[Request] Map makers please upload to Rushbase to help server admins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Request] Map makers please upload to Rushbase to help server admins

I know some mappers are putting their maps on Rushbase (ut.rushbase.net) but it would be very helpful to server admins if ALL mappers put their latest version on Rushbase (good global cloud coverage (CDN) - wide acceptance as community redirect).

This allows admins to download the map to their servers and get a trusted redirect URL at the same time. Otherwise I have to upload my own copy to Rushbase. It's quite tedious putting custom maps on servers with all of the different versions, pathing issues and now the MD5 checksum etc. so anything that can simplify that would be appreciated.
    Last edited by MΛuL; 07-04-2015, 06:30 PM.

• replied
    Originally posted by M^uL View Post
    They are using Cloudflare.
    Ah, that explains a lot Thanks for the info...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by g42q7fw67 View Post
    Who's behind this rushbase thingy? I'm wondering what CDNs they are using, if any at all. It's always really really slow over here in Sauerkraut County, I get like 60 kbp/s, so some maps take 2+ hours to download
    They are using Cloudflare.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by g42q7fw67 View Post
    Who's behind this rushbase thingy? I'm wondering what CDNs they are using, if any at all. It's always really really slow over here in Sauerkraut County, I get like 60 kbp/s, so some maps take 2+ hours to download
    Raxxy is one behind rushbase.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TKBS View Post
    just an idea but why doesn't some Edit moderator or User modify this thread:
    https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...2-UT4-Map-list
    - or stick the info somewhere appropriately to include information about rushbase. Im not coming from any view or perspective here, but i'm going to throw this out there

"how easy is it for a new user to discover a forum, discover UT, create a map, and find/ be aware of the rushbase service"

Google results= (not helpful for new users)

^^ keep in mind my ISP and Locale will effect the search
    A sticky might help

Looks like a problem with forum communication and the Rushbase service itself, not a problem for the map Authors to solve. Rushbase sounds like a cool service, i was aware of it from the start, but im an active member, it just needs a few months and better advertisement in the forums, probably in the Level design section, and maybe in the initial download section of the Engine/ Editor. or in the launcher

Im not poking holes, im offering a view that may improve the end result. Great that you are doing the same
    The challenge really is that this whole thing is a moving target since it's still early days. A perfect example of that is maps needing to be recooked for 4.8. I had to take a bunch of maps off my server since they weren't recooked for 4.8 then I have to weed through the forums or watch the thread above for updates.

Another issue in the current build is that you can't host an instance on a custom map if you don't have the map installed even if it's installed on the server so it's hard to test my redirect URL by myself. I have no doubt it will get better but right now it's making it tough to get community WIP maps online which is where they need to be tested.

It is definitely NOT a problem that map makers need to solve. While we're waiting for a more automated method of getting custom content online, map makers can make it easier for admins to get their maps online with a couple of extra steps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    just an idea but why doesn't some Edit moderator or User modify this thread:
    https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...2-UT4-Map-list
    - or stick the info somewhere appropriately to include information about rushbase. Im not coming from any view or perspective here, but i'm going to throw this out there

"how easy is it for a new user to discover a forum, discover UT, create a map, and find/ be aware of the rushbase service"

Google results= (not helpful for new users)

^^ keep in mind my ISP and Locale will effect the search
    A sticky might help

Looks like a problem with forum communication and the Rushbase service itself, not a problem for the map Authors to solve. Rushbase sounds like a cool service, i was aware of it from the start, but im an active member, it just needs a few months and better advertisement in the forums, probably in the Level design section, and maybe in the initial download section of the Engine/ Editor. or in the launcher

Im not poking holes, im offering a view that may improve the end result. Great that you are doing the same
    Last edited by TKBS; 07-05-2015, 02:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If mappers really want to make it super easy for an admin to install their map, providing the full "RedirectReferences" info like below so it can just be cut/pasted would be sweet.

RedirectReferences=(MapName="/Game/Maps/DM-Erase/DM-Erase_V25_Fixed", MapURLProtocol="https", MapURL="ut.rushbase.net/Flikswich/DM-Erase_V25_Fixed-WindowsNoEditor.pak", MapChecksum="508863EB2E8DC02829775F07C9969821")

The MapName path can be discovered by running the map and reading back the log (it should be the same as if run on the server). The MD5 checksum hash can be found by using a site like this: http://onlinemd5.com/

Hopefully Epic will come up with a much easier way to get custom maps on servers in the future.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    +1 on the this thread/post!

Originally posted by ~SPECTRE~ View Post
    It's ironic because I was just about to ask Laambo about this.

Will do soon.

I have just recently signed up here and use this to upload my maps and any community map that do not use this site for my servers redirected maps/files! ... works great!

I would most definitely recommend this site for any dev/mod/mapper out there to use this site for there projects related to UT! "thumbs up"

So for all you Admins/Server owner/operators out there when you are downloading any maps pay attention to the dl site/link being used by the mapper as it could be a useable download link you can use in your redirect line for your server! ... no need to re-upload it to your ftp or other ftp you use! I find this faster/quicker for me and less maintenance for me cleaning out old files no longer needed!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ~SPECTRE~ View Post

Will do soon.
    Great thanks.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Will do soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X