Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Round robin shell builds!

A fun team project!
    Trading back and forth a very basic level adding only ~5-10 pieces of simple geometry to create some level shells.
    A just for fun kind of thing to get creative!

Participants
    These are linked to quickly send a pm!

1. Yndi
    2. Nick_D'Amato
    3. TKBS
    4. aniviron
    5. Darksteel
    6. rawlph

Round Robin BSP Shells

Why!
    Fast. You only need to put some thought in to how your few pieces of bsp works with the current bsp.
    Simple. Anyone who can use bsp can do it! You don't need a fully meshed level to create something that plays great.
    Fun! The level will (appear to) naturally evolve so it lets you worry less about where it will eventually go and just focus on creating a nice space that connects with what already exists.

Use Rushbase to upload your level. So sign up there to simplify things: https://ut.rushbase.net/
    (Maybe Raxxy can sort us out with a joint account).

How?
    1. Sign up with a post in this thread and we will add you to the round robin! Just remember the idea is to keep it fast so if you can only do this once a week or are going away let us know, it might be easier to work on a smaller, slower round robin instead with someone from this thread.

2. We'll add you to the round robin, you might have to wait a little but your turn will come! Keep an eye on the thread and your inbox.

3. Once you've completed your round:
    - please save the file and change the version number (e.g RoundRobinV01 change to RoundRobinV02).
    - upload the .umap file to your Rushbase and post a link in this thread. Make sure to look at who is next on the round robin and mention them when you post to avoid confusion, if you have the time, pm them too!
    - Add a quick pic or screenshot if you can, it would be great so others can follow the progression!

**I'm having trouble with rushbase, so I'd suggest dropbox for now probabyl if its the same for you**

Example:
    Hi guys, heres my changes. This is for Yndi! rushbase

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Simple Rules

- Stick to the 5-10 brushes. Additive, subtractive, curved, stairs.. Whatever you want to add! Just consider the flow, scale and connect to what we have already have made.. no floating asteroids of BSP all alone in the void!

- Single material/default material for the level. Simple lighting. If an area is super dark just throw a quick light in and forget it.

- Keep it simple! Work on connecting areas or creating possibilities for expansion. Remember its just a shell not a fancy piece of architecture.

- Respect other's BSP, a small amount of editing to connect or extend things is fine but please don't just delete other peoples brushes! If you really want to make some changes leave a Note/comment and add your suggestion.

- Dont worry. If things go haywire or you don't like what you've done.. chill! Mention it in the thread if you really want and ask the next person to look at a possible change. Its just for fun!
    Last edited by Yndi; 05-25-2015, 05:40 PM.

Sounds like fun! If you can find a few more people that want to do it, I'd like to participate.
    Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Despite the many reasons why this may turn out messy, this is a cool idea. I'm in if you will allow it.

Would you consider pen/paper designs first? I have been trying to design a way to make a truly balanced map, this round robin could be the answer

• 8 spawns - 8 weapons (equidistant). Additional pickups and health to compensate for position and weapons
      • blueprints to force player count over 8 to spectator mode

Clawfist should sign up for this one
      Last edited by TKBS; 05-23-2015, 03:37 AM.
      Internet BlackOut in <2 weeks,last chance to request 4 years of Unreal Development(something from every Unreal Engine 50+ maps, chars, weapons, mods, mutators and more).

Comment

I think the pen and paper to bsp can be done as well, but as a separate project!
        I think it'd be best to start a new thread for that idea TKBS and outline how you'd do that.

I guess we can use the rushbase storage? I think its called..

Will update the op.
        Last edited by Yndi; 05-23-2015, 07:11 AM.

Comment

OK guys we should just get the ball rolling I think, no point wasting time!

I've updated the thread with the some basic rules to stick to(ish).

Nick_D'Amato this is yours to add to! Click Here

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Had to use my dropbox seeing as rushbase is failing me right now. Could be my connection.

Comment

I wish you guys the best of luck with this, I really do. It's a neat idea and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out ... but it sounds like a cluster ... er ... fudge.

Seriously not sarcastic good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
              I wish you guys the best of luck with this, I really do. It's a neat idea and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out ... but it sounds like a cluster ... er ... fudge.

Seriously not sarcastic good luck!
              Cheers! Its just for fun. Time investment is completely minimal. Might give people some ideas/fun. ;p

Comment

I'd be interested, but won't be available to start doing stuff really until Tuesday.

Comment

Are we allowed to place weapons/powerups or will we do that later? Also, feel free to touch up my textures; I usually don't worry about them at this stage.

Here's the latest. (Download) TKBS, you're up.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Nick_D'Amato; 05-24-2015, 04:35 AM.
                  Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Lets go a few rounds first and then add some items yeah.

aniviron I will add you to the list for Tues onwards.

Comment

Yndi this is your thread, so im happy if your the boss I will leave notes in the map and comments in this thread and you can decide whether they should be kept or not. Feel free to discard anything you do not like.

@ YNDI Here you go! (new to dropbox, let me know if the D/L does not work)

or this?
                      _

Please only include any of the following information in your OP (original post) if you think it is helpful or relevant
                      possible standard rules:
                      • BSP lightmap resolution 256 (for smaller file size for distribution)
                      • BSP Scale (platforms max height 200 = jump height and 2 x squares for textures/ materials)
                      • No materials please, its easier to scale when you can see the default material
                      • Using notes may help show people's intentions and changes (i included a note in the map)
                      • Lighting: Try to avoid sky lights, just use static lights for now
                      • Users involved should subscribe for emails from this thread

I assume you 2 have used the UE4 editor a little bit more than me so we have a unique opportunity to learn from each other, but i hope what i did is acceptable based on previous exp.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by TKBS; 05-24-2015, 08:53 AM.
                      Internet BlackOut in <2 weeks,last chance to request 4 years of Unreal Development(something from every Unreal Engine 50+ maps, chars, weapons, mods, mutators and more).

Comment

Here you go Nick, over to you again. Download!
                        Forgot to screenshot, whoops. Next time..

TKBS:
                        Personally I've not used the editor that much, just playing around and learning.
                        Notes & Scales are a good idea. I'll add some stuff to the op.

Reason I usually add a skylight is because otherwise it's hard to have the scene lit and see anything in the shadows, makes it harder to see any depth(+scale) when playing in the engine.
                        Same thing for the default material too, personally I find it distracts my eye with noise and can create a false sense of scale.
                        I prefer to get in and look at how it plays constantly because I find scaling really odd in UT4 compared to previous games.

Will just leave it how you guys edited it as it doesn't bother me

Comment

Your turn, TKBS. Download

I like that little hole in the floor near the pillar. A weapon spawn directly below it would be nice, the Flak in particular. Players will probably run up the ramp I just added to escape the carnage.

Anyway, this is really fun. I think it would be good to start adding weapons/powerups, even if we have to move them around later. Otherwise, I don't see how we can get the map to play well if we aren't taking weapons and powerups into account.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Nick_D'Amato; 05-24-2015, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Yep this is really fun , I added lifts and wall sliding, I hope that is Ok I would like someone to add boots please

Download: here ya go YNDI

Unless anyone has a reason not to...Please try to set surfaces the same... {shift+s > set to planar > 256.0 resolution} It makes it easier for scaling.

I can put on the server with a password for us.. would you want me to do this YNDI @ NickD'amato? maybe after a few more rounds?

Attached Files
                            Last edited by TKBS; 05-25-2015, 01:06 PM.

Comment

This looks really fun! I'd like to join in for the next map if possible!
                              My maps: DM-Incomplete | DM-Archives | DM-Foundry | DM-Sewage

Comment

Working...
                              X