Maps are really, really big?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maps are really, really big?

I noticed that all maps are really big, they could easly fit in ut2k3/4. I would like too see more maps like Turbine, Codex, Stalwart, Galleon.. etc.
    Those maps were fun, and since with don't have dodge jump or double jump they could easly fit too new unreal as inspiration for mappers!

Who agrees with me ?

CTF-Coret and DM-Morpheus will be a "standard" size when they're done.
    Last edited by ~SPECTRE~; 07-22-2015, 01:20 PM.
    Portfolio / DM-Morpheus / CTF-Coret

Comment

There are popular maps in all modes that are large and small, whats important is a good variety of both to please different people. I think we could defiantly use some smaller fast paced CTF maps to compliment the bigger ones we have.

Comment

EW, Coret should NEVER be remade again. Leave it in the past. It hasn't been played for years and for good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
          I noticed that all maps are really big, they could easly fit in ut2k3/4. I would like too see more maps like Turbine, Codex, Stalwart, Galleon.. etc.
          Those maps were fun, and since with don't have dodge jump or double jump they could easly fit too new unreal as inspiration for mappers!

Who agrees with me ?
          the nox clan has many CTf maps that are small and are all good. lol so I wouldn't say all of them. but yes most are way to big for ctf and ictf
          AKA TwocensT

Comment

Ctf could use a few smaller maps.
            Join the community Facebook page
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

I prefer bigger CTF maps, I disagree about maps being too small currently. What's so fun about flag runs if you get to your own flag in matter of a few secs? It's only interesting when enemy has a few chances to interact mid-field with various chokepoints so it becomes a challenge to cap, not matter of a quick speedrun when enemy is blinking for a sec.

For example I preferred the old CTF-Dam layout, always got more interesting battles around the pillars in the water + at the outer base water channel room, now it's just a small open midfield with barely any fighting taking place there and the fights are cheap due to lacking obstacles around.
              Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 07-23-2015, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
                Ctf could use a few smaller maps.
                Originally posted by [Epic]Chris.Kay View Post
                There are popular maps in all modes that are large and small, whats important is a good variety of both to please different people. I think we could defiantly use some smaller fast paced CTF maps to compliment the bigger ones we have.
                CTF-Buried ;]

Comment

Originally posted by RPGWiZ4RD View Post
                  I prefer bigger CTF maps, I disagree about maps being too small currently. What's so fun about flag runs if you get to your own flag in matter of a few secs? It's only interesting when enemy has a few chances to interact mid-field with various chokepoints so it becomes a challenge to cap, not matter of a quick speedrun when enemy is blinking for a sec.

For example I preferred the old CTF-Dam layout, always got more interesting battles around the pillars in the water + at the outer base water channel room, now it's just a small open midfield with barely any fighting taking place there and the fights are cheap due to lacking obstacles around.
                  Ive played plenty of maps where its 5 seconds from flag to flag and we go into overtime after 20 min for someone to finally cap after 1 hour. I like small to medium maps, not a fan of HUGE ones. Tested one last year with raxxy took you 5 min to get to other base. coret size is what i mean by medium.
                  Join the community Facebook page
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
                    Ive played plenty of maps where its 5 seconds from flag to flag and we go into overtime after 20 min for someone to finally cap after 1 hour. I like small to medium maps, not a fan of HUGE ones. Tested one last year with raxxy took you 5 min to get to other base. coret size is what i mean by medium.

Let me guess, it's just one open room? What about 5 sec flag runs with obstacles/various paths? I agree that small and those rocket arena-like CTF maps could exist in a small quantity since they are really intense but I don't like small non-open maps.

Comment

Who agrees with me ?
                      DM-StalwartXL (Work in Progress) from UT99 at least:

https://ut.rushbase.net/trinatek/DM-...wsNoEditor.pak
                      ON-GOING PROJECTS: DM-BloodCovenant, DM-Campgrounds (Absolute)
                      CONTACT & TWITCH: Absolute Discord
                      , Twitch

Comment

I love Stalwart XL from UT '99! i kinda like Turbine and Galleon. don't know what Codex is. I like the idea that we have more bigger maps for Assault/Vehicle CTF, and Warfare. it gives us more space to work with so we can incorporate new Anti-Air Weapons and have more Air Vehicles and Vehicles in General, and maybe have Skaarj Cyborg Vehicles, who knows? does anyone like my ideas too?

Comment

Who agrees with me ?
                          DM maps are not as big as it may seem while you know how to move around them properly. Map size is driven by in-game movement posibilities, item count and item respawn times - that's why ASDF or Solo are the size they are.

On the other hand, I agree with you at some point that most maps are quite open, spacious and massive - though as I said, there are strong design reasons behind them being built this way. I am not a fan of crampy and claustrophobic maps, so I wouldn't go into such an extreme either, but I guess two or three maps a bit less spacious than current ones wouldn't hurt anyone ;] I see diversity in designs as a desired thing.

Speaking of Codex - not sure how good/bad it may stand in new UT in its original shape, but it inspired me a lot in the past. Some of these infuences you may find in DM-Coma
                          Last edited by insomnaut; 07-24-2015, 10:41 AM.
                          @insomnaut aka charon / DM-Coma / ArmorWare

Comment

i have combined the idea of KGalleon with the look of KBarge, and some inspiration from that other boat level from teh CBP3
                            It was originally intended as UT3 VCTF map, but if anyone wants to use a similar approach to a DM UE4 map i feel it will work out very nice.

Check the size and scale of arcane temple, sounds like it's what your looking for. KGalleon port is still only at a bsp stage. But KBarge uses UT3 mesh that are already available for UE4
                            Internet BlackOut in <2 weeks,last chance to request 4 years of Unreal Development(something from every Unreal Engine 50+ maps, chars, weapons, mods, mutators and more).

Comment

The UT4 CTF maps in my sig aren't real large. So there's 4 maps for you.
                              UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Working...
                              X