Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic [PROTOTYPE] DM-Broken

DM-Broken

This is a thread about my second map DM-Broken.

IN ORDER TO PLAY THE MAP:

1.Download the .pak file.
    2.Place it here: \Documents\UnrealTournament\Saved\Paks\DownloadedPaks
    or here: \
    UnrealTournamentDev\UnrealTournament\Content\Paks
    3. Launch the game and choose custom singleplayer match -> custom
    4.Choose DM and search for the map in the drop down map list
    5.Map works with bots now, 8 players is optimal number
    6.Have fun!

I have made sketches and basic models. Before I publish the alpha version I wanted to make a real 3D model from wood of 3 buildings to get the general idea for the map. Tell me if you support the approach and I will post the change-log as I progress through it.

Map is happening outside in the city made of stone and wood. There is a river going through the environment and bending in the middle. There might be some nature and old ruins stonework.

These are sketches I made (apart from hundreds of others on my shelf... )

OLD................................................................................................ NEW
    Click image for larger version  Name:	broken1.jpg Views:	3 Size:	574.3 KB ID:	393057
    OLD............................................................................................... NEW
    Click image for larger version  Name:	broken5.jpg Views:	3 Size:	539.8 KB ID:	393056

OLD............................................................................................... NEW
    Click image for larger version  Name:	broken4.jpg Views:	3 Size:	478.1 KB ID:	393055

V 14

Download (315MB)
    drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeWawNl18I1OUFpUUVia3dMUkU

Pak name:
    DM-Broken-v14-WindowsNoEditor.pak

Checksum:
    f86516f25a1637a0143c091df7d6bb1c

FILE PATH:
    /Game/Content/RestrictedAssets/Maps/DM-Broken-v14.umap

I agree that this content constitutes a Submission under the Unreal Engine EULA (https://www.unrealengine.com/eula ).

Version 6:

Map will be interactive. Meaning there will be some rotating objects (water turbine, windmill) destructable objects, old wooden mechanisms, elevators, one or two wooden cranes and river current that can affect the gameplay. Let me know what you think about this idea. I was also thinking about making the polish/english video tutorials about creation of meshes and texturing them. Do you think the style will fit the game? Or maybe I should change it so it is more like castle Titan Pass or industrial Outpost theme?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ConradJustin; 09-11-2017, 05:42 AM.

• replied
    Thank you very much for this rebuild!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you for the V14 ConradJustin!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My thought on selling assets you use in maps was to use the map as sort of an interactive preview for the assets. It seems logical to me.... UT is free so the people shopping that want an interactive preview are out nothing but install time (and they may find a great game they enjoy). So you build a map to show off what your selling (you could show off more than 1 marketplace pack in the same map). Pak files are reasonably secure so people ripping your assets out is kinda unlikely(mind you it is possible, anything can be hacked). However UTed also has polygon culling tools and you could do it manually as well resulting in a version of the file that was much less useful were somebody to hack it out.

I think waverun has a point. Interactive gimmickry in a map adds to the entertainment value for many players, and finding such things feels rewarding, kinda like an Easter egg. Not sure how logically one could implement such a thing as moving the windmill blades... they aren't known to spin rapidly even in high wind... though they do have significant mass so even at slow moving I guess they would do some damage.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks guys. And you are right, Elmur. Some vines is a good idea, I like how they climb up the walls and work with the architecture. Crazy idea, Waverun. I will use it in a next map, okey? Smacking people seems a little bit hostile, don't you think?

Click image for larger version  Name:	broken4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	478.1 KB ID:	393047

V 14

Download (315MB)
    drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeWawNl18I1OUFpUUVia3dMUkU

Pak name:
    DM-Broken-v14-WindowsNoEditor.pak

Checksum:
    f86516f25a1637a0143c091df7d6bb1c

FILE PATH:
    /Game/Content/RestrictedAssets/Maps/DM-Broken-v14.umap

Two screenshots: Windmill on fire and the flooded part of the city:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	broken2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	380.5 KB ID:	393048Click image for larger version  Name:	broken3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	261.6 KB ID:	393049
    The old marketplace with old warehouse. Shock rifle and stinger in this area
    Click image for larger version  Name:	broken1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	574.3 KB ID:	393050

Baaasically the middle with some new assets and slight change in the layout:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	broken5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	539.8 KB ID:	393051

Overall added more stuff, changed lighting but I am afraid the size now got bigger. Its always a trade off and since I have been using higher definition models which I some of them intended for sale on marketplace.... I wwill have to scale their resolution down perhaps.

Ps. I wish map could become official but that's not really up to me.
    Last edited by ConradJustin; 09-11-2017, 05:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I really love the look of this map. Not sure why I never mentioned it before other than I am not much for maudlin sentimentality, but artistically this is a very attractive map. It isn't really bad in any way otherwise either. Just shines artistically. Me personally, if I changed anything I'd ad some more plant life like vines clinging to walls or something to enhance the aged vibe. But then I tend to detail the hell out of things.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You know what would be nice?

If you could spin the windmill around so it can smack people into the sky! Haha! Cool, right?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The sails should move nicely (thanks to Apex Clothing). I toned down lighting in some areas.Today was a new update so I re-cooked the map:

Version 13:

If there are any bugs, let me know! At this moment I consider this map finished. Dunno what should I do about that, so I am leaving it here. Thanks to everyone for their feedback and help!
    Stay tuned for next maps, bye bye!
    Last edited by ConradJustin; 09-10-2017, 08:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thank you for the update! I'll be reloading this beauty shortly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Re-upload! Plus I also... Eh, nevermind, right? Enjoy!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	broken_v12.jpg Views:	1 Size:	521.6 KB ID:	390623

Last edited by ConradJustin; 07-12-2017, 03:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Good to see you still at it ConradJustin! BiGUp for the recook!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, sure. I think that map is pretty much finished: Here comes v11. Sorry for delay!

11th version:

First post updated! Zupa!
    Last edited by ConradJustin; 07-11-2017, 04:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So Conrad, is the map going to be completely finished one day?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    SORRY, VERSION EDITED.
    After playing a bit I realized that most health pickups have collision and you can't pick them up! I replaced the faulty ones with "real" pickups, I am sorry for this, I have no idea what caused this!

10th version (2nd time)

Fixed volume, changed some materials and changed roof collision in one place (so you can walk on it). Nothing major.

Download (240MB)
    drive.google.com/open?id=0ByeWawNl18I1U3NwOGxoQWRMQXc

Pak name:
    DM-Broken-v10-WindowsNoEditor.pak

Checksum:
    8cc80a6b1aa1de24c242b43e88628f43

FILE PATH:
    /Game/Content/RestrictedAssets/Maps/DM-Broken-v10.umap

Last edited by ConradJustin; 04-27-2017, 08:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sometimes I get killed by the killvolume when I am floating in the water channel - by the end before the final arch (where there is double health above).

Otherwise feels really good. Will give it a few more runs soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X