way around. Placing all proper characterized UT maps in a separate forum.

Yay or nay?
    Sub-forum for substandard maps.
    14.29%
    Sub-forum for proper characterized UT maps.
    28.57%
    Leave it like it is.
    57.14%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by ChA1NsAw; 03-30-2015, 05:00 PM. Reason: grammar

I don't see a busy forum as a bad thing, leave it as it is.

Also how are you going to judge "substandard"
    Last edited by NATO_chrisjm; 03-30-2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I do think the level design needs some sort of subforum.

My thoughts are have a sub forum for Remakes. There are a ton of remakes, whether from old UT's or old maps from the community people are remaking etc..

Comment

I would like to see the maps in one place and the level design topics in another, though.
        Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

Originally posted by 89Supra View Post
          I do think the level design needs some sort of subforum.

My thoughts are have a sub forum for Remakes. There are a ton of remakes, whether from old UT's or old maps from the community people are remaking etc..

Having a REMAKE tag would fix things, in my opinion. =)
          Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

I can see a split by gametype or something as well. Doesn't really matter to me in the end.
            My maps: DM-Incomplete | DM-Archives | DM-Foundry | DM-Sewage

Comment

A beginner map forum would be nice.

Comment

The main weakness of subforum I see is who is going to judge this? It's gonna take somebody's time.

I am aware some easy-done remakes (or should I say convertions?), spammed around with minimal effort and no real intention to work on them further, are taking of so much needed visibility and feedback from a "proper characterized UT maps". The same goes with really rookie maps. But, is it a real issue anyway? What is the quality of feedback given to maps of both categories and is it even comparable? I do believe the stuff designed better will do defend itself, get noticed and get a proper feedback from proper people.

On the other hand - it's a kind of thing that's always been like this, on every forum. So, despite me seeing the 'issue', I would leave it as it is.

What disturbs me more are all non-map threads. I know everyone's still learning the engine, myself included, but maybe these threads can be kept distinct from map-threads. But even that is not a real issue as there is 'prototype' tag.

Maybe there's some other solution, like podcast done weekly (or every 2 weeks, ie) by level makers. There's even a thread already for that.
                There's also some chance to get community streamers' attention. There's IRC also.

Dedicated review site would be too much to handle I guess, but what about some - public gallery / social media channel / thread in here - being nothing more than a screenshot feed with links to maps' threads? No comments allowed, simply an image feed with links to proper threads. It's kind of cheap solution, I know, but should be as easy as it may be. Something similar to quakemaps.tumblr.com. There is ut.rushbase.net set up nicely - some kind of gallery might be generated even there, arranging pictures from uploaders' directories directly into one gallery.
                Last edited by insomnaut; 03-31-2015, 01:40 AM.
                @insomnaut aka charon / DM-Coma / ArmorWare

Comment

Breaking it down into "pro maps" and "substandard maps" might offend some mappers and result in unneeded animosity and controversy as to what is and is not a substandard map.

I'm all in favor of a separate forum for discussing the mechanics of level design and then separate forums for map announcements/discussions. A simple way to divide up the map forums would be based on game type: DM, CTF, Other (for now).
                  UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Great maps, maps that are constantly updated will be eventually floating at the top, and "substandard" incomplete maps will sink.
                    It is already works that way.
                    Separating maps into "good" and "bad" categories - is a huge piece of **** right into the fan

Comment

Originally posted by Charon85 View Post
                      but what about some - public gallery / social media channel / thread in here - being nothing more than a screenshot feed with links to maps' threads? No comments allowed, simply an image feed with links to proper threads. It's kind of cheap solution, I know, but should be as easy as it may be. Something similar to quakemaps.tumblr.com. There is ut.rushbase.net set up nicely - some kind of gallery might be generated even there, arranging pictures from uploaders' directories directly into one gallery.
                      Good idea. I like a clear overview of maps. Now I have to search too much to find stuff. Going to look into it when I get home.

And tbh, being offended is a first world problem.
                      http://www.mapcore.org/page/features...t-feedback-r23

Comment

Interpretation
                        Some of us have been posting maps for months and loved feeling special. Now editor is free and maps are flooding in and our post gets pushed down the page.
                        Join the community Facebook page
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
                          Interpretation
                          Some of us have been posting maps for months and loved feeling special. Now editor is free and maps are flooding in and our post gets pushed down the page.
                          Yeah maps are flooding... and topic like this one too

I think we should'nt separate maps but Release forum from everything else (LD related questions, advice, tuto, ressources) and merge the "WIP" forum, anyway since the game is in "pre-alpha" stage no custom content can pretend to be final.
                          DM-IronSight-CTF-GreenCause - DM-Blaster - CTF-RavenBreak - Assault Mappack
                          Download Folders: My maps & Assault Mappack

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
                            Interpretation
                            At this point in time, we may have more mappers and maps now than actual players.
                            UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

I dont understand what the problem is. Even if u are a beginner in map design it doesnt mean that nobody is interested in these maps. They are maybe not that professional but it says nothing about the fun in the game itself. Actuallly i would suggest to take a look even at the beginner maps, becasue they bring new creative input and can u force to think outside of ur "pro-workflow-map-creation-box". Maybe u could take over ideas and work together on a professional map.

So leave it as it is pls.

Comment

Working...
                              X