No announcement yet.

DM-Broken

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New version is out, Thank you people for patience and feedback!

Thank you Mitch! This "Player collision" thing is amazing! Because of that I fixed that wall slide Rainmaker_Cz mentioned. Jumppad is also fixed in this version! Zunnie: I put the map where you asked (v5 version) and thanks, man! Here is the link:
    https://multiplayerforums.com/files/...wsnoeditorpak/
    Thanks Dutch for what you wrote! I don't understand what exactly you want me to test... I will look at it and try again soon! (sorry)

Apart from fixing those things I added simple waterfall with sound and mechanism sounds as well. Made new building model and simplified geometry, added stone wall modular model and new secret passage *(red frame in the screenshot.), Items not changed apart from pads which are now in the secret passage.

And changed lighting some. Mitch: I am not guarding anything as there is nothing to guard I don't know what might be causing this effects.. I don't know what light propagation is... Here is the properties of the light sources on my map: Skylight, Sun and Fog... Other light sources are point lights (some of them stationary but most static)

About the life thing, Mitch: You are absolutely right. Thanks for the life advice!

If anything malfunctions or crashes... Or you find anything that requires fixing and polishing: Let me know! We came so far that we might as well finish it

Attached Files
    Last edited by ConradJustin; 06-18-2016, 07:36 AM.
    For maps and drawings visit: conradjustin.com

Comment

This is amazing man, i updated our servers with it, and also big thanks for submitting your work to our downloads area
      Very nice work Thanks
      Pro 2 Play Community Website @ https://www.pro2play.com/
      UT4 Server/Hub Guide @ https://www.pro2play.com/games/ut4/guide.php
      UT3 Server Guide @ https://www.pro2play.com/games/ut3/serverguide.php
      Need help? Join Discord Chat @ https://discord.gg/ETv384q

Comment

Ty ConradJustin! v5 Reloaded onto the LoPing.
        LoPing
        Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Sorry for the late reply [insert excuse blocking volume here]

I've loaded the basic start map and adjusted the lighting settings you put and, whoah...that skylight is set too high 'brah.

That needs to be lowered and all of your lighting will need adjusting to compensate this, at a guess. The point-lights you got setup for candles and torches look fine, adjust if need be of course, but seem okay to me at emitting the area around them.

I would probably delete the skylight and directional light...and replace them, but I got questions, again.

1: What time of day is this meant to be? Midnight, dawn, dusk?
          2: What geographical area is it? (seaside, high up on a hillside, old town port, another planet with post-dystopian steampunk?)
          3: Is it cloudy or is it just really foggy?

In answer to your questions on light prop volumes, take a look at this:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ows/index.html

and this:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...mes/index.html

I think it's too experimental to add to an arena FPS as it is hard to get the frames at the right rate. I have spent the last 7 days toying with lighting and color, and I just can't get the frames to go above 45 in complex scenes. A lot of this is due to shader complexity like using translucency and particle effects (both big killers of frames) but mostly it is the LPV as without it, I can get the frames above 120 with no sweat. You may have better luck...

I'd definitely increase the radius (source radius) of your spots to soften the light, and check the attenuation radius is hitting only what it needs to. On the case of a torch-light, attached to a wall, the attenuation radius would be large enough to hit the wall and the floor and ceilings next to it. As torches also have a light function as part of the material for the particle system operating within them, you perhaps will not need any lights attached to this/them, but dealers choice on this. Also increase the minimum roughness to 0.3 or 0.4, as this will really smooth them out. I say this as it appears the light you got is firelight or gaslight.

(as a side note there are a few capitals around the world who still use Gaslights as the incandescence of them is quite pretty.)

If it's moonlight you got, then it depends on whether the moon is fully occluded by the planet you're standing on, or the clouds/fog, and whether it's night time or not. On a clear night with a full moon dead above you, the shadows will be pin sharp, but really soft and glowy - bouncing off everything...it's difficult to light in any case. Toying with the auto-exposure would be interesting, as human eyes deal with moonlight in different ways than candle light and some subtle FX can be gained from this to really sell it.

Was thinking more about the water...having a Post process volume for the water and then an extremely thin (5-10 units) Post processing volume on top of the water plane/volume. The bottom volume deal with the colourisation of being underwater (darker/green/whatever) and the think layer on top could have a Gaussian blur on it, so when you enter an exit the water you get a cheap water vapour effect over your eyes. Would be cool. Been playing with this on a leaking ceiling and it works well.

Party on.
          Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Mitch! Listen what happened! It turned out that the skybox model was very close to the map (it was almost touching it in some areas)! I scaled it up and finally this "rays" and "bloom" begun to work! I even added a ball, covered it with the shock rifle projectile material and got myself a rising sun in the distance! So I finally decided on the dusk....

Very nice idea with the water! I am going through the tutorials you sent me ATM and yes, I replaced the sunlight and skylight with new ones just changing the color and intesity... You really think lights need more smoothing? They appear to be smooth (I think this evil lightmass volume is involved).

Also I checked what you asked about: One of the lights (exactly in the middle) had immense radius (and it was stationary...)

Comment

Originally posted by ConradJustin View Post
              Mitch! Listen what happened! It turned out that the skybox model was very close to the map (it was almost touching it in some areas)! I scaled it up and finally this "rays" and "bloom" begun to work! I even added a ball, covered it with the shock rifle projectile material and got myself a rising sun in the distance! So I finally decided on the dusk....

Very nice idea with the water! I am going through the tutorials you sent me ATM and yes, I replaced the sunlight and skylight with new ones just changing the color and intesity... You really think lights need more smoothing? They appear to be smooth (I think this evil lightmass volume is involved).

Also I checked what you asked about: One of the lights (exactly in the middle) had immense radius (and it was stationary...)
              Grats!

I look forward to seeing the updated results. I'll put my comments to one side until I see the changes.
              Maps:

DM-PSi ; DM-Genku ; DM-Untold Storage ; DM-Station (WIP) ; DM-HeatRay Physx (WIP)

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Over the rocket launcher area:Up there you can see sniper's nest. Try not to get tangled in ropes!

This is a decal material I have been working on recently. I'm pretty happy with the result so I am sharing the screenshot with you guys:

This is the main square... or circle Bloom effect from the East is the morning light!

****... I forgot what I wanted to write here. But I'm putting this screenshot anyway:

And the video:
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ConradJustin; 07-01-2016, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Either the light is a problem, or (I suspect) there an actual Unreal Spot light right under it, causing a problem because at this distance, there is not really an issue for foreground objects. The materials seem uniform and there is no waxing.

...Yet at this range, there is waxing. Look at the difference of the material companred to the above shot. This shot has been saturated by the white light. The rope, the light model and the walls, gun, everything in the shot is waxed out. Look how white that shock rifle is!

Here, we can see the see there is light coming from the far right off-screen, giving a shadow to this light, and there is waxing from the light source indicated on the characters' arm and gun.

Here, everything looks awesome - except if you look through the hole in the wall and see immediately there is significant waxing on the other side from (again, I suspect) spot lights.

A screenshot of two halfs. On the left, things are looking good, but the more you move right, the worse it gets. Even though I am not directly under that (white?) spotlight, my gun and the surrounding materials are already getting influenced by this light.

If you could take an editor screengrab (/highreshot) of the above viewpoint, with all of the editor widgets, so I can see where the lights are and more importantly what their settings are, I believe this problem can be 'solved'.

But, tell me I'm not crazy, you can see this, right?
                  Attached Files
                  Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Mitchell View Post
                    But, tell me I'm not crazy, you can see this, right?
                    Mitch! This map has been closed for 5 years and I was blind since I was born. You might be crazy.

On more serious note: I have no idea what is happening. I am struggling with light on this map a lot. (You can tell by the look of the low resolution shadows on the walls). I checked light entieties... whats the typical point light strength? 40 000? 50 000? Or is it too much?Also: Does placing the skylight entetiy higher change anything?

Mitch: I am so thankful for your feedback! You are an awesome person! Together we will rock this map and solve every bug.

PS. I wanted to share this workflow about the grass( Its based on the tutorial I found on YT) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-XDMoMNnF4
                    And my result:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...G96RE5pZnFWa0k

PPS
                    : Isn't it normal that when you stand below light source it afects your weapon too? Mitch?
                    PPPS: **** just got real: I moved the icon of the skylight much higher and everything changed!
                    PPPPS: I am experimenting and removing some of the stronger lights. They appear to be making similar effect you described, Mitch. Also raising the skylight changed this "wax" thingy a lot... I removed it, increased the indirect sunlight light strength and building it again... Fingers crossed!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ConradJustin; 06-18-2016, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I checked light entieties... whats the typical point light strength? 40 000? 50 000? Or is it too much?Also: Does placing the skylight entetiy higher change anything?
                      Well, I wouldn't have a point light that high for a lantern - instead I'd use an emissive channel from the lantern's material to give off light directly from the actual lantern, and attach a really soft shadow-generating static.

The same for the windows for the buildings (kinda), where you show them as having light coming from within them, yet there is no light source from the windows, instead you have a point light right outside the window instead, which reduces the impact. Maybe even have a semi-translucent spot light angled down to the floor set-up on the inside of the room/building? Hard to know unless I play.

If I was going to have point lights on lanterns, I would start at 5,000 and just keep playing until I got it right, but that's the same with all lighting.

If I was going to have point lights be used as an ambient light, they would be set up as fat - set far away from surfaces/objects with no shadows, 50-500 radius and high minimum roughness (0.4). Again, I would play, but this would make them really fat and ambient.

Above has one point light set up at 1000 units away from everyone. This is a standard ambient light for me, but super-fat. No waxing. No shadows.

Super efficient.

Not dense.

Setup.

No cubemaps, no directional lights, no skylight, no spots, just one big fat light.

Not saying this is the way to go for you, but it makes the point (no pun) that if you want to light something like an area-light, just make it a fat point-light and smooth the ****** out. That doesn't mean light emitting from windows is removed, nor does it mean you removed lights from lanterns, as they are mega important for colour.

I'd completely avoid 255, 255, 255 or 1, 1, 1 on the colour scales. Light doesn't work like that. The above light is 232, 232, 248 - which gives it a very slight push into the blue.

Hope this helps.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 06-18-2016, 06:47 PM.
                      Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

First and foremost: Thank you for sharing your technique with us, Mitch! It works really well for some parts of the map! I am tweaking and experimenting with it and as you probably suspected the hardest part is narrow dark corridor such as sewer (For some reason the skylight isn't really getting into the sewers... They [sewers] need 'artificial' light sources such as point lights) There I cannot place light entity in a proper way. No matter where I place them they still will be extremely close to the player and map's surfaces. It seems that waxing effect is caused by stronger light sources so the solution would be putting more weaker point lights with fat source radius... For now I am at the testing stage I will update this post when the lighting is built.
                        Is there any other way for the ambient light then:

A.Skylight
                        B.Point light with high min roughness and large source
                        C.?

Comment

First and foremost: Thank you for sharing your technique with us, Mitch! It works really well for some parts of the map! I am tweaking and experimenting with it and as you probably suspected the hardest part is narrow dark corridor such as sewer (For some reason the skylight isn't really getting into the sewers... They [sewers] need 'artificial' light sources such as point lights) There I cannot place light entity in a proper way. No matter where I place them they still will be extremely close to the player and map's surfaces. It seems that waxing effect is caused by stronger light sources so the solution would be putting more weaker point lights with fat source radius... For now I am at the testing stage I will update this post when the lighting is built.
                          Is there any other way for the ambient light then:

A.Skylight
                          B.Point light with high min roughness and large source
                          C.?
                          Post processing volumes.

If you take a look at something like chill, you can see they have different post processing volumes for each building. This is due to size, lighting and of course how many windows there are and which direction the windows are facing.

This level of control allows you to open up the game/player camera aperture so to speak by allowing more light into the players eyes in darker areas. Simply speaking: autoexposure and brightness levels.

What I'm driving at is drawing a brush in the areas which need brightening and convert them into post processing volumes.

If you check the documentation and look at the settings Epic use for chill, it should all fall into place pretty quickly.

Lighting is the last thing you do, and don't be surprised if you spend another month or two tweaking values. It's perfectly normal and no one would hold it against you.

Ambient cubemaps is another thing to look at.
                          Last edited by Mitch Mitchell; 06-20-2016, 06:19 AM.
                          Maps:

DM/TSD-Formidable (WIP)

Comment

Oh, my man... Took me a while! I hope you will enjoy it!

Yay! Let me tell you the story of the broken city... Long time ago there was a magical windmill.. Ah, nevermind. It's not good time for old tales. Its time to fight.
                            Middle has new elevator model. And also the jumppad model is new, Check it out!

I added the rest of the city. This part is flooded and not accessable... At least not everywhere. Created gothic-like gates:

This flower... I don't know it's name. In polish it's Grzebien Wodny...

The outside area is more opened and brighter: Also lit by the flames of the main windmill!

And eh... I will make those bags of we...flour produce 'Puuuuufss" when you shoot them. I didn't have time to figure how to do that yet:

Grass, fern and a tree plus sun rays:

And for those who prefer reading then watching screenshots (A good word is worth more then a thousand pictures, or something like this (?)):

1.New models: Jumppad, bags, barrels, elevator, gothic gates, flowers...
                            2.Textures
                            3.Expanded city and fog and smoke
                            4.Improved lighting
                            5.****... I forgot. And it was so cool!
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ConradJustin; 03-18-2017, 05:01 PM.

Comment

That is awesome man, i loved this map already but now i love it even more

Edit: Updated map on all our servers, the redirect link i'm using is: https://redirect.mpforums.com/ut4/us...wsNoEditor.pak
                              Last edited by zunnie; 07-01-2016, 05:15 PM.
                              Pro 2 Play Community Website @ https://www.pro2play.com/
                              UT4 Server/Hub Guide @ https://www.pro2play.com/games/ut4/guide.php
                              UT3 Server Guide @ https://www.pro2play.com/games/ut3/serverguide.php
                              Need help? Join Discord Chat @ https://discord.gg/ETv384q

Comment

Thank you, Zunnie! Greatly appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                                X