Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A quick question about custom content with UT editor.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick question about custom content with UT editor.

Hello, I've been adding my own custom assets to the UT editor along with my own maps, however anytime I update the launcher I lose all progress, the maps are non existent along with the folders I created. i figure its because I'm adding the maps and folders to the "Restricted assets" folder, is there any truth to this? I'm sure I'm just doing it wrong or no one could save their progress ever. Thanks.

Personally i'm of the opinion that no one should touch restrictedassets in any way shape or form (adding or modifying) and be using content/Maps/xxx instead.

to answer your question, that shouldn't happen, but i've also not used the launcher version

Comment

The launcher version does not come with a Content/Maps path and defaults to saving everything in/under restrictedassets. It's actually a bit of a chore getting it to use another path, not something someone brand new to the UT4 editor is likely to do right away.

I added the MoxNix folder myself and the StarterContent folder came with a recent editor update.

A lot of times the editor sort of arbitrarily decides it needs to rebuild and compress a whole bunch of stuff in restricted assets too. I've a hunch this has something to do with accidentally opening the materials or mesh editors. Even though you didn't actually edit anything, it seems to think if you opened it, it has to rebuild it, regardless if anything changed or not.

Or I suppose it's possible I actually did change something by accident without realizing it when I was brand new to the editor and every time I get a new editor update it decides it has to rebuild all that stuff again.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by MoxNix; 04-09-2015, 06:19 PM.

Comment

How is it possible to not use Restricted Assets? Nearly anything and everything worth making a map with is in Restricted Assets.

Unless you're building a pretty office with yellow chairs.

EDIT: I glazed over the (adding or modifying) part. =)
        Last edited by ~SPECTRE~; 04-09-2015, 06:14 PM.
        Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

you're talking about the cook/share process right Mox?

Whenever you cook anything, it also cooks everything and anything it references, including some forced stuff, they don't get supplied by default, but the editor has to cook them (because they're referenced)

Comment

Originally posted by raxxy View Post
            Personally i'm of the opinion that no one should touch restrictedassets in any way shape or form (adding or modifying) and be using content/Maps/xxx instead.

to answer your question, that shouldn't happen, but i've also not used the launcher version
            Alright so I should avoid saving my maps/custom folders under the restricted assets folder, hopefully I don't lose progress again :/

Comment

Originally posted by ~SPECTRE~ View Post
              How is it possible to not use Restricted Assets? Nearly anything and everything worth making a map with is in Restricted Assets.

Unless you're building a pretty office with yellow chairs.

EDIT: I glazed over the (adding or modifying) part. =)
              You can always copy it to another path and use from there, but I think he meant more you shouldn't change anything in there, not that you shouldn't include it in your map.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                The launcher version does not come with a Content/Maps path and defaults to saving everything in/under restrictedassets. It's actually a bit of a chore getting it to use another path, not something someone brand new to the UT4 editor is likely to do right away.

I added the MoxNix folder myself and the StarterContent folder came with a recent editor update.

A lot of times the editor sort of arbitrarily decides it needs to rebuild and compress a whole bunch of stuff in restricted assets too. I've a hunch this has something to do with accidentally opening the materials or mesh editors. Even though you didn't actually edit anything, it seems to think if you opened it, it has to rebuild it, regardless if anything changed or not.

Or I suppose it's possible I actually did change something by accident without realizing it when I was brand new to the editor and every time I get a new editor update it decides it has to rebuild all that stuff again.
                Awesome thanks for the reply!

Comment

you're talking about the cook/share process right Mox?

Whenever you cook anything, it also cooks everything and anything it references, including some forced stuff, they don't get supplied by default, but the editor has to cook them (because they're referenced)
                  Partly yes. The thing is sometimes it cooks a whole bunch of stuff and takes hours.... For no apparent reason. And I know for a fact at least a few times when it's done that was right after I accidentally doubleclicked and opened the mesh or materials editor. I didn't actually change anything but on the next cook it'd rebuild a whole bunch of stuff (most of which I never even touched) and get stuck on compressing forever.

One thing I found is if when you rebuild it asks to save a bunch of stuff you know you didn't change, don't hit yes! That'll ensure a long build and a really long cook next time around.
                  Last edited by MoxNix; 04-09-2015, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Also something somewhat unrelated, if I were to make my own custom MOD, using UT's basic template assets/characters, animations, Ui and gametype code, would it be possible to do so as long as I keep my own content in my own folder? What if I needed to reference both my own content and for example UT's default character blueprint, if I had to modify both would the changes save the next time I update the launcher? and would editing the basic blueprint of a character cause too many problems in the future if I wanted to let other players use it with the UT launcher?

Comment

You're not allowed to use UT's content in a different stand-alone mod - as in, a mod that has its own exe file and doesn't run inside the current UT (at the moment, anyway..) however, if the mod runs inside UT you can use it as much as you like (obviously)

if you need to MODIFY something (like a blueprint) make a new one and make the one you want to change a parent of it, or just flat out duplicate it, then re-parent the duplicate back to the original source (file menu in blueprints)

Comment

You're not allowed to use UT's content in a different stand-alone mod - as in, a mod that has its own exe file and doesn't run inside the current UT (at the moment, anyway..) however, if the mod runs inside UT you can use it as much as you like (obviously)

if you need to MODIFY something (like a blueprint) make a new one and make the one you want to change a parent of it, or just flat out duplicate it, then re-parent the duplicate back to the original source (file menu in blueprints)
                        Ya thats the plan, It wouldn't be a stand alone mod, it would be essentially its own game mode with the potential to be sold in the UT marketplace. Alright I'll try that, thanks! I'm mainly asking since I tried to modify the default character using the same method I used for a UE4 project but it wouldn't work correctly, it may be another technical problem entirely.

Comment

I had just posted a similar topic in a subforum and one thing I found out was that I never used the Save All button in the Content Browser and the editor was left open for a couple of weeks while I worked on it. At some point the editor was closed and there was an engine/editor/UT update. Since I didn't use the Save All button, my static meshes got wiped out either from the restart or the update.

@MoxNix - You mention "the launcher version" of the editor. What other version is there that would come with more content?

W.I.P.s
                          DM-Containers

Comment

Working...
                          X