skylight creates really weird effects for indoor meshes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

skylight creates really weird effects for indoor meshes

when i added a skylight to my level, things got really weird indoors. it doesn't look like it's leaking from somewhere, the strength of the effect is exactly the same in every room.

indoor area without the skylight / indoor area with it

Attached Files
    PLEASE CHECK MY DUEL MAP >> DM-Central <<

it seems to be caused by combination of skylight and skysphere. can't figure out how to have both a skybox in and create a light that makes outside areas nicely lit without creating the effect pictured above. tried messing around with the settings but the problem always remains.

Comment

Looks like cubemap reflections or something.

Comment

how would you go about fixing that?

Comment

Well it would either be a texture you set in your post process volume (ambient cube map) or a cube map texture you set as part of the skylight. The reflection could be reduced by decreasing the intensity of the cubemap reflections too, but it's probably best if you just get rid of the cubemap texture altogether.

The settings for it can be found in the details panel of the skylight.

Comment

hmm, that does indeed help. but then i don't get those sexy colored shadows, and nicely lit outside areas. :/ how is it possible that indoor meshes reflect a light from a sky that doesn't really hit them?
            edit: i am wondering if there's a way to get this kind of lightning without fuxing up the whole map.

Attached Files
            Last edited by User-843d7; 07-19-2015, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shdw View Post
              hmm, that does indeed help. but then i don't get those sexy colored shadows, and nicely lit outside areas. :/ how is it possible that indoor meshes reflect a light from a sky that doesn't really hit them?
              Without getting too technical just think of it as ambient light and it makes sense...

Originally posted by shdw View Post
              edit: i am wondering if there's a way to get this kind of lightning without fuxing up the whole map.
              I noticed a lot of things started lighting oddly in the last patch or two, particularly on lower graphics settings. Lighting on meshes seems brighter and more saturated plus there seem to be more strangely out of place bright patches on BSP. On all low settings it's pretty bad but on all Epic settings lighting issues mostly (maybe even all) go away.

Comment

So your trying to place a Skylight with a low value so that even the dark areas can have a little light? e.g. if you were inside a temple (arcane temple for example)
                The problem is, your sky light turns everything a rough approximation of your colour sky?

^^ if both are correct then i posted something similar a month or so ago, its solveable and its in one of my threads. Sadly i do not have the time right now (should be asleep), but maybe tomorrow night i can help look for the solution/ post if you haven't solved it
                Download_AllMyStuff | videos_ofmystuff

Comment

Originally posted by TKBS View Post
                  So your trying to place a Skylight with a low value so that even the dark areas can have a little light? e.g. if you were inside a temple (arcane temple for example)
                  The problem is, your sky light turns everything a rough approximation of your colour sky?
                  pretty much, yes. i tried to look at your thread list, and quickly scroll through them but didn't see it.

Comment

i recorded a video of the problem. can anyone help please? i can share the source file.

Comment

What detail settings are you using in the editor, have you changed them? Mysterial made a commit today related to skylights appearing too bright on low detail settings.

Comment

detail settings of what?

Comment

Working...
                        X