Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting ASE to UE4?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Converting ASE to UE4?

    I'd like to go in there and port (or in some cases recreate) a couple of maps from UT2K4. Redoing some of the BSP work isn't a big deal to me, but I'm not ready to spend forever re-creating all the decorative static meshes from scratch.

    If I'm not mistaken, for UT2K4 the static meshes are stored in .ASE format. Has Anyone had any success in converting these static meshes into a usable format in UE4? I've spent the last day and a half looking for different methods including Blender scripts, 3DS Max plugins, etc.

    No luck thus far on my end, and this is probably the only thing keeping me from converting some 2K4 maps that people have been asking for like DM-DE-Osirus2.
    ON-GOING PROJECTS: DM-BloodCovenant, DM-Campgrounds (Absolute)
    CONTACT & TWITCH: Absolute Discord
    , Twitch

    #2
    You can always convert meshes to brushes in 2k4, export as t3d, import the t3d into UT4, put materials on the brushes and convert to static mesh in UT4.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by darkskyabove
      Try: FBX® 2013.2 Converter

      It's official AutoDesk so it darn well should work (.ase and .fbx being Autodesk formats). And it might be free. I was able to download with no interference, and install. But it wouldn't run with WINE. (The Linux way to run Windows apps; sometimes!!!)
      I've already tried that, unfortunately it doesn't seem to open/import/convert from .ASE files.

      Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
      You can always convert meshes to brushes in 2k4, export as t3d, import the t3d into UT4, put materials on the brushes and convert to static mesh in UT4.
      This method would require reskinning the each individual mesh by hand, if I'm not mistaken?
      ON-GOING PROJECTS: DM-BloodCovenant, DM-Campgrounds (Absolute)
      CONTACT & TWITCH: Absolute Discord
      , Twitch

      Comment


        #4
        You cannot just convert mesh and stick it in UE4 there are too many issues with uv's and other stuff.
        You need to put the mesh into a 3d tool , like 3dmax or blender, preferably you should remake the mesh based on the original as fixing the issues will probably take just as long.

        - The link in my signature has most of the info you need on remaking maps.
        Internet BlackOut in <2 weeks,last chance to request 4 years of Unreal Development(something from every Unreal Engine 50+ maps, chars, weapons, mods, mutators and more).

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by TKBS View Post
          You cannot just convert mesh and stick it in UE4 there are too many issues with uv's and other stuff.
          You need to put the mesh into a 3d tool , like 3dmax or blender, preferably you should remake the mesh based on the original as fixing the issues will probably take just as long.

          - The link in my signature has most of the info you need on remaking maps.
          As mentioned previously, even through attempts via 3DS Max, Blender as well as some other tools that I've tried it hasn't really worked. I know that I could try to recreate each mesh by hand of course, but this thread was more of a reaching out to see if anyone's got a better way as UT2K4 meshes are pretty detailed, and I don't really have the time to recreate each one by hand.

          Which link on your site do you cover meshes specifically?
          ON-GOING PROJECTS: DM-BloodCovenant, DM-Campgrounds (Absolute)
          CONTACT & TWITCH: Absolute Discord
          , Twitch

          Comment


            #6
            if you do not want to look around the website then I will cover this topic for you in the LD tutorial i make.
            Keep an eye on this thread:
            https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...template-(y-n)

            - And feel free to add any more requests/ issues you might have so i can cover it all at once (if possible)
            Internet BlackOut in <2 weeks,last chance to request 4 years of Unreal Development(something from every Unreal Engine 50+ maps, chars, weapons, mods, mutators and more).

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by TKBS View Post
              if you do not want to look around the website then I will cover this topic for you in the LD tutorial i make.
              Keep an eye on this thread:
              https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...template-(y-n)

              - And feel free to add any more requests/ issues you might have so i can cover it all at once (if possible)
              Excuse my rudeness, but I'm assuming that you don't have any information on your website specifically about converting ASE static meshes from Unreal Editor 2.0 into a usable format in UE4 and that you're just trying to plug your website and gain more traffic. If I'm wrong I apologize, but as you didn't point me to a direct link on your website where you would have that information I'm guessing I was right. And I don't appreciate being effectively lied to.

              However, I do appreciate you trying to contribute to the community. So good luck with your tutorials and with your endeavors.
              ON-GOING PROJECTS: DM-BloodCovenant, DM-Campgrounds (Absolute)
              CONTACT & TWITCH: Absolute Discord
              , Twitch

              Comment


                #8
                apology accepted
                - the information you want is there, to avoid shamelessly promoting it myself, i left the link for you to find rather than post it here. make sense?

                People are more likely to click a link if i put it there, i don't care about traffic on a free wordpress site trinatek, let's be clear on that. people read it certain ways on the internet if anything my actions purposefully keep the clicks down. Evidence of this is on my youtube channel (comparison between getting views and not , and how to increase views/ not).

                - I thought by adding your request to the other requests in the form of a video i could save time and provide a more informative direct helpful response. Im not surprised by your innate desire to jump on a high horse and be aggressive, so i do not hold it against you.

                Iv'e been here 6 years, i don't ask for views or clicks or likes unless i have a good reason (most notably my steam attack).
                - You have an opportunity to ask for more and be detailed with what you want to see, i have a chance to either learn more, or provide more that is all.

                p.s.
                i apologise if it has become hassle for you to find the information. please be patient. Providing helpful content to the community takes preparation and your patience is appreciated, but you can always do this:
                export from UN ed2
                use XtremeXP's tool to convert a UnEd2 map to UT3. > Export to OBJ > Import into 3D software (blender) > follow a UV unwrap tutorial (also on my site) > import into UE4 as fbx ←this is why i say ill help in video format.
                Last edited by TKBS; 05-11-2015, 01:13 PM.
                Internet BlackOut in <2 weeks,last chance to request 4 years of Unreal Development(something from every Unreal Engine 50+ maps, chars, weapons, mods, mutators and more).

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by TKBS View Post
                  apology accepted
                  - the information you want is there, to avoid shamelessly promoting it myself, i left the link for you to find rather than post it here. make sense?

                  People are more likely to click a link if i put it there, i don't care about traffic on a free wordpress site trinatek, let's be clear on that. people read it certain ways on the internet if anything my actions purposefully keep the clicks down. Evidence of this is on my youtube channel (comparison between getting views and not , and how to increase views/ not).

                  - I thought by adding your request to the other requests in the form of a video i could save time and provide a more informative direct helpful response. Im not surprised by your innate desire to jump on a high horse and be aggressive, so i do not hold it against you.

                  Iv'e been here 6 years, i don't ask for views or clicks or likes unless i have a good reason (most notably my steam attack).
                  - You have an opportunity to ask for more and be detailed with what you want to see, i have a chance to either learn more, or provide more that is all.

                  p.s.
                  i apologise if it has become hassle for you to find the information. please be patient. Providing helpful content to the community takes preparation and your patience is appreciated, but you can always do this:
                  export from UN ed2
                  use XtremeXP's tool to convert a UnEd2 map to UT3. > Export to OBJ > Import into 3D software (blender) > follow a UV unwrap tutorial (also on my site) > import into UE4 as fbx ←this is why i say ill help in video format.
                  Thank you for keeping a calm demeanor, will look into. Thanks for the info!
                  ON-GOING PROJECTS: DM-BloodCovenant, DM-Campgrounds (Absolute)
                  CONTACT & TWITCH: Absolute Discord
                  , Twitch

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Hi!

                    this method works for me:

                    * open the 2004-editor and place the meshes that you want to export in a new, empty map. Go to File->Export and choose *.obj as file-format.

                    * open your 3d-program (I'm using blender) and import the file.
                    (the meshes are probably quite big, so I have to change my camera-clipping to 100 000 to be able to see the meshes)

                    * The polygons that make up the meshes aren't connected into a single mesh, so go into edit mode, vertex select and press a to select all polygons and then ctrl+v and choose Remove Doubles. This will connect the polygons into a single mesh (or several if it is made of several pieces).

                    * The objects will have their pivot-point at the center of the map, so you will have to change that manually.

                    * The UV-lay-outs will be kept intact in the procedure so you can now simply export the meshes as fbx-files and import them into ue4.

                    * For the textures, you must have a program that can read dds-formats, since ue4 can' t read this format. I use Gimp for this, but you must install a DDS-plug-in.


                    The process might seem tedious, but once you learn it, it's quite fast, took me around 5 minutes to import a couple of meshes and their textures.

                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by AndyN; 05-11-2015, 02:59 PM.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      It's actually easier than you think. Use WOTgreal: http://www.wotgreal.com/

                      It can export static meshes as .3ds files, which you can convert to .obj/fbx in your program of choice.

                      You can see that I had a fair amount of practice in the Gael remake, and for the most part, it turned out pretty well:

                      This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

                      It's not perfect though, for sure. Some required a little cleanup. Most of them kept their UVs, but a few meshes just got really messed up. For those, I found that making a 256 cube in Ued2, placing the mesh, converting to brush, adding, deleting mesh and then changing the active brush to a plane and moving out of the way followed by a build geo lets you export as a .obj that keeps the UVs pretty much all the time. This method will require cleanup in Blender though, but again, it's ~5 minutes at most per mesh.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X