Let's talk about DM-Column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk about DM-Column

Before I say anything let me say my ping was wildly swinging all over kingdom come a I played this map online.

Because my ping was so wild, though, the map was abso-crapping-lutely impossible to play at all. My ping was spiking to ~255ms and between shots not firing, my location being constantly corrected, etc. I killed myself more times than I can imagine but mostly I was just all over the place with lifts going up and down and being in the air and against a wall.

Suffice it to say that I think this map shows all the problems with post-160ms netcode right now.

And it is a pretty decent map when that's not happening
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

This map is totally awful, horrible and absolutely impossible to play in competitive game.... But Oh My God it's funny !

Comment

Yes, by "decent" I definitely meant "fun" and not "good" With Lowgrav I'm sure it's a joy.
      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

It sure is a nice gimmicky map. Actually when I played it on Epic's server on 160ms it was surprisingly good, I even won the match. It does takes prediction to a whole new level
        "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
        - RenegadeRetard

Comment

The map is surprisingly good and fun and it suits very well with Last Man Standing gamemode developed by Vlad.

I didn't play it much, but some suggestions:
          - the room below the surface should be removed, because players hide down there and it hurts the flow.
          - current design is monotonous.

I feel that this map will be perfect for something in a style of Tron Grid City, with force barrier walls, megacity background and a glowing moving grid as battlefield.

Attached Files

Comment

I think the map is great. I havent played it in high ping but i can see where the problem is there. Lifts period are bad in high ping but fixed in low ping....

Its Fun timing jumps and doing the air combos, air maneuvers, off walls etc Yes if you miss time even in low ping as your thrown up and next thing you got loaded rockets and release in front of the wall because not enough experience on the map to learn the layout of each jump etc.

This is one of those that its very fun but takes time to master and you will kill yourself while learning it. Its something different never played a map like this on UT before, its unlimited jump boots combo action
            Join the community Facebook page
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

If it's one feedback I'd wanna point out it would be that the pickups are all kinda placed so newbies will never touch them creating a big gap between skilled players (which always will grab them) and lesser skilled players (which never grabs them). I don't think that's a good idea for a map like this which isn't targeted towards competitive play, I think especially lesser skilled players would enjoy it more if Belt, Deemer etc was a lot easier to access.

Comment

I worked on the multiplayer maps for TRON. That's the first thing I thought of, Bosch, when I saw this map!
                Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
                  If it's one feedback I'd wanna point out it would be that the pickups are all kinda placed so newbies will never touch them creating a big gap between skilled players (which always will grab them) and lesser skilled players (which never grabs them). I don't think that's a good idea for a map like this which isn't targeted towards competitive play, I think especially lesser skilled players would enjoy it more if Belt, Deemer etc was a lot easier to access.
                  This is definitely a legitimate critique.

Comment

Hey, thanks for making this thread, it completely slipped my mind.

The original intention for this map was to build something like a fun arena map, with it's own set of rules and game play, for anyone who plays CS there's a ton of crazy maps, aim training, jump maps and other scripted madness. I wanted to see how far we can push a map before it becomes something other than a DM. I ended up finding this weird middle ground between a conventional DM map and a fun arena.

It was a weekend project a while back and we only did one play test internally so it is no doubt a little rough around the edges. If you guys are enjoying this type of thing I have tons of other crazy ideas that I'd like to try out. We just might need a new way to organize the maps so they are not in the standard DM rotation.

As for the feedback directly, I've done a item placement pass which should help the issues that have been bought up.

We did some tron styled visuals for Crysis 3 tutorial, this was an inspiration for sure, if I find some time I will experiment and give it a shot.

Attached Files

Comment

I actually think the map is pretty fun. I just think that there are too many blue lifts on the bottom floor. It's almost impossible to avoid them when trying to navigate to other parts of the bottom floor. I suggest a path of normal tiles so it's both easier to navigate down there, and that it can also create a predictable choke point.

Comment

pretty much all the games I've had on the map after I've memorized more of the layout have been really fun. It doesn't come across as a very "serious" map, but not all maps have to be built for tournaments. I wish there was a bit more stuff happening sort of at the apex of lift jump arcs though, especially in the middle of the map/not close to the walls. If you could line up some more wall runs/wall dodges up there, that could be a lot of fun

Comment

There needs to be more unconventional maps like this. It justifies one of the only reasons I love FFA and that's to make some crazy frags and frag runs. I've only played a few games on it and I've lost count of the number of air rox/flak/combos I've done.

Comment

I've played the map a handful of times now. It's fun, but can be awful when you're opponent becomes a pro at getting to the higher sections with all the powerups. I prefer to just stay below and perform crazy lift combos, but some players will camp up top with the powerups. There needs to be an easier way to attack the campers up top.

If UT4 had more air control the snipers might miss a little more when you're flying helplessly through the air.

Comment

Fire some rockets at them. Their backed into walls, splash damage will sort them out very quickly.
                              Join the community Facebook page
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Working...
                              X