Any Good Bot Path Tutorials?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Good Bot Path Tutorials?

I've been looking for some bot path tuts for Unreal 4 and can't seem to find any. Is a Nav Mesh the same thing? I just want the bots to move around my map before I put it up for testing. I have a few lifts and jump pads in my map too.

Cheers guys!
    Win 10
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Maps:
    DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
    2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

yeah, just drop a NavMeshBoundsVolume around your playing area! you can use as many as you need what I've read/heard!

Frag on!
    http://s5.postimg.org/edy9j9ykn/Laam...Forum_Sig1.jpg

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-
    http://s5.postimg.org/qsk8gc8zn/Instagib.gif

Comment

Hey Laambo! Thanks man! I already did it though. I still can't get my lower level to turn green. Gonna work on it while the map gets tested

Originally posted by Laambo View Post
      yeah, just drop a NavMeshBoundsVolume around your playing area! you can use as many as you need what I've read/heard!

Frag on!
      Win 10
      3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
      32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:
      DM-RadioActive (Work In progress) DM-Ethos (WIP) DM-QWERTY (WIP) DM-TwinFalls(WIP)
      2k4 DM-MoonGames, DM-Abrenabba, DM-Aphelion, DM-Pyrimid-Of-Gold, DM-UPH-Hexed, Dm-Saint, DM-LethalAdixion, DM-C4-Ariza, Dm-C4-SleepyTomb,

Comment

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Even if you can drop the Nav Mesh properly, the bots still might not move around your map. So far no one has provided a tutorial explaining what to do if the Navmesh is insufficient. For example, what if the bots simply won't move from one side of the map to the other even if green squares are connected by pathing?
        UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
          For example, what if the bots simply won't move from one side of the map to the other even if green squares are connected by pathing?
          That's probably just because there's nothing the bots are interested in over there. Everything they want is in another part of the map so they stay there unless they get into a fight with a player and chase him over there.

It's always been like that even in the older games, you have to put something the bots want or they won't go there. Spreading powerups and weapons around helps a lot, in 2k4 they loved adrenaline and if IIRC in 99 they liked vials almost as much.

In UT4 I notice the bots really, really like the amp... They'll go for a weapon first when spawning but after that seem to prioritize amp above all else, certainly over shield or armor. So if you really want the bots to go somewhere try putting the amp there. If they don't go for amp when it spawns, your navmesh probably isn't working.
          Last edited by MoxNix; 04-17-2015, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Here's a conversation about pathing and building, that may or may not help.
            https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...=nav+mesh+woes
            Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

Thanks guys!
              Win 10
              3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
              32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                That's probably just because there's nothing the bots are interested in over there. Everything they want is in another part of the map so they stay there unless they get into a fight with a player and chase him over there.
                The enemy flag seems like a pretty good reason to go to the other side of the map, as does the shield belt (middle of the map), and chasing down the EFC. But my bots prefer to stay home and defend.

Ultimately, I map for human players to play vs. other human players, so I don't care too much about bots. We play the game in online multiplayer because bots simply don't provide a comparable experience to playing vs. real people. However, I'd still prefer for the bots to be able to move around the map properly.
                UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Try changing the BotDesirability parameter on your weaponbases to something above 0.0. I'm not sure I'd this was the key but it seemed to help my boys move around more.
                  DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

My bots seem to be working the map pretty well now. But is there a way to get them to slide up slopes?
                    Win 10
                    3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
                    32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Maps:

Comment

Working...
                    X