X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Metalfist View Post
    Any updates on this awesome tool?
    Well, I think it's pretty complete, it just needs a little bit of tinkering for static meshes, terrain, and file naming for assets generated - but that's about it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Any updates on this awesome tool?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Zeehondje View Post
    Feature request: batch support or select multiple maps to convert all after eachother.
    Why?

You could set umodel/viewer to bulk export/extract an entire folder of maps if you want, which would give you all the textures/meshes/audio you want.

From there, you could just ask UT4 convertor to only convert the actual map and ignore all the assets, as umodel is doing that for you.

Bare in mind that it is not a simple process. You still need to create all of the materials, and you need to setup folders and string lengths which will not cause the cooking process to crash the editor. As illustrated above, the *.t3d file needs editing to complete this process. In addition to this, the brush ordering needs works and then there are sizing concerns.

Converting maps is a big job. Put a pot of coffee on and get down to it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Feature request: batch support or select multiple maps to convert all after eachother.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Dude, your my hero!
    It's in the instructions. Not the one to take credit for it However, using UDK is significantly faster conversion process and avoids the angular problem of meshes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
    import into UE4 with a .01 scale
    Dude, your my hero!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
    open blender
    click 'import psk'
    click 'export FBX'
    rinse and repeat.

Any issue with the FBX file, then convert the FBX file into 'FBX 2013' using the Autodesk Converter as listed and linked (I think) on the main page of the guides/hints/tips/resources section of this site.

You could also simply run a batch job inside UDK by group importing (psk) and exporting (FBX) and then converting into FBX 2013 - it's certainly a lot faster and there are no issues with smoothing, like you get with Blender.
    You saved my life. Almost got cancer from using Blender. Also Blender did not allow me to import psk despite add-on being enabled.

@XTXP
    Please add info about UDK->FBX Converter trick to the first post. Save people from using Blender.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This post is all about UT3 and the current DEV build of UT4 Converter: UT4-Converter-0.8-DEV-25102015.

The new texture alignment does appear to work, but the static meshes and the process I have come up with are really an issue which is hard to resolve. Let me explain.

As it stands the SM's generated in \UnrealTournamentconvertor\UT4-Converter-0.8-DEV-25102015\Converted\MAP NAME\StaticMesh are a list of junk files.

The issue with them is they are not allowing themselves to be converted into FBX files without some angular, scaling and 'non-smoothed' nature to them.

The best files are the PSKX files (contained in the [temp] folder) and the method I have come up with is essentially this:

Change the file suffix to PSK
    Import into UDK
    Bulk export the PSK files into a new folder (thus creating a new FBX file)
    Convert the new FBX files with Autodesk FBX converter to 2013 to avoid issues when...
    Import the new FBX files to UT4

This gives me a clean FBX file with none of the issues. *

-

Another issue I found is the windows text string length and text file used for the importing of the map, as indicated above by me, this is too long and the example I gave is a very real example.

The text file is something which (by using a simple 'find and replace' system) I have had to alter so that something like:

Begin Polygon Item=Side Texture=/Game/Developers/Mitch/MAPNAME/T_HU_Walls_BSP_BrickA01_blue_D_Mat.T_HU_Walls_BSP_BrickA01_blue_D_Mat Link=3

is changed to:

Begin Polygon Item=Side Texture=/Game/content/BrickA01_blue_D_Mat Link=3

This is also applied to every asset using simple find and replace, or bulk renaming of the file strings to minimise the text string.

What is also noticeable in the text file is the naming of the Static Meshes, as changing these names also means the map can be built with the correct references named in the text file.

I saw no issues with this an managed to have a map build itself quite convincingly, once the text file had been altered and the correct assets assigned and imported.

-

By thoughts on this are...

Newer versions of the tool for UT3 maps need to have;

A way of using bulk exporting and conversion with UDK/Autodesk or otherwise, to facilitate better FBX meshes.
    A way of using the text file to generate better nomenclature
    A way of having a central folder which once the map is being imported can reference all assets correctly.
    A way of reducing the file string length, as cooks currently exceed the windows limitation by Microsoft.

PS: I uninstalled Blender as I no longer need to use it.

* Edit, ...and takes practically no time to do whatsoever, and keeps the correct nomenclature for the file.
    Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 01-05-2016, 10:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Loque- View Post
    @Mitch Mitchell

i dont have any option to import a psk. So i searched in user settings in Blender and found psk/psa files were unchecked.
    checked it but it doesnt save or show when importing.
    what to do :/
    Use UDK instead!

I believe the problem is in the directory of Blender itself, with regards to permissions or something like that - there is some talk about it on Steam forums I recall reading in the past.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @Mitch Mitchell

i dont have any option to import a psk. So i searched in user settings in Blender and found psk/psa files were unchecked.
    checked it but it doesnt save or show when importing.
    what to do :/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So I have converted a UT2K4 map, it had a lot of .psk files in StaticMesh folder.
    I cant find anywhere here what to do now with them.

I have installed Blender + updated the file in Addons.

Is there somewhere a step-by-step tutorial what to do next?
    open blender
    click 'import psk'
    click 'export FBX'
    rinse and repeat.

Any issue with the FBX file, then convert the FBX file into 'FBX 2013' using the Autodesk Converter as listed and linked (I think) on the main page of the guides/hints/tips/resources section of this site.

You could also simply run a batch job inside UDK by group importing (psk) and exporting (FBX) and then converting into FBX 2013 - it's certainly a lot faster and there are no issues with smoothing, like you get with Blender.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So I have converted a UT2K4 map, it had a lot of .psk files in StaticMesh folder.
    I cant find anywhere here what to do now with them.

I have installed Blender + updated the file in Addons.

Is there somewhere a step-by-step tutorial what to do next?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Krokussify View Post
    not hating, but what's the purpose of this tool? making UT4 maps to look like UE1 ones? Wasn't Epic kind enough when they updated UnrealEd?
    Preservation.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    not hating, but what's the purpose of this tool? making UT4 maps to look like UE1 ones? Wasn't Epic kind enough when they updated UnrealEd?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey,

you know what I can do to get rid of weird blocking volumes in UT3 ports?
    It is a collision issue with staticmeshes, but for some areas I have no idea at all with what staticmesh the collision is.
    Is there any way to quickly find out? Do you know?

It's a lot trial and error at the moment, taking hours, and can't solve

Or should I just stop trying UT3 ports at the moment?
    Probably stating the obvious here, but player collisions in the view-port will normally let you know where a collision is and what it is. which map is btw? if you wanna pm me I can take a look from there and get back to you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X