No announcement yet.

The fall of the symmetric age

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asymmetric CTF is a lot of fun, and I hope to see more asymmetric maps in UT4. Some of the most fun I had in the original UT was with the uneven CTF maps. They're certainly more interesting to play.

However, as fun as they are, my competitive experience with asymmetric CTF maps is that they are inevitably unbalanced. There's really not much that can be done about that. For a game like UT where tiny differences are used to their maximum possibility with competitive play, you're going to end up with maps that are unbalanced. Half time is the best solution I've seen so far, but honestly, it is very disruptive to game flow. It's especially jarring on symmetrical maps, where it feels like the game is being interrupted for no reason, where your team's dominance of midfield is yanked away or your concentration is broken.

I'm more than fine with asymmetrical CTF maps, and from a casual standpoint, I think they're both more interesting and more fun. They just aren't workable in any sort of game where you want to win at any cost, however. I guess this iteration of UT will have to decide whether to cater to a competitive crowd or not.

Comment

I hosted a few games of CTF at a LAN, and utilized halftime on crashsite, Everyone had a blast, even people who had never played UT before. The reason people like symetry is because its safe and comfortable, and before there was no way to balance the games. With halftime, there is no balance issues at all. People don't like halftime because it creates a 'pause' in the 'middle' of a game, which is pretty much the same thing as loading a new map, BUT IT'S DIFFERENT BECAUSE IT'S NEW, AND NEW THINGS DON'T BELONG IN UT.

I kid.

In all actuality I love the idea of halftime, it turns one long game into two shorter games, but it should ONLY be used on Asymmetric maps. I LOVE playing Asymmetric maps, and defending/attacking gametypes like one-flag CTF, Assault, and AsymCTF. Halftime gives us the opportunity to utilize these gametypes and maps more: but I don't really think it is required for symmetrical games.

Comment

A pause after 10 minutes is not all it does. It resets all powerups and ends standoffs that could have resulted in a flag capture.

Comment

Originally posted by cafe View Post
          A pause after 10 minutes is not all it does. It resets all powerups and ends standoffs that could have resulted in a flag capture.
          as you mentioned earlier, this could be improved with adjustment to the overtime period
          i think overtime should only end when both flags are returned.

Comment

As cafe said, basically all competitive CTF players will want symmetrical maps.
            Half time still needs to be tweaked to make asymmetrical maps more playable

Comment

This is not a fair comparison because face is a classic in ut99 but in ut4 it's kind of lukewarm. Let's wait until we get a well-made version of coret before making this decision.

Originally posted by bacon buster View Post
              As cafe said, basically all competitive CTF players will want symmetrical maps.

Yup!
              Last edited by Jay22; 04-09-2015, 12:22 AM.

Comment

I think it will continue to be the symmetric maps continue to stay in UT in addition to the asymmetric maps that are ne cool new feature for UT4

Comment

Halftime makes asymmetric maps viable and potentially opens doors to map layouts that were untenable before. For example, it would now be possible to make a vertical map where one team's flag is on top of the hill and the other at the bottom of the hill. I don't have a problem with it and look forward to seeing some new, innovative map designs. Ultimately, the marketplace of server admins and players will end up deciding which symmetrical and asymmetrical maps are worthwhile.
                  UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Meh I'd rather half time be thrown out the window

Comment

Working...
                    X