Play Owned PainCausingVolume

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play Owned PainCausingVolume

Iv had some request to change a PainCausingVolume to award its kill to the person who triggered it

my map is https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...DM-FractalCore

As it stands you shoot the triggers on the floor the pit opens
    you fall in and you take 9999 damage from the PainCausingZone.

At the moment it is set to UTDamageTypeSuicide

My guess is I need to start using the switches "Instigated By" node but I cant find any info online on how to work with this node.

Any help would be great.
    Ciaran "Venguard" O Kelly
    Maps U2K4 : AS-Protocore ///AS-Krystalis Station ------ Maps TF2 : CTF-Daylight /// CP-2Shack
    Maps UT4 : DM-FractalCore /// DM-Q3DM17

The map's looking good At a glance, I don't think it's possible to override the damage instigator for a pain volume. I think they're intended more as environmental hazards, in which case the kill credit goes to the last player to damage the person who is killed by the pain volume.

Instead, since you're looking for an instant kill, I'd suggest replacing that with a trigger volume (collision presets set to overlap only pawns), then create an "On begin overlap" event, and connect that to an "Apply damage" function so that you can plug in an instigator like this:

Where these nodes go will depend on how you've got things set up currently. If all the logic is in the level Blueprint then it should be pretty straightforward - let me know if you need any clarification, though.
    Attached Files

Comment

Follow up noob question but what type of "Set" is that?? (Im really new at this)

I click on new Variable in the EventGraph. Iv tried "Name", "String" and the rest seem to be number based so I assume its not them or am I wrong??
      Attached Files
      Maps U2K4 : AS-Protocore ///AS-Krystalis Station ------ Maps TF2 : CTF-Daylight /// CP-2Shack

Comment

Originally posted by [Epic]Thomas Browett View Post
        I think they're intended more as environmental hazards, in which case the kill credit goes to the last player to damage the person who is killed by the pain volume.
        This doesn't happen for me, they always count as suicides, even if I shoot someone into them. Is this fixable on my end?
        My maps: DM-Incomplete | DM-Archives | DM-Foundry | DM-Sewage

Comment

Originally posted by Venguard View Post
          Follow up noob question but what type of "Set" is that?? (Im really new at this)

I click on new Variable in the EventGraph. Iv tried "Name", "String" and the rest seem to be number based so I assume its not them or am I wrong??
          That's a PlayerController variable. A quick shortcut to making one is to right-click on the pin you want to get the variable from and select "Promote to variable". So on the "OnTakePointDamage" event you can right-click on "Instigated by" to get the matching variable type.

Originally posted by Darksteel View Post
          This doesn't happen for me, they always count as suicides, even if I shoot someone into them. Is this fixable on my end?
          I just did a quick test with the goo pools in Deck and it looks like you get the kill credit so long as the volume's damage type is set to Environmental. If it's set to Suicide then it must override it to always count as a suicide.

Comment

Sweet that works a charm, thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
            X