Noob Question Can You import map from Unreal Engine into UE4 for use in UT4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob Question Can You import map from Unreal Engine into UE4 for use in UT4

Hi . sry I am a complete noob at making maps in UT4. I was constantly having crashes in UE4 while making maps as of two previous versions.. so after much frustration I moved to making a map in Unreal Engine (just assuming that I would at some time in the future be able to export it into UE4).
    After much looking on the internet and forums I can find no info on exporting to UE4 from Unreal Engine. I have put in about 4-5 hours into my map and would hope that I will not have to start from scratch in UE4 with the risk of crashing again.
    ty in advance !!

Just to clarify your question, I'm assuming you mean you're making a Project in UE4 and want to be able to move it to the UT Editor, is that correct? I assume you can, but since I'm new to the engine as well, I can't tell you how it works. Just wanted to make sure you're asking the right question. Unreal Engine and UE4 are the same thing.

Maybe backup your map files and just do a fresh install with the latest release. See if you can use the UT Editor then.

Good luck.

W.I.P.s
    DM-Containers

Comment

Yes you are correct . I would like to export from Unreal Engine into UE4. I have used the export function and saved it in many formats none of which are recognized by UE4.
      ty for your response BigAl3d. It seems strange that with all the knowledge in these forums that no one has responded with an easy YES or No. sigh

Comment

i ran into same problem, although apparently at a much later date lol. anyone know of a work around to open engine map in editor?
        There are two keys to success in life, One: don't tell everyone everything you know and Two:

Comment

1) Open map in UE4
          2) Select all
          3) Export
          4) Open UTE4
          5) Import
          6) Miller-Time

What you will also have to do is recreate everything inside of UTE4, but it's OK! You can simply Migrate:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Migrate.jpg
Views:	1657
Size:	549.2 KB
ID:	385897

Read the text "Copies all selected assets and their dependencies to another project"

The way to look at it is UT4 is an UE4 project, geddit?

All you have to do is point UE4 to the location of UTE4, and open a bottle of smooth-tasting Miller.
          Attached Files
          Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

hey, i only had a few minutes last night to try your suggestion. I selected my map in content browser and migrated it. I put it in unreal editor content folder. It sent it as a .fbx file. I went into unreal editor and imported that file but after import i didnt see the same map as i migrated from unreal engine. i'm obviously doing something wrong but not sure what. when i imported it from content folder of the editor several files opened but not that "main" map one i had in unreal engine. any ideas of what i'm doing wrong? I can send screen shots when i get home from work if that will shed light on what step i'm missing. should it be an .fbx file? does it have to be in content folder when i migrate? thanks again for all your help. you have been a life saver as i try to learn this program. if i could migrate properly i'd migrate a miller to you lol. make that a case!
            There are two keys to success in life, One: don't tell everyone everything you know and Two:

Comment

one other thing i found online searching for answers was people saying to copy "content" folder in unreal engine in explorer and paste it in unreal editor. not sure if that works. didnt try it since i wasn't sure where to put content folder in unreal tournament editor. Its my first map so i won't be copying over anything if that method works.

Comment

Originally posted by Mondogrunday View Post
                hey, i only had a few minutes last night to try your suggestion. I selected my map in content browser and migrated it. I put it in unreal editor content folder. It sent it as a .fbx file. I went into unreal editor and imported that file but after import i didn't see the same map as i migrated from unreal engine. I'm obviously doing something wrong but not sure what. when i imported it from content folder of the editor several files opened but not that "main" map one i had in unreal engine. any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? I can send screen shots when i get home from work if that will shed light on what step I'm missing. should it be an .fbx file? does it have to be in content folder when i migrate? thanks again for all your help. you have been a life saver as i try to learn this program. if i could migrate properly I'd migrate a miller to you lol. make that a case!

one other thing i found online searching for answers was people saying to copy "content" folder in unreal engine in explorer and paste it in unreal editor. not sure if that works. didn't try it since i wasn't sure where to put content folder in unreal tournament editor. Its my first map so i won't be copying over anything if that method works.
                I'm obviously doing something wrong but not sure what. when i imported it from content folder of the editor several files opened but not that "main" map one i had in unreal engine. any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Some descriptors here...

A "umap" is your map in Unreal Engine 4. What you would ideally like to do is export/import/open whatever you created in Unreal Engine 4, and the simplest way in your mind is to just open the umap file.

As Unreal Engine 4 requires you to create a Project, and Unreal Tournament is its own independent project created in exactly the same way you have created your own project - there is disparity.

So lets break it down...

All objects, materials, textures, soundcues anything that has been created in Unreal Engine 4 can be migrated. The only time you cannot do this, is when the tool used to create it (like a plugin) is not available in the other project, or if there are other elements at a code level not in the other project. As UTE4 is a project and has a limited amount of plugins licensed to it, what you can migrate is mostly the raw building blocks from another project, like a skeletal mesh or material. Once you try to migrate something which uses a plugin not supported in UTE4, it will break.

This is why I suggested exporting the entire level/map and importing it into UTE4, which as you correctly pointed out, does so in FBX file format.

IF you want to export the BSP Geometry (something I did not believe you were doing) you can simply [CTRL+C] [CTRL+V] the brushes (World Outliner is the best place to do this from, it can get messy using the viewport) and shazam! it's there.

I did mention the materials, though and yes, you will have to migrate these, or recreate the ones you used for your brushwork. Sorry 'bout that.

Dang, after all that talking, I really could go for a nice cool and refreshing tall and frosty dew-laden glass of Miller...
                Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

ok, will give this a go after work. a **** you're making me thirsty for a certain beverage.

Comment

k, getting closer. i can see something that resembles my map lol. error message in perspective view "No active Level Sequencer detected. Please edit a Level Sequence to enable full controls." not sure what to do there. also as you can see there is a giant sphere in my map that wasn't in original. not sure why that appeared after migration. but at least its a step in the right direction.

Comment

k, getting closer. i can see something that resembles my map lol. error message in perspective view "No active Level Sequencer detected. Please edit a Level Sequence to enable full controls." not sure what to do there. also as you can see there is a giant sphere in my map that wasn't in original. not sure why that appeared after migration. but at least its a step in the right direction.
                      That's a sky sphere. A thing I noticed the other day when looking your pics is that you were using multiple sky spheres. You only need one blueprint per map/level. You'll note I mentioned blueprints and project specific stuff, blueprints fall under that and have issues migrating between projects. Essentially this is because they are C+ (or whatever), coded for something else. Only select the dimensional objects, like static meshes and lights.

The level sequence thing, that's to do with the viewport being in a mode that relates to using the camera which I suspect you also exported in the FBX.

So, my apologies, it's all on me - I wasn't clear or specific enough when I suggested exporting everything. Completely assumptive by me in that I figured you were only using static meshes, geometry, lights and in-built volumes like lightmass volumes and navigation volumes.

I should have considered all things you were experimenting with in UE4, totally on me 'brah

Moving forward, about a year ago someone asked me to do a secure broadcast for them to run through the basics. I was at my terminal, they were watching and we were both on Discord talking through the basics, such as this. I'm happy to do this for you, but (and I am being completely honest here) there are soooooo many videos on YouTube for this particular variant/project, I would perhaps be depriving you of the joy of the learning process and discovery yourself?

I can recommend the following video series:

Link

This is from Russell Meakin, a known level designer. The video series is interesting as it covers UT4alpha from 2014 but I have always found Russell to have a very clear understanding of the principles of level design, and these series are high-speed with commentary. Be warned, it's NSFW on the language.

Link

This is from Chris Kay and covers the CTF - Lost Tomb level design. Similar to Russell, it was recorded high-speed and has commentary from CK under and over, very interesting.

There are others, but these two series are (I believe) the most interesting.

~

Miller are having a sale...it's time.
                      Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

ok cool, thanks for links. i have found quite a few tutorials so far and found them to be very helpful (build elevator, jump pad etc.) I will re-examine my migration and eliminate what is causing the problems. I'll check out the links you suggested as well. I do actually enjoy learning this as I go. If i get to a road block I cant overcome the discord step may have potential. i'll keep you posted with my progress. I really do appreciate all the guidance you have provided.

Comment

just remembered another question i was going to ask. If i have a symmetrical map and build half, can i just duplicate that half and rotate it and attach it to original half? was just curious since i have elevators done through blue print and the trigger boxes are numbered, would both elevators go up or down when a player steps on just one of them?

also started watching the vids you gave me links to, very good indeed!

Comment

just remembered another question i was going to ask. If i have a symmetrical map and build half, can i just duplicate that half and rotate it and attach it to original half? was just curious since i have elevators done through blue print and the trigger boxes are numbered, would both elevators go up or down when a player steps on just one of them?

also started watching the vids you gave me links to, very good indeed!
                            1) Select that which you want to mirror/duplicate (avoiding sky spheres )
                            2) Select Duplicate
                            3) Right-Click > MIRROR X, Y or Z
                            4) Slide into place

As you pointed out, you can rotate everything after duplication, but I've known it crash when doing that, even with clean white-boxing - less so with static meshes than Geometry objects.
                            Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                            X