Clear All

DM-Thaq

Players: 4 - 8
    Version: 1.0
    Released: 30-10-2020
    Download: GoogleDrive, UTCC, Readme
    Checksum: cb36efe975672e2a7f42cb72a122114c

Story / Histoire

In a distant, arid and desolate place similar to Mars, is the remote station known as Thaq, a station which was abandoned by its occupants whose existence Axon Research Corporation discovered quite by accident during an exploration of this region. This place was deemed to be an excellent training venue. Condition your reflexes to be sharp, precise and fast, otherwise…

Dans un endroit lointain, aride et désolé semblable à Mars, se situe le poste éloigné dénommé Thaq, un poste qui a été abandonné par ses occupants don’t Axon Research Corporation a découvert l’existence tout-à-fait par hasard lors d’une exploration de cette région. Cet endroit a été jugé comme étant un excellent lieu d’entrainement. Conditionne tes réflexes à être vif, précis et rapide, sinon…

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Installation:

Put the files into ‘…UnrealTournamentUnrealTournamentContent’ directory. If this folder is not currently on your system, you can safely create it.

Details:

I’m using completely new assets from the Mothership service rooms assets pack. I bought this pack so I could create a map that, in the contrary of few regular sci-fi packs I use for my previous maps, assets aren’t super shiny but rather dirty and worn. So, it will be my first UT4 map that has a sci-fi / industrial / dirty look

Therefore, the pack misses deco meshes, like pipes, barrels, wires, etc. I’ve found some nice free LP pipes meshes on CGTrader I could use in this level. Like the barrel that I added founded in one of the marketplace free HQ sci-fi pack, I had to tweak the material so it look dirty and worn.

Outside the map, for the scenery, I add planets with subtle light shaft at the horizon. The planets comes from the StarSphere pack, which include all what it take to craft a awesome space environment. I also use ground / mountains assets from the Polar Sci-fi-Facility pack to complete the scenery.

I also add many custom VFX, like slow dust particles, fast dust particles, electric sparks, smoke, steam, water leak and various rotating fans all around the level.

Furthermore, Thaq use a custom music track called Anesthetic coming from FOnline OST album by Xcentric Noizz which fit’s very well for UT

For me, the map is finish but I post it here in case someone found an issue, a bug and wish to share his thoughts before I make it final in few weeks. Have fun!

Credits:

Achernar, BloodK1nG, ÐutchSmºke, Florin Biziitu, MoxNix, sL.vEr for providing feedback for R1.
    Stevie's corner
    Maps at my blog : DM-Cruel, DM-Qu0 B2
    Maps on Epic : DM-Valas, DM-Thaq, DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
    Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Congratulations on getting this baby to final = )

Look forward to playing many rounds...

In olden times, I would love finding out how you implemented all the materials, particles, animations and scripting. Oh well, I just have to do it the way of trial and error.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

Comment

1 comment

This is how the community support the mappers!!! Really??? Hey members, why are you on forums if you don't share your POV??? Big deception, once again

THX for your support Achernar
      Stevie's corner
      Maps on Epic : DM-Valas, DM-Thaq, DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta

Comment

Oi! I had a bit cloudiness on logons but it's all back to normal again!

BigUp yourself for seeing this tight beauty to perfection completion! I took the liberty of log'n my GPU 1st run abilities for your amusement.

Merci Encore Steve! also, don't let the zombified community get to you.
        LoPing
        Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

That's good! LOL, I remember watching the video

I was watching your FPS, after all the time I've spent optimizing the map, I was hoping you would get more FPS than that. Your average is around 40 and I was aiming roughly 75 for low / mid settings.

THX for your support ÐutchSmºke
          Stevie's corner

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about my FPS Steve, my R9 380 is already 5 years old!
            Being the pauper on the block, my stats are not indicative of the 'average' hardcore gamer. (I just like thinking I'm on a RX 6800 XT and play to win.)

@EPIC Hoping to see the day when UT runs on the Vulkan API. I'm betting we'll see 60FPS then on this map.
            LoPing

Comment

Ah, well, your right about the GPU. But yeah, imagine playing with a RTX 3090 or RX 6800 XT and you will win all matches LOL

Let me know what you think about the final
              Stevie's corner

Comment

It's a good map! Even with medium/low settings it looks good!

It'll take a few runs to get it figured out and most folks do like a good puzzle, especially ones resulting in being fragged if you take too long or get it wrong.

The corridors (IMO) feel cramped when you use a shock ball as space indicator. Personally I like having some 'wiggle' room to at least be able & try to survive.
                The 7:44 replay intro shows what I mean with this.

You've gone from spacious to tight and pulled it all off so far (FPS optimizations included)! And you did give us good warning on this one, "..Conditionne tes réflexes à être vif, précis et rapide, sinon…'vous serez FraGGeD..Ceci est le chemin'".

Keep Up the GoodWorks mon!​
                LoPing

Comment

Ha ha, well, I'm happy it looks good for you on your rig playing at low/mid settings my friend

Indeed, corridors are tight and I understand your explanation about the Shock ball indicator for spacing. The doors frame / corridors scale on this pack fits UT players scale. Therefore, for a game like UT, they are too tight to manoeuvre inside of them which can be a source of frustration to players who jump / dodge all the time. Before entering the corridors, I switch to Flak and the results are very satisfying with that weapon But you must travel fast, or else your trapped.

As I mention in a post at my blog, I like to build something different each time. Not only using a different theme from my previous maps but also try a different gameplay approach while keeping in mind UT playability and not just create a pretty level. It all depend of the assets I use. Scaling is crucial for obtaining a different gameplay from map to map & I like to exploit that which force players to change their old habit because they have to adapt

I also try to optimize the map the more I can. I know it's not everyone that possess a high end GPU. Optimizing is taking a lot of time but it worth it imho. Often after optimization, I can obtain 20 FPS more

Next map, DM-Valas, which I'll release tomorrow, have tight corridors too but less tight than Thaq.

Be prepare to fill your SSD... LOL... nah, it's around 312 MB, so less than your 350 MB expectation LOL

Stevie's corner

Comment

Switch to flak.. that's like telling a sniper to go to Mordor.
                    I'm just kidding..maybe.. and you're correct in the forcing to get through the corridors asap changing old habits..
                    More Replays to follow!

<350MB is all good mon!
                    LoPing

Comment

I watched your last video. Funny because that kind of browsing around and commenting before starting a match, I do that when the level is at alpha / beta / rc stage

The spot your referring isn't wide because I want players to move from the grenade launcher platform instead of camping there to collect the belt to easely. It's to force you moving your a.. LOL

But, I'm still glad you like the map anyway
                      Stevie's corner

Comment

Sure do like it and the list continues on with DM-Valas. Forcing adaption to overcome obstacles, this is the way.
                        Or we could just load 14 on and haul derriere.
                        LoPing

Comment

Working...
                        X