UT4 Converter - 0.8.10 - [18/07/2018]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by time_collapse
    But I need to reinitialise all material manually, to create materials from select all texture and right click create material will produce a material for each texture. A diffuse and a normal map from a unique material will produce 2 materials. I need to fix this manually.
    For static meshes, the materials needs to be reassign also manually.
    It's all about the t3d file.

From my perspective, this file (as I mentioned a few pages back) is the thing you have to do a series of "find and replace" to clean it up and get the engine to interpolate the nomenclature. I hit the same walls as you are hitting now, and just put a pot of coffee on and ran an entire find and replace for the materials, sound, meshes etc.

The t3d file is really there to draw the Geometry and put all 'actors' in the correct position, the conversion prior to that is to extract this info from an existing package/map.

So - what you could do is create completely brand new materials (recommended) and once you have the material inside your content browser, copy the reference and run a bulk find and replace in a text editor for the t3d file.

The materials will never, ever be 'perfect' as you are taking 'cooked' (compressed) files from another non-PBR DX9 game engine and bringing them into a DX11/12 PBR game engine. Once there, UTE4 editor will run its own compression and 'cook' the map.

You are compressing 3 times, and one of those is an different rendering system.

This is just my perspective, but yes, I would personally recreate all of the materials and copy the reference(s) into the t3d file. Scroll back and you will see my comments on this with greater clarity.
    Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 08-09-2018, 05:10 AM.
    Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Hi Mitch

Thanx for your advice, I agree creating a UE4 material from scratch will be the right way for high quality textures and materials.

I do not use t3d file but import directly .fbx, .obj or .tga files and than use right click create material in content browser. Main goal is to convert the meshes and than the materials. I do it from UE3 engine packages (not coocked or from UT3). I try to recreate some of the UE 3 mood
      anyway thanx
      best
      Dan
      Last edited by time_collapse; 08-10-2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Hi ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ

Finally did you have planned to complete the UDK support (version 0.9.0) ? Would be great and big helps.
        Thanx in advance
        Best Dan

Comment

Originally posted by time_collapse
          I do it from UE3 engine packages (not cooked or from UT3)
          They are still compressed packages in the engine. SCT3 etc. So, when the files (textures) were originally imported into the engine, prior to packing, they were in whatever format they were in with no compression. The second Unreal Engine imports it - it becomes compressed, so the engine can work with it.

The only way to get completely uncompressed textures would be to contact the original publisher and ask them very very nicely for the original files.

^^hence my "compressed 3 times" comment.

Now, if they were vector-based and not pixel-based, this would not be an issue, as vector graphics are infinite resolution.

There is a great paper on this available here from an nvidia scientist.

You can also read the patent details nvidia are putting together here
          Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Working...
          X