Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best way to build a wall around curved stairs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is the best way to build a wall around curved stairs?

i seem to struggle with this. i tried to subtract cylinder and add curved stairs on top of that, but the shape always seems to be a little off. also how do you properly delete half of an object? i tried to split a cylinder in geometry mode, then marquee select half of the vertices(?), and delete. but i get this weird effect where you can see through from one side.
    mucho thanks in advance.
    PLEASE CHECK MY DUEL MAP >> DM-Central <<

Mmmm its a tricky subject with BSP. Boolean operations are a little wonky, so things you could solve in UE3 arent as easily dealt with in UE4.

You can try this: Make sure the inner radius of the circle comprising those curved stairs is a number that snaps to the grid. Then maybe make a cylinder with the same radius, and bump up the number of sides so it fits cleanly, use the clip tool or subtractive brushes to remove the excess cylinder you dont need.

Inner stair radius is 200 - which is the same as the cylinder radius. The cylinder has like 18 sides so its smooth (probably not good performancewise)

To get outer walls create a cylinder with an equivalent radius to the outer radius of the stairs and a second slightly larger cylinder. Line them up with the stairs, and subtract that first cylinder from the larger one.

Convert that BSP to meshes if it causes performance issues - uv that mesh in max and reimport.

you can also use the pen tool to sketch out a shape that conforms to the curve of your stairs...but that can be messy too.

Might I suggest you use a mixed approach. I like to block out with BSP, but for stairs and doorways, i like to use the prototyping meshes the dev team has made. The Liandri Outpost 23 modular meshes have some great floor pieces/ramps that function just like stairs, and fit together cleanly. Also they have some Blueprints that allow you to spline a wall mesh so that it conforms to a curve.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Boogerbreath; 07-03-2015, 07:10 PM.

BOOGERBREATH
    UT Modder, Gears Modder
    Folio: http://designabacination.prosite.com/

Comment

The blueprint spline caught my eye, How does this blue print work and where may I find it?

Curious now, gives me some ideas.

Comment

The key is to not use the additive BSP to create the central cylinder, you can simply Cut away this shape using the subtractive version of your stair case, the result is perfect.
        the problem trying the other method is simple, your polygons will never match up using that method, small gaps and intrusions will occur.

Instructions:

• create a large cube
        • Create your stairs in additive
        • copy paste additive
        • Turn the copy into Subtractive
        • Extrude Down or Up etc
        • Weld verts together like i have in the top of the subtractive.
        • turn all this into a static mesh, throw it in 3DSmax, Retopolgise i, unwrap it, get it in mudbox, make a highpoly and render to texture, bake it to low poly, make your UV lightmaps and Boom your done!

oh wait you can't do the last part because the first step, make BSP, is broken lol

Download my example (if it helps): https://www.dropbox.com/s/znlt33s042...tairs.rar?dl=0

Examples:

Final Result:

If you put the Stairs inside an Additive Cube - you do not need the core shape of the cylinders (as you can see they have been moved aside) The additive cube must encompass these:

Here you see i have placed 2 Small Additive rings, both short on the z axis, not made a whole cylinder like suggested by others. this is done just to break up the textures

[images are large only for you to see, i will replace with 50% IMG size after you have solved your issue]

Does this help or am i tired and not reading properly? i hope it helps
        Attached Files
        Last edited by TKBS; 07-03-2015, 10:09 PM.
        Internet BlackOut in <2 weeks,last chance to request 4 years of Unreal Development(something from every Unreal Engine 50+ maps, chars, weapons, mods, mutators and more).

Comment

The pen tool could really use a rotate option, that's the one thing I can think of that the old 2D shape editor was good for and the pen tool doesn't do. The old 2D shape editor excelled at creating curved staircases, complete with walls, roofs and all.

Edit: Actually the lathe tool is supposed to do that. I just haven't been able to get it to work yet... Either it doesn't work, or I can't figure it out. Maybe it's time to give it another try.
          Last edited by MoxNix; 07-03-2015, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo101 View Post
            The blueprint spline caught my eye, How does this blue print work and where may I find it?

Curious now, gives me some ideas.
            If you open up DM-Outpost23 a lot of the curved pipes are spline meshes. Messing around with them will give you an idea how splines work.

Comment

thanks a lot guys! i was actually thinking of something similar as TKBS suggested. i just though that it's kinda messy hack - those stairs are fairly "complex" after all. but i guess it will work for prototyping anyway.
              btw using cylinder for inner wall works well, it was the outer wall i was struggling with.

Comment

hmm... there might be something wrong with the way i am extruding but it creates weird artifacts when i try to subtract.

Attached Files
                Last edited by shdw; 07-04-2015, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shdw View Post
                  hmm... there might be something wrong with the way i am extruding but it crates weird artifacts when i try to subtract.
                  I avoid using the stair builders like the plague (especially the spiral one) because they so often lead to a BSP error hell.

The simplest thing might be to make it in the editor for 2k4 with the 2D shape tool and export/import to UT4. That's what I'd do since the UT4 lathe tool doesn't seem to work properly and I don't have the skills with a 3D modelling package to do it that way either.

Something like the stairs in DM-Goose for 2k4 which were made with the 2D shape editor. Stairs, walls, roof, trim all made with rotated brushes and it looks good.

Of course that's assuming you have 2k4.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by MoxNix; 07-04-2015, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoxNix View Post
                    I avoid using the stair builders like the plague (especially the spiral one) because they so often lead to a BSP error hell.

The simplest thing might be to make it in the editor for 2k4 with the 2D shape tool and export/import to UT4. That's what I'd do since the UT4 lathe tool doesn't seem to work properly and I don't have the skills with a 3D modelling package to do it that way either.

Something like the stairs in DM-Goose for 2k4 which were made with the 2D shape editor. Stairs, walls, roof, trim all made with rotated brushes and it looks good.

Of course that's assuming you have 2k4.
                    **** good idea that I've considered myself. But it would be so much better if they implemented a 2d shape editor into UE4.

Comment

there are some simple ways to do these things using a combination of pen, lathe. the shape in that last picture can be easily created using those tools. the pen tool is essentially the same as the 2d shape editor by unchecking the auto extrude and create convex polygons while selecting the create brush shape. ctrl+right click to create the verts of your shape and end it by ctrl right clicking the first vert again. once you have done that set the pivot to the point you want to rotate the shape around using alt+middle mouse and saving the pivot to prepivot. after this select the lathe tool and set you rotation parameters (keep in mind that the late tool doesn't like 180 degree things so your usually best of using only 90 degrees and copying it). select the viewport you want it to rotate in and hit apply. it often also flips your geo's normals so just select the entire brush without verts selected and hit the flip button.

using this method its quite easy to create that shape.

made this in just a few minutes using the described technique

Attached Files
                      Last edited by CaSCaDe; 07-09-2015, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaSCaDe View Post
                        keep in mind that the late tool doesn't like 180 degree things so your usually best of using only 90 degrees and copying it
                        Interesting... When I tried to use Lathe I tried it with 90 and 180 rotations, i did set the pivot but didn't save to pre-pivot. It didn't work very well at all. I'll have to try a 90 with saving to pre-pivot now.

Nope, it still doesn't work for me. All it does is make a cylinder regardless what shape I try to rotate. I tried rotating just a square shape and a more complex shape, multiple times for each, using 4 of 16 total segments (1/4 or 90 degree rotation). I tried rotation in all 3 viewports. I tried with auto extrude and create convex both on and off. No matter what I do all I get is an error message with something about an "invalid brush" and a new 8 sided cylinder appears centered on the pivot.

This is in the latest launcher version of the UT editor, not the UE editor.
                        Last edited by MoxNix; 07-09-2015, 10:40 PM.

Comment

ok, tried it in a new map with nothing in it and I finally got Lathe to rotate a square properly... sort of... It only worked in one of the 3 viewports though, the other 2 views just made a cube (not an 8 sided cylinder like before).

Weird stuff, but it seems maybe it does work... Sort of... Sometimes. But if it's consistent about it, I can work with that.
                          Last edited by MoxNix; 07-09-2015, 11:03 PM.

Comment

you usually want the top down view-port to rotate, i use this technique quite a lot and it almost never fails. something else to note is that its usually best to move your shape away from the rest of your geometry since that seems to screw up the rotation and give the error message about the invalid brush.

below is an example of it being used extensively in a room

Comment

Working...
                            X