• Show
Clear All

Thank you for the update @Winter
    Great to see that you're still working on it

Will check it out soon
    WIP - Maps (UT - Build 0.1.12.1): https://goo.gl/v8ze8Y
    Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/barsam2a

Comment

This is an absolutely fantastic tool. I really appreciate the time you took to create it and maintain it. I've had a lot of fun working with it to get some old maps converted over to Unreal 4. Thanks for your time and dedication!

Comment

Hi first of all thanx for UT4 converter, especially the update generating obj files

It helps a lot in the conversion procedure, its really confortable to use and up to now I had no real issue. Of course there is a need to fine tune the level and adapt it to the new UT4 features. Really a lot of time saving again thanx to ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ.

I'm just asking if there is any possibility to use your UT4 converter to extract .upk packages from UDK ( not UT3) especially for the static meshes extraction to obj files. The actual version of umoel extract static meshes as pskx files and no possibility to use these files.

Thanx in advance for any answers, comments about the use of UT4-converter in the UDK frame or any easy solution to convert pskx files to obj or fbx files.

cheers Dan

PS I can use an older version of umodel, extract to psa or psk files and convert using blender but a "batch" method is available would be better.

Comment

Hi first of all thanx for UT4 converter, especially the update generating obj files

It helps a lot in the conversion procedure, its really comfortable to use and up to now I had no real issue. Of course there is a need to fine tune the level and adapt it to the new UT4 features. Really a lot of time saving again thanx to ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ.

I'm just asking if there is any possibility to use your UT4 converter to extract .upk packages from UDK ( not UT3) especially for the static meshes extraction to obj files. The actual version of umoel extract static meshes as pskx files and no possibility to use these files.

Thanx in advance for any answers, comments about the use of UT4-converter in the UDK frame or any easy solution to convert pskx files to obj or fbx files.

cheers Dan

PS I can use an older version of umodel, extract to psa or psk files and convert using blender but a "batch" method is available would be better.

https://github.com/Speedy37/UDKImportPlugin

*ninjaedit

Use power of two, not base 10
          Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 07-31-2018, 06:54 AM.
          Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Hi Mitch
            Thanx for your answer, I've downloaded the package,
            I was able to make the commandlet in UDK3
            I've created a C++project (3rd person), added the plugin file in a plug in folder and then I was unable to compile the whole stuff, not at startup of the editor and also not using VS 2015 directly on the .sln file.
            I'm not really comfortable with coding and it looks too complicated to me to search why the compiler could not compile the plugin....
            Anyway thanx I'll looking forward to find some other way to reach my goal.
            cheers Dan
            Last edited by time_collapse; 08-11-2018, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burchmeister View Post
              This is an absolutely fantastic tool. I really appreciate the time you took to create it and maintain it. I've had a lot of fun working with it to get some old maps converted over to Unreal 4. Thanks for your time and dedication!
              Thanks a lot! Takes huge amount of time indeed but glad to see some good old maps being converted. (but some overplayed)

Originally posted by time_collapse View Post
              Thank you. Need to improve it (smoothing groups)

I'm just asking if there is any possibility to use your UT4 converter to extract .upk packages from UDK
              Currently no, hence i could add some tool to do it.
              I was thinking maybe about adding UDK support for conversion (very close to UT3 conversion i guess) if there are people interested in.
              I'll give a try.
              The very last version of umodel supports exporting staticmeshes to gltf format which is supported by the latest version for import on unreal engine (4.20 unfortunately/ UT4 has very old engine version now)

Comment

Hi Mitch
                Thanx for your answer, I've downloaded the package,
                I was able to make the commandlet in UDK3
                I've created a C++project (3rd person), added the plugin file in a plug in folder and then I was unable to compile the whole stuff, not at startup of the editor and also not using VS 2015 directly on the .sln file.
                I'm not really comfortable with coding and it looks too complicated to me to search why the compiler could not compile the plugin....
                Anyway thanx I'll looking forward to find some other way to reach my goal.
                cheers Dan
                It was meant for the main Unreal Engine, not which/whatever version Unreal Tournament Editor runs on - it just is a way of moving/migrating content across...you could of course update the build of the listed plugin for this particular engine/editor version...

That said, if you want to look in the current build of Unreal Tournament Editor, there are some of the models for the vehicles already in there imported by Epic Games. If you are looking for a way to export from UDK directly, or any other Unreal Engine format:

http://www.gildor.org/en/projects/umodel

From here you can bring this into 3D Max using this:

http://www.gildor.org/projects/unactorx

And there are additional stuff here:

https://api.unrealengine.com/udk/Two/ActorX.html

One of the really good things about 3D Max is there are many plugins for parsing and even level editing, moving from 3D Max to the Valve Source engine, like:

http://dev.wallworm.com/topic/2/wall...del_tools.html

You can of course bring PSK/PSKX models exported from UTConvertor directly into UDK as a package and then export the FBX (bunches of ten is best), should any models be absent from the build/conversion you are attempting to complete...I listed this process a few pages back for UTConvertor=>UDK=>Notepad=>UTE4 and I haven't run a conversion recently, but may have to have another at this to see if the process holds up...

Essentially, when doing a conversion, the net result is the *.txt file that gets squirted out at the end and what it looks up inside of the UTE4 folders to setup/build the converted map with - and this is really the crux of the conversion, as without a fully referenced and listed series of assets inside the UTE4 editor, the look-up data table will not build anything.

If all you want to do is just convert UPK models/meshes, that is a fairly simple thing to do, yet there are always going to be issues from a legal standpoint, yet, I would think the best thing do would be to use the 4.20 variant of UE4, rather than UTE4.

But - I'll say it again, use power of 2, not base 10.
                Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Hi Mitch, ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ

Thanx for all yout infos and support to my problem, I'll try to go more inside UDK 3 and unreal engine 4 (I usually do not use unreal tournament 4). I'll post further progress.
                  all the best
                  cheers Dan.

Comment

Hi again
                    I've another issue, using UDK 2015-01 i cannot export static meshes as FBX using the right click "export to file", I got a "No source data available for some objects." pop up... any idea ?
                    TIA
                    cheers Dan

Comment

I've another issue, using UDK 2015-01 i cannot export static meshes as FBX using the right click "export to file", I got a "No source data available for some objects." pop up... any idea ?
                      No idea.
                      Btw i'm working on UDK support for converting UDK maps to UT4 in next version.
                      I'm also thinking about adding some feature to help converting a package (not a map) to UT4.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UT4Converter090.png
Views:	104
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	401725
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by [B
                        ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ[/B]]No idea.
                        Btw I'm working on UDK support for converting UDK maps to UT4 in next version.
                        I'm also thinking about adding some feature to help converting a package (not a map) to UT4.
                        That code...that could make you some serious cash on the UE4 marketplace.

The import/export/parse loops that have been attempted in the past by others have been very useful, but to convert entire packages, man...that would be Epic.

I am really thinking of games companies out there who, have released games using UDK/UE3 and own the IP - they are the ones who (for little effort) could update the packages to UE4...I don't even know how many games that encompasses...200?...300?...they could drop it on Steam (or w/e) for $10, add workshop (or Epic Dev tools), encrypt it and boom...it's Miller-Time.

It is one of the things I am partially shocked that Epic Games did not consider out of the gate with UE4.

If I owned any IP from UDK, was a publisher, I'd drop you $500-$1,500 (pretty much a few days consultancy work) for a plugin/tool/code for something that otherwise would cost me $2-3m to operate.

Something worth thinking about...
                        Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 08-02-2018, 04:30 AM. Reason: miller time
                        Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Hi ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ
                          Would be really great the port to UDK...
                          Thanx for your support and time spending
                          Best to you
                          Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
                            The import/export/parse loops that have been attempted in the past by others have been very useful, but to convert entire packages, man...that would be Epic.
                            Well it's not a "real" conversion, i mean it won't convert all the stuff inside package. It will be like map conversion.
                            I just plan being able to export and import all staticmeshes from a single package within UT4 editor.
                            I haven't coded yet a program to read/write Unreal Engine 1/2/3/4 packages. I've started a bit on it (https://github.com/xtremexp/UnrealPackageReader)
                            for being able to convert custom Unreal 1/ UT99 textures (which is not handled by Converter for the moment)
                            in some future and maybe shaders but that's a huge work to be done compared with umodel
                            which is by far the the most advanced Unreal Engine package reader and extractor.

Comment

Originally posted by [B
                              ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ[/B]]Well it's not a "real" conversion, i mean it won't convert all the stuff inside package
                              Oh, I appreciate that completely, but the current process(es) require extensive parsing and conversion to 'unpackage' and then import.

Epic Games have made great strides with the Unreal Studio Dev tools, like datasmith. This is really quite excellent of them as it allows for IP owners to perform exporting from 3D Max directly into UE4 and even Sketchup Pro - however there are more asterixes than a prenuptial agreement . Also there is the issue of the old packages, and a developer not having the original models and textures. It does (amazingly) import materials to UE4...which is just stunning to see.

Kismet (as it is essentially scripting) should have some way of parsing to UE4, even in an 'If This Then That' simplistic conversion to a blueprint.

For those who do not know about Unreal Studio and the tool set, there is a list here:

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/s...asmithOverview

Oh - and another point which almost seems ridiculous, yet not really discussed that much, is V-Ray integration - which is also excellent:

https://www.chaosgroup.com/vray/unreal

Combine vray with datasmith and the only thing that is missing (on topic) is a tool to push<=>pull from packages in UDK.

It wouldn't just cut down tress...it would disseminate entire forests with the r-click of a mouse.
                              Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 08-04-2018, 06:10 AM.
                              Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Hi Mtch, ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ

Finally I tried umodel (last version) batch export command file, works as expected, very well.
                                Then I use ActorX import PlugIn on 3DSmax (last version) and FBX export, also works fine for importing geometry.
                                Thanx to Gildor for his developpments.

But I need to reinitialise all material manually, to create materials from select all texture and right click create material will produce a material for each texture. A diffuse and a normal map from a unique material will produce 2 materials. I need to fix this manually.
                                For static meshes, the materials needs to be reassign also manually.
                                Not yey worked on skeletal meshes and animations may be are also some issues.
                                If this procedure works, it takes a lot of time to convert big packages, so i'll be very happy for the porting of UT4 converter to UDK packages (thanx in advance to ШιητεЯΙsСσmιηɡ if this will happens
                                all the best

cheers Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X