quick map selling question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick map selling question

am i correct in thinking that once the store is all setup to sell maps (if not already), that the items you sell on it are the .umap files for the map so ppl can edit the maps and package them themselves? While u dont sell the .pak files? Only reasons im thinking this is cause ppl are posting .pak files for ppl to use on their servers and ppl cant edit the maps with just the .pak files, so it makes sense that it would work this way. I wanna get my facts straight and possibly post some of the maps ive remade as i know some of them were widely used, especially in the lgi servers, maps such as barn and badneighbors, but a fellow admin of my clan does want to sell these maps once we can (for like a buck, nothing much), so i need the info to determine when i can release my .pak files for the community. sry, im sure this has been asked b4, but i couldnt rly think of a good search to find such a post.

Not sure exactly what part of the maps would need to be put up for sale but chances are if it is a map that was popular in one of the previous versions of UT, it has already been remade or someone is planning on doing it. The marketplace is likely to lean towards new maps rather than recreations of previous ones.

Comment

I smell a troll...

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbaxm2 View Post
        The marketplace is likely to lean towards new maps rather than recreations of previous ones.
        so u think epic is ganna restrict it to new maps only? it was my understanding that anyone can upload any map they want to make money off of, and i bet alot of that is ganna be remakes. As for others making high requested maps, it could be, i havent checked in a few weeks to see if anyone made their own versions of these maps, if they have and posted it on here, thats cool, if not then hopefully i can help out a bit when i get the info im looking for.

Comment

I can't honestly say whether or not it will be restricted to just new maps, but I can say that at the pace people are cranking out the remakes there may be none left to sell by the time the marketplace goes live. Epic will have a say on what makes it onto the market as well, so it's not just like anyone can throw up anything they want at anytime.

Could you please remove some of your sig also? It takes up half a page.

Comment

I Really don't think anyone is going to pay for a map, unlike games like CoD and BF4 were you HAVE to pay for the new maps due to the face user cant make them, in games like Unreal and TF2 so many maps are free why would anyone want to pay for them. Donations might work.
            Ciaran "Venguard" O Kelly
            Maps U2K4 : AS-Protocore ///AS-Krystalis Station ------ Maps TF2 : CTF-Daylight /// CP-2Shack
            Maps UT4 : DM-FractalCore /// DM-Q3DM17

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbaxm2 View Post
              Epic will have a say on what makes it onto the market as well,
              Yeah this is the important part. I think the exact phrasing was Epic will curate the map selection for the market. This will almost certainly rule out remakes. It will likely be equivalent to the level of quality in Community Bonus Packs from the previous games.

And to answer your original question the marketplace does and will have pak files. The umap file does not contain custom assets a map may have. But the cooked pak brings it all together under one file.
              DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

Some of the Marketplace Business Terms FAQ

- For every item sold, developers receive 70% of the base price.

- You’ll be paid monthly within 45 days following the end of any month where the cumulative payment due to you is at least $100.
                Any accumulated account balance under $100 will be paid within one calendar year.

- Users are free to modify any content they purchase from the Marketplace.

- Reasons why content may be removed from the Marketplace include the following:
                • Intellectual property dispute such as potential copyright infringement

For that last bit.....you'll need to make sure your content & code are yours and yours alone.

Still wanna sell maps?
                Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

When it says developers receive 70%, does it mean Epic, or does it mean the developer of the content?

Comment

Originally posted by aniviron View Post
                    When it says developers receive 70%, does it mean Epic, or does it mean the developer of the content?
                    Not Epic.
                    Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

I'm a bit surprised by that. Valve takes a 75% cut from user generated content revenue, from what I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by aniviron View Post
                        I'm a bit surprised by that. Valve takes a 75% cut from user generated content revenue, from what I remember.
                        And it caused a huge uproar. And for the record that 75% was determined by the publisher, not Valve.
                        DM-Nine | CTF-HolyOak

Comment

They take 75% from the items they sell in DOTA, CSGO, and TF2, and there hasn't been an outcry.

Comment

Originally posted by ~SPECTRE~ View Post
                            Some of the Marketplace Business Terms FAQ

- For every item sold, developers receive 70% of the base price.

- You’ll be paid monthly within 45 days following the end of any month where the cumulative payment due to you is at least $100.
                            Any accumulated account balance under $100 will be paid within one calendar year.

- Users are free to modify any content they purchase from the Marketplace.

- Reasons why content may be removed from the Marketplace include the following:
                            • Intellectual property dispute such as potential copyright infringement

For that last bit.....you'll need to make sure your content & code are yours and yours alone.

Still wanna sell maps?
                            Those are the terms for the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

The Unreal Tournament Marketplace is something different. And thus has different Terms.
                            http://www.unrealtournament.com/blog...rketplace-faq/

Currently the terms seem only very specific towards cosmetic items. As you can also read on that site, revenue share and further details for bigger mods (this would probably include maps) are still to be determined.
                            Last edited by Tomura; 05-17-2015, 04:24 PM.
                            youtube: youtube.com/7omura
                            soundcloud: soundcloud.com/tomura

Comment

Originally posted by EvolutionZero View Post
                              am i correct in thinking that once the store is all setup to sell maps (if not already), that the items you sell on it are the .umap files for the map so ppl can edit the maps and package them themselves? While u dont sell the .pak files? Only reasons im thinking this is cause ppl are posting .pak files for ppl to use on their servers and ppl cant edit the maps with just the .pak files, so it makes sense that it would work this way. I wanna get my facts straight and possibly post some of the maps ive remade as i know some of them were widely used, especially in the lgi servers, maps such as barn and badneighbors, but a fellow admin of my clan does want to sell these maps once we can (for like a buck, nothing much), so i need the info to determine when i can release my .pak files for the community. sry, im sure this has been asked b4, but i couldnt rly think of a good search to find such a post.
                              If I were to sell a map where I made a bunch of new textures and models for it, I certainly would not want that to be part of the purchase. I'd only agree to sell the .pak and nothing else, and put the other assets up on the unreal marketplace as a separate thing.

That said, as a user I would never be buying maps in the first place, and I don't think it'll actually work out because it'll splinter the user base too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X