Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Questions to begin contributing on UT4

Hi everybody!

I am Eduardo, from El Salvador. I called the Beyond Unreal forums home for many years, and I did a lot of work, some public, some private, on UE2 and UE3. I am interested in mapping for the new UT (which I will henceforth call UT4). I wanted to ask any of you guys or gals who has had experience with it some basic questions:

1) Does UT4 utilize the latest, ever-evolving version of Unreal Engine 4 (at the time of this post, version 4.8), or has it stuck with a certain branch? I ask this to avoid learning stuff for general UE4 and then finding different features in UT4.
    2) Are there any good tutorials to get started with mapping for UT4 which you guys could recommend?
    3) Is it a good idea to start mapping now, or are the core gameplay mechanics and main rules still up in the air?
    4) Just out of curiosity, is the transition from UDK/Kismet jarring? What have your personal experiences been like?

I would ike to thank you all beforehand for your responses, which will be greatly appreciated! If there is already a sticky with answers to these questions I apologize. Could someone point me to them?

Originally posted by hielo_loco View Post

1) Does UT4 utilize the latest, ever-evolving version of Unreal Engine 4 (at the time of this post, version 4.8), or has it stuck with a certain branch? I ask this to avoid learning stuff for general UE4 and then finding different features in UT4.
    2) Are there any good tutorials to get started with mapping for UT4 which you guys could recommend?
    3) Is it a good idea to start mapping now, or are the core gameplay mechanics and main rules still up in the air?
    4) Just out of curiosity, is the transition from UDK/Kismet jarring? What have your personal experiences been like?
    Welcome hielo_loco :-)
    So to answer your questions:
    - UT is currently on 4.7 engine version. Basically, the way it's been working so far is that migration is done to the top level engine version, 4.X and then changes that are made are pulled in as needed. So the UT engine branch does not have use the 4.X.Y version numbers. As of this writing, we are still on 4.7 though. The migration to 4.8 should be happening sometime in the near future, I believe.
    - Tutorials can be found on these forums with respect to engine level information such as using BSP, beginner bluepring tutorials, etc. If you're familiar with previous UEs, you should be able to jump in and start making stuff right away.
    - You can definitely begin making stuff now. There are already a lot of user created maps on these forums and being constantly played online. Some gameplay stuff is still not locked yet, but generally, you can use Epic's maps as templates. Get in the game and see which maps are played often and use those as template for gameplay related dimensions, if that's something you need.
    - Personally, I have found the transition to Blueprints from Kismet a welcome change. It honestly didn't take me too long to get the general gist of things, and working with blueprints is so much fun. I think if you're very strong with kismet, you will get blueprints pretty easily.

Cheers and goodluck sir.
    MyArtstation
    @jayoplus

Comment

Hi Jayoplus!

Thanks a lot for your response!

Awesome then! Right now I will start by doing the most fun part: playing the game to get the hang of it!

So just to be sure, if I follow any UE4 tutorial, it should apply more or less 1:1 to UT4?

Comment

More or less, yeah. UT4 is essentially a standard UE4 project.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
        Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Thanks Henrik!

Comment

Working...
          X