Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic Community Map Challenge

Community Map Challenge

I had a fun idea. How about some sort of community map challenge?

We did this way back when on Unreal Playground. We chose a theme and everyone had to make a map using that theme. We did a Halloween Map Pack this way and it turned out really well!

How about we start with something like a Summer theme?

Last edited by effects69; 04-23-2015, 04:22 PM. Reason: Change of mind

• replied
    Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
    I don't think it works that way. People wouldn't be competing to texture one immutable map. Rather, they'd be designing their own maps consistent with the theme. For example, numerous maps were produced for the Dr. Seuss map project. There were also contests like the 24hr mapping contest, square blocks only contest, and under 300k map contest.
    Indeed, when I first posted the idea for the contest was that we all take DM-Radioactive and make our own meshes and textures for it. The new contest is a much better idea imo.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The post was changed since aniviron made his reply.

I think I will start up a Summer themed challenge. What would you say is a good time limit? 1 month, 2 months?

I've done a 2 hour map challenge before and my mapd DM-Abrenabba became quite popular because of it.

Originally posted by WHIPperSNAPper View Post
    I don't think it works that way. People wouldn't be competing to texture one immutable map. Rather, they'd be designing their own maps consistent with the theme. For example, numerous maps were produced for the Dr. Seuss map project. There were also contests like the 24hr mapping contest, square blocks only contest, and under 300k map contest.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by aniviron View Post
    Seems like it would be a huge duplication of effort- I'd much rather see five maps get a mesh and material pass than one map getting it five times and only using one of them. There are lots of great maps that need art passes as is.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yup! It worked great before at the Unreal Playground forum. We made some really nice map packs that way. And this can include mappers of all skill levels.

Now that's a good idea. It might work out better this way with one theme- if everyone working on the contest makes a handful of assets, a few materials or meshes, if we pool our resources we might have enough to make a few complete levels out of it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Now that's a good idea. It might work out better this way with one theme- if everyone working on the contest makes a handful of assets, a few materials or meshes, if we pool our resources we might have enough to make a few complete levels out of it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've edited my original thread, A map challenge is still a great idea, so how about we pick a theme and everyone one has to create a map based around that theme? Say a Halloween map pack theme, a Summer theme, a Christmas theme. I think this could be really fun!
    Last edited by effects69; 04-23-2015, 12:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great points there Spectre I will keep working on it as well as learning how to use 3D programs so I can make my own meshes.

Originally posted by ~SPECTRE~ View Post
    There shouldn't be any pressure to get a map done quickly, at this point. Especially an original one.
    UT is pre-alpha, and has been for almost a year now. Take your time and make your map great!
    As stated above...there will be more assets and other peoples maps to inspire, as you go along.

I always had the anxiety of never finishing a project until I worked on a few official SKUs.
    Keep in mind a couple of things:
    - Having a plan is helpful
    - Striving for perfection is fine, but it makes you second guess yourself too much

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There shouldn't be any pressure to get a map done quickly, at this point. Especially an original one.
    UT is pre-alpha, and has been for almost a year now. Take your time and make your map great!
    As stated above...there will be more assets and other peoples maps to inspire, as you go along.

I always had the anxiety of never finishing a project until I worked on a few official SKUs.
    Keep in mind a couple of things:
    - Having a plan is helpful
    - Striving for perfection is fine, but it makes you second guess yourself too much

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yup, it can suck all the creativity out of ya.

Originally posted by Venguard View Post
    I feel your pain, I was on a weeks holiday so I got to do a lot of work on my map, this week back on my 40hr week in work

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by effects69 View Post
    I'm still working on the map myself of course, It's just gonna take some time because of my crazy hours at work. I hope they have something with snow, I'm sure Chill will probably have some snow meshes.
    I feel your pain, I was on a weeks holiday so I got to do a lot of work on my map, this week back on my 40hr week in work

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm still working on the map myself of course, It's just gonna take some time because of my crazy hours at work. I hope they have something with snow, I'm sure Chill will probably have some snow meshes.

Originally posted by Venguard View Post
    Just wait for them to put out more mesh like outpost 32 , the game is only alpha im sure in a few months there will be a lot meshs to work with

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by effects69 View Post
    I can see your point, I have such a busy schedule and no time to learn how to make meshes myself, I don't want to see my map go to waste and thought this might be a fun way to get it finished.
    Just wait for them to put out more mesh like outpost 32 , the game is only alpha im sure in a few months there will be a lot meshs to work with

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I can see your point, I have such a busy schedule and no time to learn how to make meshes myself, I don't want to see my map go to waste and thought this might be a fun way to get it finished.

Seems like it would be a huge duplication of effort- I'd much rather see five maps get a mesh and material pass than one map getting it five times and only using one of them. There are lots of great maps that need art passes as is.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X