CTF-Azimuth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [GZU]Elmur_fud View Post
    If it were me, given the lore I would give the grey part of the floors a more matte or anti-slip surface (texture like corrugated metal or some sci-fi variation there-of)
    The only outdoor area with any real man made surface that's walkable is the bridge, and the entire middle of it is a metal grate, so that would presumably give decent traction.

and make the yellowish bits like a slightly tarnished brass. Logically speaking There placement looks something like the bright yellow hazard lines lines painted on floors, walls, and other places in industrial areas where they wish to draw attention for safe navigation. Brass would suffice without being garish.
    Are we talking about the yellow painted metal, for instance the strip that goes across the bridge, or the paint on paint stripes that run across most of the level?

I think it is a great looking map regardless of what I feel would make it look better and plays very well also, so ty for making it.
    aww shucks

I'm glad you like it. I hope I get the opportunity in the future to make more, because I really enjoy doing this.
    CTF-Azimuth [UT4] - Check out my game!

Comment

The only outdoor area with any real man made surface that's walkable is the bridge, and the entire middle of it is a metal grate, so that would presumably give decent traction.
      Even outdoor areas tend to get some sort of high visibility stripes. https://www.google.com/search?q=indu...w=1680&bih=883

Though the grate would keep water from building up the reasoning behind the high visibility stripes is that such grates are easy to catch your shoes upon and then splat on your face.

Are we talking about the yellow painted metal, for instance the strip that goes across the bridge, or the paint on paint stripes that run across most of the level?
      I was specifically referencing this area when I said it reminded of high visibility stripes.

The edges of walkways, up ramps, places where you could trip, obstructions, navigation zones, etc.

aww shucks

I'm glad you like it. I hope I get the opportunity in the future to make more, because I really enjoy doing this.
      I have always been a rabid collector as well as modder of all UT games. My UT2k4 game folder alone is over 56GB. I prefer quality content which is why I am not an ultra prolific modder, my execution does not match up to my imagination. That and time constraints (and in the past hardware constraints) = I don't release a lot of what I make. Though honestly most of that 56GB is the work of others. My collection includes 100's of maps, mutators, player models, etc. What am I saying? I know good content. This is no banal compliment lightly thrown out there. I know quality content when I see it. Your map is simple and elegant while being detailed and thoughtfully laid out. That goes for both visuals and layout and that doesn't often happen.

I am not saying there is no room for improvement, there always is, and obviously my original post indicates where I feel improvement would be most impactful. Beyond that though this map is to the point that looking for things to improve is nit picking for the most part IMO.

Comment

Even outdoor areas tend to get some sort of high visibility stripes. https://www.google.com/search?q=indu...w=1680&bih=883

Though the grate would keep water from building up the reasoning behind the high visibility stripes is that such grates are easy to catch your shoes upon and then splat on your face.

I was specifically referencing this area when I said it reminded of high visibility stripes.

The edges of walkways, up ramps, places where you could trip, obstructions, navigation zones, etc.

Ah I see what you mean now. Probably won't happen because I'm happy with those as they are now, and it's a super nitpicky thing that I'm too busy with other projects to even try executing right now. That said, if I ever do have the time to really sit down with this again I'll probably do something more with those ramps, because that one bit of yellow wasn't thought out at all, it was just to replace the normal stripe decals I had there because they weren't playing nice with the heightmap.

I have always been a rabid collector as well as modder of all UT games. My UT2k4 game folder alone is over 56GB. I prefer quality content which is why I am not an ultra prolific modder, my execution does not match up to my imagination. That and time constraints (and in the past hardware constraints) = I don't release a lot of what I make. Though honestly most of that 56GB is the work of others. My collection includes 100's of maps, mutators, player models, etc. What am I saying? I know good content. This is no banal compliment lightly thrown out there. I know quality content when I see it. Your map is simple and elegant while being detailed and thoughtfully laid out. That goes for both visuals and layout and that doesn't often happen.
        Flattery will get you everywhere. But yeee, I've been doing this full tilt for about 10 years give or take a month, just keep putting time in and be extremely critical of your own work and you'll go far.
        Last edited by Envieous; 04-12-2017, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Selentic View Post

Flattery will get you everywhere. But yeee, I've been doing this full tilt for about 10 years give or take a month, just keep putting time in and be extremely critical of your own work and you'll go far.
          I have been modding and mapping since '96. But duration is to a degree irrelevant to talent and additionally those were previous engine iterations and even different franchises spread sporadically across more than 2 decades. Anyway we have gotten far afield. I hope you get a chance to make more content for UT.
          Last edited by [GZU]Elmur_fud; 04-13-2017, 08:58 AM. Reason: I pushed the button during a sneeze mkay.

Comment

Repackaged for new update.

Comment

Very nice map. Great lay-out that plays very well.

I do have some performance issues in certain parts of the map. All the issues are around the area you look at when standing at either flag and looking towards the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by Madacoda View Post
                Very nice map. Great lay-out that plays very well.

Originally posted by Madacoda View Post
                I do have some performance issues in certain parts of the map. All the issues are around the area you look at when standing at either flag and looking towards the middle.
                I'm aware of the issue, it's caused due to the engine drawing decals it shouldn't, for some reason that I can't figure out.

Unfortunately, short of someone at epic who can explain this behavior to me and tell me how to correct it, the only option is to move decals into their own material and adding them to the static meshes that make up the level. Which would solve the issue and I hope to do eventually, but at the moment I don't have the time to do anything that significant with this project.

That said, if you set your graphics to low, it disables all decals within the level, which doesn't look very good, but it solves the issue.
                Last edited by Envieous; 04-22-2017, 05:24 PM.

Comment

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...eedback-thread

this is going to be fun, anyone know when we get 4.16 over here?

Comment

for those of you who haven't seen this yet

coming soon (tm)

Comment

Updated to new build. https://www.dropbox.com/s/eupmfed7nx...ditor.pak?dl=0

I put in a lot of work due to the volumetric fog hype, however we're still on 4.15 so we don't have that feature available here yet. That said, I made significant improvements to the decal fade distances, and cleaned up some stacked meshes. All in all this has greatly reduced drawcalls (about 1/4 less), if you were CPU bound before, give this another spin, your performance should be significantly improved.

There's some other minor visual improvements I've added.

I blended a proper grass surface into the ground shader, so that the grass is no longer just popping out of the mud, and thus looks more believable (you probably won't notice unless you look really hard at it). I also rigged together a system to limit fog to the outdoors in preparation for the volumetric fog update, for now I've brought the fog into the playable area, it's only simple exponential height fog, but it looks better than the playable area totally lacking in fog like it was before. Finally, I made some improvements to the rain particles, and to my raindrop shaders to make them slightly more believable as well. (you probably won't notice this either, unless you specifically look for it, but I notice these things because I'm looking at this stuff for hours, so I improved it)
                      Last edited by Envieous; 05-17-2017, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Repackaged for current UT version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/392i7spbxf...ditor.pak?dl=0

Comment

Incredibly detailed. Very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake-KoRn View Post
                            Incredibly detailed. Very impressive.
                            Just wait'll we get 4.16 up in here!

Comment

Repackaged... Again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bva4wsc1qb...ditor.pak?dl=0

Comment

I put a little more effort into volumetric fog on 4.16.

gief 4.16 plz
                                Last edited by Envieous; 07-14-2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X