Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to put my own files ?

Hi guys !

I want to create my own meshes for my level but I'm not sure where to put them exacly. Is there one specific location that I should use, or can I create my own folder in the RestrictedAssets/Maps/WIP directory and put everything there ?
    My portfolio : krystian.krissart.pl
    My UT map (WIP) : Tropical Tower

Mine is as follows: RestrictedAssets/Maps/WIP/DM-Amigara/Meshes/ or RestrictedAssets/Maps/WIP/DM-Amigara/Particles/, etc.
    Also, when I use assets from unreal I copy them into my own map folder. You don't want to make changes to the default assets, and have directories all over the place. Have everything in one place, nicely categorized.
    Last edited by ChA1NsAw; 04-18-2015, 09:23 AM.

Comment

I see, thanks again !

Comment

I general you should not use RestrictedAssets for you own custom content. This is preserver for official content (which is not allowed to be used outside of UT). You can always create your folders like:
        Code:
        Content/Maps/DM-MyMap/*
        ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
        ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

I was applying wishful thinking of my map being added into the game.

Comment

Ow, should I save my map outside of the restriced folder as well ?

Comment

Not needed but recommended yes.
              ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
              ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

ok, thanks

Comment

Panicking and moving stuff around is bad

Guys, just so no one gets hurt after I was, don't try to move your map away from RestrictedAssets if it's already there. I just lost mine while doing so. However any other assets can be moved around safely.

What exactly happened - after I tried to move it, while trying to save map in different folder, I kept getting message "graph is bound to external reference" mentioning LevelSummary, which I couldn't find how to unbound it, or anything about it. Trying to save it back where it was didn't help either and editor failed to unload level. So not to lose progress completely I exported my map and restarted editor. That's when I lost it, I exported in default selected filetype (.fbx instead unreal text) and couldn't import back anything. Not that I lost something important, but my DM-Albatross looked kinda cool. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by OmgSneakers View Post
                    Guys, just so no one gets hurt after I was, don't try to move your map away from RestrictedAssets if it's already there. I just lost mine while doing so. However any other assets can be moved around safely.

What exactly happened - after I tried to move it, while trying to save map in different folder, I kept getting message "graph is bound to external reference" mentioning LevelSummary, which I couldn't find how to unbound it, or anything about it. Trying to save it back where it was didn't help either and editor failed to unload level. So not to lose progress completely I exported my map and restarted editor. That's when I lost it, I exported in default selected filetype (.fbx instead unreal text) and couldn't import back anything. Not that I lost something important, but my DM-Albatross looked kinda cool. Sigh.
                    maybe do a "save as" and change it to your new location you want?
                    http://s5.postimg.org/edy9j9ykn/Laam...Forum_Sig1.jpg

http://aggressivewarriors.com -=- {AW}'s Community Map Test Server -=-
                    http://s5.postimg.org/qsk8gc8zn/Instagib.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Laambo View Post
                      maybe do a "save as" and change it to your new location you want?
                      Yeah, this might work, although I can't try it out now, you see why . What I did instead - I moved map into different folder in asset browser. That was a bad idea, really... sometimes I do really stupid things.

Comment

Originally posted by OmgSneakers View Post
                        I moved all my maps out of restrictedassets a while back with very little trouble. Later I had a minor problem moving some assets I'd made myself (mostly meshes) out of there but using the fix redirectors thing solved that.

Comment

Originally posted by ChA1NsAw View Post
                          and have directories all over the place.
                          Directories... Ah, that reminds me of the days programming BBS Doors (mods) on my old Amiga.

Comment

Hi, I asked this myself some time ago and the most recent official map making tutorial ( https://learn.unrealtournament.com/t...map01-gameplay ) tells to put maps into /Content/RestrictedAssets/Maps/... in order to have the map available at the game menus...

I agree that "RestrictedAssets" is just a temporary location for those files and I hope they have a clean and intuitive directorystructure later but the question is where to put currently a map and its content in order to run it on a server without causing trouble for others who have to install the map

Has anyone successfully ran a server with a custommap and own content located in Content/Maps/ ?
                            http://uteditor.de/gfx/banner/uteditor_de_88x31.png :: My UT3 maps :: German UT3 mapping tutorials :: UT Art :: current UT4 map WIP ::

Comment

Well I have my map in Content/Maps/MyMapName/ directory and I have no problem seeing it in my game browser. I can run it and play with bots no problem. I didn't try to run my own server with it, but some people downloaded my .pak file and didn't complain about any errors or missing files :P

Comment

Working...
                              X