UT4 Converter - 0.9.1 - [25/08/2018]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by time_collapse
    But I need to reinitialise all material manually, to create materials from select all texture and right click create material will produce a material for each texture. A diffuse and a normal map from a unique material will produce 2 materials. I need to fix this manually.
    For static meshes, the materials needs to be reassign also manually.
    It's all about the t3d file.

From my perspective, this file (as I mentioned a few pages back) is the thing you have to do a series of "find and replace" to clean it up and get the engine to interpolate the nomenclature. I hit the same walls as you are hitting now, and just put a pot of coffee on and ran an entire find and replace for the materials, sound, meshes etc.

The t3d file is really there to draw the Geometry and put all 'actors' in the correct position, the conversion prior to that is to extract this info from an existing package/map.

So - what you could do is create completely brand new materials (recommended) and once you have the material inside your content browser, copy the reference and run a bulk find and replace in a text editor for the t3d file.

The materials will never, ever be 'perfect' as you are taking 'cooked' (compressed) files from another non-PBR DX9 game engine and bringing them into a DX11/12 PBR game engine. Once there, UTE4 editor will run its own compression and 'cook' the map.

You are compressing 3 times, and one of those is an different rendering system.

This is just my perspective, but yes, I would personally recreate all of the materials and copy the reference(s) into the t3d file. Scroll back and you will see my comments on this with greater clarity.
    Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 08-09-2018, 05:10 AM.
    Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Hi Mitch

Thanx for your advice, I agree creating a UE4 material from scratch will be the right way for high quality textures and materials.

I do not use t3d file but import directly .fbx, .obj or .tga files and than use right click create material in content browser. Main goal is to convert the meshes and than the materials. I do it from UE3 engine packages (not coocked or from UT3). I try to recreate some of the UE 3 mood
      anyway thanx
      best
      Dan
      Last edited by time_collapse; 08-10-2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Hi ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ

Finally did you have planned to complete the UDK support (version 0.9.0) ? Would be great and big helps.
        Thanx in advance
        Best Dan

Comment

I do it from UE3 engine packages (not cooked or from UT3)
          They are still compressed packages in the engine. SCT3 etc. So, when the files (textures) were originally imported into the engine, prior to packing, they were in whatever format they were in with no compression. The second Unreal Engine imports it - it becomes compressed, so the engine can work with it.

The only way to get completely uncompressed textures would be to contact the original publisher and ask them very very nicely for the original files.

^^hence my "compressed 3 times" comment.

Now, if they were vector-based and not pixel-based, this would not be an issue, as vector graphics are infinite resolution.

There is a great paper on this available here from an nvidia scientist.

You can also read the patent details nvidia are putting together here
          Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Hi ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ
            Thanx for your update to handle UDK. It would really help.
            I'll test it asap.
            cheers Dan

Comment

Hi
              I played with last version of UT4-converter 0.9.1 and importing assets and maps in Unreal Engine not in Unreal Tournament UT4.
              Some comments:
              Actual version of UT4 is 4.15 so my first tests shows that using a higher version (4.19 or 4.20) does not allow rebuilding the map using .t3d file, so I'm using 4.15.3 and it works with a need of tweaking as in ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ video about the DM-morbias map.
              When the assets and the map are saved in UDK4 format it is possible to migrate to higher version (done in 4.20.2 using third person template

I've make tests with the DM-deck map. The BSP actors have no texture, and it looks that some texture are missing in the conversion process. I need to reassign manually the textures.

To have acces to a large number of UT3 like textures (used in several maps) I'v make a materials and textures folder from the HU, LT, NEC and UN asset series located in UDK-2015-02\UDKGame\Content\UT3\Environments folder using Gildors umodel. I use the .com files for an automatic handling of the packages (I just removed the delete line), thanx to the authors.
              I would be grateful if someone has some hints about the BSP handling in a conversion process.

TIA
              cheers
              Dan

Comment

Hi
                I played with last version of UT4-converter 0.9.1 and importing assets and maps in Unreal Engine not in Unreal Tournament UT4.
                Some comments:
                Actual version of UT4 is 4.15 so my first tests shows that using a higher version (4.19 or 4.20) does not allow rebuilding the map using .t3d file, so I'm using 4.15.3 and it works with a need of tweaking as in ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ video about the DM-morbias map.
                When the assets and the map are saved in UDK4 format it is possible to migrate to higher version (done in 4.20.2 using third person template

I've make tests with the DM-deck map. The BSP actors have no texture, and it looks that some texture are missing in the conversion process. I need to reassign manually the textures.

To have acces to a large number of UT3 like textures (used in several maps) I'v make a materials and textures folder from the HU, LT, NEC and UN asset series located in UDK-2015-02\UDKGame\Content\UT3\Environments folder using Gildors umodel. I use the .com files for an automatic handling of the packages (I just removed the delete line), thanx to the authors.
                I would be grateful if someone has some hints about the BSP handling in a conversion process.

TIA
                cheers
                Dan
                As I have said a few times - it's all about the text file.

If it doesn't match, it won't work - you need to do a find and replace for the materials and the meshes, otherwise: snake-eyes.
                Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Hi Mitch

I've tried editing .t3d to change location folder as exemple:
                  I've conterted Deck from UT3 to UT4. Everythings in .t3d points to \UnrealTournamentEditor\UnrealTournament\Content\RestrictedAssets\Maps\WIP\DM-deck-UT3 as shown in an extracted polygon sequence below

Begin Polygon Item=Side
                  Texture=/Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/WIP/DM-Deck-UT3/LT_Buildings2_BSP_Materials_T_LT_Buildings_BSP_BunkerWall1_D_Mat.LT_Buildings2_BSP_Materials_T_LT_Buildings_BSP_BunkerWall1_D_Mat LightMapScale=64.0 Link=0
                  End Polygon

I move to UDK4 and I import all textured, meshes and sounds in a \UT3_to_UT4_415\Content\DM-Deck-UT3 folder

In the .t3d file I change all

"/Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/WIP/DM-Deck-UT3/"
                  to
                  "/Game/Content/DM-Deck-UT3/"

and in both cases textures on BSP brushes are missing (but not on meshes)

I suppose that "Game" means "project-name/content/"

ADDED:
                  Done some other test:
                  Conversion of Deck from UT3 to UDK4 as described in ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ's video tutorial with same folder location (restrictedAssets\...)

Some files are not present in the copy-paste .t3d file
                  ex: HU_Deco3.SM.Materials.M_HU_Deco_SM_StorageTanks_a

Some are present but not converted
                  M_LT_Floors_BSP_Grate_Pipes file is shown in .t3d file
                  Begin Polygon Texture=LT_Floors.BSP.Materials.M_LT_Floors_BSP_Grate_Pipes Flags=3584 Link=4
                  but only converted as .mat file, no .tga file in extraction texture folder so not imported in UDK4
                  repalced by LT_Bridge_SM_Materials_T_LT_Bridge_SM_engine_D_mat
                  The UV for the Doors in the pics below have UV issues.

Here find 2 pics to illustrate
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture-1_udk4.PNG Views:	2 Size:	571.3 KB ID:	402505 UDK4
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture-1_udk3.PNG Views:	1 Size:	601.5 KB ID:	402504 UDK3

Getting Deck from UT3 or UDK3 have same issues

Hope this can help someone

Anyway thanx to ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ, it's a great advances to have the UT4-converter programm, great job fine tuning can be done manually to use UE4 features

regards
                  Daniel

PS: Before the additin, I've done a lot of tests with different UT3 maps, different conversion parameters, may be I've make some confuse operations
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by time_collapse; 09-10-2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

In the .t3d file I change all

"/Game/RestrictedAssets/Maps/WIP/DM-Deck-UT3/"
                    to
                    "/Game/Content/DM-Deck-UT3/"

and in both cases textures on BSP brushes are missing (but not on meshes)

I suppose that "Game" means "project-name/content/"
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	utc9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	402565

What you need to do is this:

Every MATERIAL, STATIC MESH, AUDIO COMPONENT, needs to have the reference COPIED from the UT4 Editor and then REPLACED in the T3D file generated by the convertor.

So, in sequence:

1) RUN THE CONVERSION
                    2) IMPORT ALL OF YOUR ASSETS IN THE CORRECT SEQUENCE (STATIC MESHES LAST) IF ANY MATERIALS ARE MISSING, OR, IF STATIC MESHES ARE WHITE, YOU WILL NEED TO CREATE A NEW MATERIAL WITH A NEW REFERENCE
                    3) RUN A FIND AND REPLACE FOR ALL OF THE ASSETS (MATERIALS, MESHES, AUDIO COMPONENTS) IN THE CONVERTED T3D FILE BY COPYING THE REFERENCE LOCATION IN THE EDITOR AS ILLUSTRATED ABOVE AND REPLACING EVERY INSTANCE IN THE T3D FILE.
                    4) IMPORT THE FILE
                    5) BUILD GEOMETRY
                    6) DRINK BEER

As you will note and see, I use notepad++, but that is not necessary, just a personal preference, like smooth-tasting Miller Draft.

Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Hi Mitch
                      Thanx to take time for the advice and the kind explanation
                      I'll do this quietly this WE.
                      I think I had moved forward to step 6 to fast....
                      cheers
                      Dan
                      I use also notepad++ it's more like a Guiness for me

Comment

Hi everybody
                        Just some results from the Deck conversion and some issues.
                        1 post: Overall conversion look
                        A lot of work on the materials (as suggested by Mitch)
                        Overall mood nedd a strong modification (light building is highly time consuming)

best
                        Dan
                        Last edited by time_collapse; 10-18-2018, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Hi again
                          2nd post
                          exemple of materials mainly inspired from thye original ones
                          The grate parallax was restored, animated blob and techcylinder also restored
                          best Dan

Comment

Hi again
                            3rd post UV issue

When using the .obj files from UT-converter, it was necessary to add a CoordTexture node on all TextureSample nodes with U = 1 and V = -1.
                            Could not be solved yet (from me) using 3D application like blender using axis mapping of the fbx exporter.

Converting .pskx files from direct umodel extraction, the fbx converter will produce the right UV mapping.

see you Dan

Comment

Hi again

4th Post Smoothing issues

For a nice mesh rendering, there is a need to smooth the meshes through fbx export (only way I tested).
                              Unfortunately, Blender as well as the free Autodesk fbx converter does not allow "smooth groups". The only way to have the smoothing was to use 3DSmax.

Updated: nov2018:
                              Possible to export smooth groups with blender:
                              Cheers Dan
                              Last edited by time_collapse; 11-04-2018, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Interesting tool,but why it was discontinued?

Comment

Working...
                                X