Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by XTXP View Post
    Thank you! I'll give it a try to compare what's being converted vs the 'blender / ut4 converter' process.
    Found this:

https://github.com/nikhil922/Blender...atch_export.py

Looks like a bulk/batch exporter...have fun.

I also found this:

https://github.com/Speedy37/UDKImportPlugin

As some maps made their DX11 way to UDK from UT3, this is very interesting. If I'm reading this right, I think you would have to migrate the content from UE4 to UET4 - but looks as if it cuts down a lot of trees on the way...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
    I'm talking:

1) Run conversion.
    2) Bulk import Static meshes into UDK (minus materials, don't need them anyway).
    3) Bulk export static meshes from UDK into FBX (no materials, don't need them anyway).
    4) Bulk import/convert FBX files to conform with UE4 using Autodesk (2013?).
    5) Miller time.

However, as mentioned back in this thread (last year?) I said that once you have done this, there are 5 things which need to be done:

1) Bulk rename all files to reduce file string length. So, all the static mesh and texture files.
    2) Import all files into UTE4, and place a low-string folder. So, not 'content/blah/blah/blah/blah/map/restricted assets/map/wip' but something like 'content/dev/my name'.
    3) Open the converted map file in a text editor to run a series of find'n'replace commands, which essentially overwrites all of the asset nomenclature. Remember! You have altered the filenames/strings in step#1. So this must be done correctly, but thankfully does not take long to do, when using something like notepad++!. What I will say is it takes considerably less time than using Blender to give you static meshes Additionally, all of the files names are now super-short, so UTE4 will not curl up and die when compiling.
    4) Import the map file as normal.
    5) Miller time.

I wouldn't recommend it, but if you have enough RAM and have a large enough swap file, you can cut'n'paste an entire map from UTE3 into UDK (DX9 only) and then bulk export the entire level in OBJ format...but it takes an incredibly long time to complete (it does work) and then import it into UTE4.
    Thank you! I'll give it a try to compare what's being converted vs the 'blender / ut4 converter' process.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Does the UDK process to export staticmeshes as fbx keeps the textures as well?

As for blender, staticmesh conversion can be a bit procrastinating.
    I'm talking:

1) Run conversion.
    2) Bulk import Static meshes into UDK (minus materials, don't need them anyway).
    3) Bulk export static meshes from UDK into FBX (no materials, don't need them anyway).
    4) Bulk import/convert FBX files to conform with UE4 using Autodesk (2013?).
    5) Miller time.

However, as mentioned back in this thread (last year?) I said that once you have done this, there are 5 things which need to be done:

1) Bulk rename all files to reduce file string length. So, all the static mesh and texture files.
    2) Import all files into UTE4, and place a low-string folder. So, not 'content/blah/blah/blah/blah/map/restricted assets/map/wip' but something like 'content/dev/my name'.
    3) Open the converted map file in a text editor to run a series of find'n'replace commands, which essentially overwrites all of the asset nomenclature. Remember! You have altered the filenames/strings in step#1. So this must be done correctly, but thankfully does not take long to do, when using something like notepad++!. What I will say is it takes considerably less time than using Blender to give you static meshes Additionally, all of the files names are now super-short, so UTE4 will not curl up and die when compiling.
    4) Import the map file as normal.
    5) Miller time.

I wouldn't recommend it, but if you have enough RAM and have a large enough swap file, you can cut'n'paste an entire map from UTE3 into UDK (DX9 only) and then bulk export the entire level in OBJ format...but it takes an incredibly long time to complete (it does work) and then import it into UTE4.

It is exceptionally inefficient to do this, and doesn't like normal maps...but it's hard to ignore as it does export everything, and I do mean everything...but there are massive drawbacks.

You have been warned!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
    Just chiming in here with thanks.

Adding, I still believe 'official' UT3 maps are best (and fastest) converted when bypassing 'the blender process' and using UDK, a text editor, Autodesk FBX convertor, and a filestring bulk batch convertor.
    This is, of course, after using UT4 convertor to squirt out the files.

Getting static meshes out of UT3 is a silent killer and UDK bulk exports in seconds.

I would put a video tutorial together, but my voice...horrid I have, however, spoken about this earlier in the thread.
    Does the UDK process to export staticmeshes as fbx keeps the textures as well?

As for blender, staticmesh conversion can be a bit procrastinating.

There might be a way to make a python batch script file, running with Blender,
    that would batch convert staticmeshes at once. However i did not figured out to do that yet since i can't find the right python function
    that is importing.

Some convert.py python script file executed withing blender (using "Text editor" perpective) but not working yet.
    (adapted from http://blender.stackexchange.com/que...n-file-formats)

CONVERT_DIR = "c:\pskstaticmeshes"

import os

def file_iter(path, ext):
    for dirpath, dirnames, filenames in os.walk(path):
    for filename in filenames:
    ext = os.path.splitext(filename)[1]
    if ext.lower().endswith(ext):
    yield os.path.join(dirpath, filename)

import bpy

def reset_blend():
    bpy.ops.wm.read_factory_settings()

for scene in bpy.data.scenes:
    for obj in scene.objects:
    scene.objects.unlink(obj)

# only worry about data in the startup scene
    for bpy_data_iter in (
    bpy.data.objects,
    bpy.data.meshes,
    bpy.data.lamps,
    bpy.data.cameras,
    ):
    for id_data in bpy_data_iter:
    bpy_data_iter.remove(id_data)

def convert_recursive(base_path):
    for filepath_src in file_iter(base_path, ".psk"):
    filepath_dst = os.path.splitext(filepath_src)[0] + ".fbx"

print("Converting %r -> %r" % (filepath_src, filepath_dst))

reset_blend()
    # PSK import
    bpy.ops.import_scene.psk(filepath=filepath_src) # does not work need the right function !!!

# FBX export
    bpy.ops.export_scene.fbx(filepath=filepath_dst)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    convert_recursive(CONVERT_DIR)
    I'm trying to find the right function called within python conversion file io_import_scene_unreal_psa_psk.py
    from https://github.com/Befzz/blender3d_i...ive/master.zip blender addon file.
    if someone here is a python master any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ; 11-23-2016, 04:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just chiming in here with thanks.

Adding, I still believe 'official' UT3 maps are best (and fastest) converted when bypassing 'the blender process' and using UDK, a text editor, Autodesk FBX convertor, and a filestring bulk batch convertor.
    This is, of course, after using UT4 convertor to squirt out the files.

Getting static meshes out of UT3 is a silent killer and UDK bulk exports in seconds.

I would put a video tutorial together, but my voice...horrid I have, however, spoken about this earlier in the thread.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Amazing work XTXP, very very thanks !!!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great work on the converter and sweet tutorial! Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've just made a full video tutorial without cuts for converting UT3 maps to UT4 from the very beginning (configuring/installing needed softwares)
    to map resources conversion (such as staticmeshes) up to advanced conversion trick/bug fixes when map is imported into UT4 editor.
    My english is not very good in the video but you will probably understand how the job is done just looking at the video.
    Converted map as demo conversion is DM-Morbias.
    Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    New 0.8 version: UT2004 partial terrain conversion and many improvements/fixes for ut3

- 0.8.1 - 13/11/2016
    * ut2003/4, ut3: fixed some staticmeshes with long material names could not be converted
    * ut3: fixed sniper weapon with weaponpickupfactory not converting properly
    * ut3: fixed UTSlimeVolume, UTLavalVolume not converting properly
    * ut3: reverted back sound volume to original, now handling logarithm distance model for sound radius
    * ut3: added support for UTDefensePoint
    * misc: now also logs unconverted actor class name in .log file
    - 0.8.0 - 11/11/2016
    * ut2003/ut2004: now terrain heightmap is imported (texture, decolayers are NOT yet converted)
    * ut3: default scale factor back to 2.2
    * ut3: added staticmeshes overidden material supported
    * ut3: added conversion of DecalActor, UTKillZVolume, CullDistanceVolume, EnforcerAmmo, UTWeaponPickupFactory, HeightFog
    * ut3: sounds are now converted from .ogg to .wav so they can be imported into UT4 editor
    * ut3: fixed some brushes not being properly converted that was causing bsp holes (see part "How to convert map?" -> "for ut3 maps only" section)
    * ut3: fixed some staticmeshes not being correctly located (prepivot support)
    * ut3: fixed many pickups not correctly aligned with floor
    * ut3: fixed SkyLight with no color set
    * ut3: fixed directional lights rendering as spotlights
    * ut3: reduced by 90% default volume of AmbientSounds
    * u1: added support for WeaponPowerup, StringerAmmo
    * ut99/ut2004: added support for conversion of Domination gametype actors.
    * misc: won't stop converting map resources if one fails to convert properly now.
    * misc: conversion processing is now saved in a conversion.log file
    * ui: slightly improved visibility in conversion settings
    Last edited by ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ; 11-13-2016, 07:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MasterPlayerLoRD. View Post
    maps are broken. completely mixed structures

I tried with Sentinel, Penetrated, Deck, Agony3, Intercept, Defiance, Longest Yard, Subterrane
    For mixed structures, UT3 has a complementary step to do when using the converter.
    Since the ut3 batchexport program do not make .t3d original level file where brushes are correctly ordered (which produced mixed structures somehow)
    you have to open UT3 editor, open level, select all elements/actors + copy/paste in a new .t3d file.
    In UT4 converter for conversion you first pick up the .ut3 map file then you have to choose the .t3d file you just created manually (it is used to fix brush ordering which is not messed up
    from that file).
    In UT4 editor using the "*.*" trick as described by Metalfist earlier in this topic for importing the .t3d converted file seems to work better than the copy/paste in editor.
    Note that the conversion of staticmeshes is not automatic and you have to manually convert them one by one from .psk format to .fbx using Blender.

I did a try this morning for deck, it converts pretty well, some textures are missing or not the right ones but looks not so bad:

Attached Files
    Last edited by ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ; 11-05-2016, 07:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Which map you trying to convert? Which problems you having?
    UT3 conversion on UT4 converter is currently very experimental which means a few things are being converted properly for the moment.
    maps are broken. completely mixed structures

I tried with Sentinel, Penetrated, Deck, Agony3, Intercept, Defiance, Longest Yard, Subterrane
    Last edited by Real LoRD.; 11-04-2016, 07:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Solvéd ! Thanks.

I need some tips for convert UT3 maps, 90% are impossible to use
    Which map you trying to convert? Which problems you having?
    UT3 conversion on UT4 converter is currently very experimental which means a few things are being converted properly for the moment.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
    You renamed the .obj file? Obj can be a binary file whereas .t3d is a plain-text only file, specifically UnrealEngine-only file/format. In case you really have a valid T3D, check your log file and look for information about the crash. In most cases, it crashes due to trying to create an object with the same name which already exists. The t3d file must be cleaned up for that case. More info about that on the AnswerHub (e.g. here).
    Solvéd ! Thanks.

I need some tips for convert UT3 maps, 90% are impossible to use
    Last edited by Real LoRD.; 11-01-2016, 03:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When I load the .t3d (previously renamed .obj) the editor crash.
    what can i do to resolve the issue?
    You renamed the .obj file? Obj can be a binary file whereas .t3d is a plain-text only file, specifically UnrealEngine-only file/format. In case you really have a valid T3D, check your log file and look for information about the crash. In most cases, it crashes due to trying to create an object with the same name which already exists. The t3d file must be cleaned up for that case. More info about that on the AnswerHub (e.g. here).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When I load the .t3d (previously renamed .obj) the editor crash.
    what can i do to resolve the issue?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X