• Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] DM-Qwerty

Version:0.2
    Players:2-7
    Download:UTCC, Google Drive
    Posted: 08-01-2021

Click image for larger version  Name:	137251878_10223672910427137_5626581719158545842_o.jpg Views:	130 Size:	167.0 KB ID:	411833 Click image for larger version  Name:	137218217_10223672908147080_1914214011511756189_o.jpg Views:	125 Size:	449.7 KB ID:	411834
    Click image for larger version  Name:	136733287_10223672911187156_5071766406179800384_o.jpg Views:	128 Size:	268.5 KB ID:	411837

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/866100839

Hey guys)
    This is my very first map. I am music producer and some times, when im fed up with my job routine I love to make some visuals instead of music.
    I really enjoy plaing UT4 with my collegues, and glad to become a part of creative community.

I'll be glad to get some feedback from professionals
    Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sotger; 02-17-2021, 10:40 AM.

Hi,

I don't understand why you release an alpha map in the finished thread... didn't you look at the other release finished maps? Also, I don't understand why you name it version 1.0 neither since this is alpha 2 version. This page might help you out about map dev

By looking at the pics, you really need to place pickups in better position, at the moment, it's completely unbalanced.

You also need to have various height level across the map. This is a must and a basic aspect to UT.

Add some props to cut the long line of sight because now, it's more for a sniper practice map.
    Stevie's corner
    My UT4 maps
    Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

Originally posted by sotger View Post
      Hey guys)
      This is my very first map. I am music producer and some times, when im fed up with my job routine I love to make some visuals instead of music.
      I really enjoy plaing UT4 with my collegues, and glad to become a part of creative community.

I'll be glad to get some feedback from professionals
      Thank you in advance.
      Hello sotger! welcome to the level design team
      Great, this is the first step, we all started with exactly the same maps. The next step, as Stevelois said, is to add more variety to the map geometry. Start with small changes in the form of elevation changes, low stairs or climbs, no more than the height of the character. Look at other already made maps, as well as other games UT 99, UT2004. The third step is to get away from the perception of the map as a large room. Find a visual concept of what you would like to do, this will help you make the level interesting and work around many mistakes. On the Internet, many artists post their sketches, which are very good for turning them into maps.
      I sketched a little on your screen where you could start improving your map. I showed with green numbers which platforms are higher and which are lower. I wish you creative success, it's interesting!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch_01.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	411843
      Attached Files
      Мои старые карты WIP!

Comment

Originally posted by Stevelois View Post
        Hi,

I don't understand why you release an alpha map in the finished thread... didn't you look at the other release finished maps? Also, I don't understand why you name it version 1.0 neither since this is alpha 2 version. This page might help you out about map dev
        Hi
        Thank you so much for answering so quickly.
        I’m sorry, I didn’t quite get the spelling right away. We should probably ask the admin to move this thread to another branch.
        Or should I remove my post and re-create it there?

By looking at the pics, you really need to place pickups in better position, at the moment, it's completely unbalanced.
        Are there have any general principles - how do you set up pickups? And how many spawn places?

You also need to have various height level across the map. This is a must and a basic aspect to UT.
        Add some props to cut the long line of sight because now, it's more for a sniper practice map.
        The idea for this card came from the fact that a colleague and I often like to play a duel with a sniper rifle. He’s much better at it than I am
        We used to start our many-hour fights with the DM-Training card, which had gone out somewhere from the UTCC. And it was too "open" and too small.
        Thank you so much for making such important remarks and for not ignoring the newcomer - I will continue to work on it and study the beautiful and wonderful UE4 at the same time.
        P.S. As it turns out, in my selection of cards from UTCC in which we are playing, there are a lot of cards of your authorship. Most of all we like to play in DM-Coda. I admire your work. ) Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by aquilon View Post
          hello sotger! Welcome to the level design team
          great, this is the first step, we all started with exactly the same maps. The next step, as stevelois said, is to add more variety to the map geometry. Start with small changes in the form of elevation changes, low stairs or climbs, no more than the height of the character. Look at other already made maps, as well as other games ut 99, ut2004. The third step is to get away from the perception of the map as a large room. Find a visual concept of what you would like to do, this will help you make the level interesting and work around many mistakes. On the internet, many artists post their sketches, which are very good for turning them into maps.
          I sketched a little on your screen where you could start improving your map. I showed with green numbers which platforms are higher and which are lower. I wish you creative success, it's interesting!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sketch_01.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	411843
          Привет
          Увидел, что вы из Санкт-Петербурга)
          Надеюсь, здесь можно писать по-русски))

Огромное спасибо за столь скорый ответ и особенно за картинку. Разглядывал ее минут 20, пока не дошло до меня, что вы имели ввиду

Я так понимаю, что уровни высоты это 1-самый низкий, а 5-самый высокий на уровне башен, правильно?

Хочу еще спросить - где можно почитать или посмотреть чего -нибудь по разработке левелов в ue4 и в частности для ut4?
          В ютубе много инфы, но она как-то плохо проиндексирована поисковым алгоритмом - видимо из-за того, что очень мало людей занимаются дизайном левелов.

Привет Санкт-Петербургу. Мечтаю побывать в вашем городе)

Comment

Hi
            Thank you so much for answering so quickly.
            I’m sorry, I didn’t quite get the spelling right away. We should probably ask the admin to move this thread to another branch.
            Or should I remove my post and re-create it there?
            Well, I check forums often. And both options are good

Are there have any general principles - how do you set up pickups? And how many spawn places?

The idea for this card came from the fact that a colleague and I often like to play a duel with a sniper rifle. He’s much better at it than I am
            We used to start our many-hour fights with the DM-Training card, which had gone out somewhere from the UTCC. And it was too "open" and too small.
            Thank you so much for making such important remarks and for not ignoring the newcomer - I will continue to work on it and study the beautiful and wonderful UE4 at the same time.
            P.S. As it turns out, in my selection of cards from UTCC in which we are playing, there are a lot of cards of your authorship. Most of all we like to play in DM-Coda. I admire your work. ) Thank you
            There as always been guides line / rules of what make a good map vs a less good one, pickup wise, specially for a competitive games like UT. Googleing will give you most answers. Search for DM / TDM maps since it's what your making and you will find useful information about "how to"

Look at others maps, see how the layout is made and where pickups are placed, play the maps and if you have questions, ask the authors by posting in their threads or their site. The more you play UT4, the more you'll have a feel of the game, the more you'll understand what make a good map vs a bad map, gameplay wise because art / visuals are a matter of taste.
            Stevie's corner
            My UT4 maps

Comment

По русски можно, но никто не поймёт.
              Всё верно, уровни от 1 самого низкого до 5 самого высокого, по середине яма со столбом, это как один из бесконечности вариантов.

Что касается левел дизайна я тоже столкнулся с тем что информация разбросана везде по немногу, и нету чего то цельного, я думаю, это связано с тем что это некий уже профессиональный раздел,
              есть некоторые книги по левел дизайну, но они скорей несут информацию общего характера, скорее психологического восприятия уровней.
              Придётся искать по крупицам в текстах и в видеороликах по созданию той или иной игры, можно выцепить интересные мысли по построению уровней.
              А так я бы сказал это всё дело опыта, наблюдательности и постоянного общения и фидбеков после тестов.

Есть основные моменты на которые нужно обращать внимание, хотя на самом деле это зависит от конкретной игры а так же типа игры, потому что эти моменты будут меняться в зависимости от баланса самой игры ( персонажей, оружия, шмота, всяких дополнительных возможностей и фишек применяемых и тд.)

В данный момент есть смысл говорить о мультиплеере, тип игры дедзматч:
              1 Для дедзматчей, постоянное движение по кругу, без тупиков желательно. Уровни могут быть квадратными, круглыми, вытянутыми но не линейными, не длинной кишкой.
              Получается движение по кругу с пересечёнкой, ваш уровень в этом плане абсолютно верно сделан.

2 Топология уровней(основная схема перемещения без учёта художественной части): это вопрос индивидуальный может быть вообще плэйн с двумя столбами и будет интересно играть, сильно зависит от многих других составляющих игры, тут в общем просто опыт, даже нечего сказать.
              Я разделяю всегда на два типа: интересно или не интересно, если неинтересно то переделываю))
              Насколько ты сможешь зацепить игроков так и будет, даже топология сама по себе очень часто оказывает меньшее воздействие чем художественная составляющая, то есть эмоции людей от Арта, могут перебить скучность топологии, вызывая различные воспоминания, переживания и тд. Представь себя режиссёром который придумывает завораживающий сюжет))

Короче за годы работы левел дизайнером я понял что ничего об этом не знаю и постоянно узнаю что то новое, от разных людей)) За это время видел как профессиональные левел дизайнеры делали полную ерунду, и обычные ребята, не связанные с левел дизайном, моделлеры, художники и тд. делали хорошие уровни.))
              3 Важнейшая часть: Расставление всяких аптечек, оружия и тд. придёт с опытом: делай так чтобы все пушки и аптечки не могли контролироваться отьевшимся игроком, чтобы он не мог полностью отрезать пути ко всему.
              3.1 Дальнобойное оружие кидай там где оно реально будет работать, например снайперку лучше положить в том месте где с неё будет удобно стрелять или на пути в то место. Не стоит её класть в тесной комнате где толку от неё для большинства обычных игроков нету, в тесной комнате лучше положить дробовик.
              Также в тесных местах нестоит располагать оружие большого радиуса поражения, иначе там будут одни суициды))
              Допустим у нас есть "снайперка" и "шоковое ружьё" их лучше расположить дальше друг от друга, возможно напротив чтобы с обеих сторон люди могли иметь шанс отстреливаться, дальнобойным оружием.
              3.2 Аптечки лучше класть в местах где можно немного спрятаться, не на виду, прикрыться чем либо, хотя бы с одной стороны, за камнем, столбом в нише и тд, но чтобы доступ был свободным не затруднённым.
              Всякие "крупные щиты" и "супер аптечки" лучше располагать таким образом чтобы ими сразу не мог завладеть один игрок.
              Мелкие щиты и "мини аптечки" можно расставить в некоторых промежуточных точках, часто я использую их для направления игроков в разные зоны для разнообразия геймплея карты.
              С помощью всех этих пикапаов, которые мы разбрасываем по уровню, мы сильно влияем на геймплей всего уровня, это очень важный процесс, я например даже продумываю некоторые части уровня специально под аптечки и оружие а не наоборот, когда сначала делаешь уровень а потом разбрасываешь куда попало аптечки и тд.
              Незабываем настраивать время появления всех расставленных шмоток, потому что есть разница большой или маленький уровень, эти значения настраиваются уже при тестах.
              3.3 Патроны не клади все в месте, и рядом с оружием тоже не клади, чтобы их не забрал один игрок, разложи по уровню продуманно, когда игрок подбирает оружие там есть некоторый запас патронов и ему сразу ненужны патроны, дальше при перемещении он подберёт то что ему нужно, направляй игрока в разные зоны за разными патронами, чтобы ему был смысл идти по всему уровню а не сидеть в одном жирненьком месте.
              3.4 Сбор пикапов это некий квест для игрока во время поединка, но не стоит сильно усложнять добычу стандартных, пикапов.
              Так в общем вроде всё, может что то забыл да неважно.
              Смотри обязательно на матчи профессиональных игроков а также совсем новичков. Профессионалы двигаются используя разные фичи, особым образом, наблюдай за их поведением за логикой перестрелок и перемещений, и ты поймёшь как лучше строить уровень. Как они ныкаются, как отстреливаются когда ранены, куда бегут, где и какое оружие используют.
              Это даст тебе понимание какие зоны на уровне и каким образом лучше делать, где можно дать зажать игрока а где этого делать не стоит, где можно обогнать, перехватить соперника и тд.
              И не забывай о новичках, которые зачастую не смогут запрыгнуть или залететь туда, куда с лёгкостью запрыгнет профи, надо оставить и для них возможности добираться в основные места пусть и более долгим путём.
              Мои старые карты WIP!

Comment

Originally posted by Aquilon View Post

Благодарю вас Юрий за такой человечный и концентрированный гайд!
                Очень тронут таким теплым отношением)
                Обращайтесь обязательно, если вдруг у вас возникнут вопросы касательно моей основной профессии.)

Comment

Ок, буду иметь в виду!
                  Мои старые карты WIP!

Comment

Thank you for share'n your works with the rest of us sotger! Loaded onto the LPA, replays to follow!
                    LoPing
                    Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Hi guys!
                      I was just surprised to find that in the "Work in Progress" branch of the forum there is already a post with a level named DM-Qwerty. The post is dated 2016. I don’t know what to do with it...) What is the best thing to do, please advise. Changing the name of the level during development is OK?

DM-Qwerty UTCC (ver 0.9/A9)

Demo:

Here’s a fresh map update.
                      1. New height level added
                      2. The route and positioning of pickups are slightly redefined thanks to Aquilon and Stevelois.
                      You have to sweat it like this for a while.
                      Naturally, materials and geometry are still being developed.

BTW, I have a question about the materials. The question is more to the esteemed Stevelois.
                      I read in one of the descriptions for the release of your map that you used the Modular Scifi Season 1 Starter Bundle pack. How could you import it in UT Editor?
                      My UT Editor, when it starts, says it uses UE 4.15. And the current Unreal Editor, which I have installed, is 4.26. The problem is that my content browser in the UT Editor does not "see" the files inside this pack. Only directory "Starter Bundle" with all subdirectories (Materials, Props, Maps etc)
                      I tried to add this pack via Epic Launcher to the UnrealTournament.uproject. Also tried to use "Migrate" function from UE4. No materials, no maps, no static meshes - only directories.
                      Would be so kind, dear Stevelois, how do you manage to put materials on a level that are read only in UE4? What are your operating procedures?. If it’s not a secret, of course) Thank you!

P.S. There is one abstract general question to the esteemed community - What do WIP,UNG,UMG,FR acronyms mean in your environment?
                      Thank you all for the advice and guidance. I would be very grateful for the feedback!

Comment

Hello sotger,

You made me smile with your "esteemed" term, because the community act completely at the opposite, the term "indifferent" would fit better I think.

So I have many answers indeed.

You can change the name of your map whenever you want. You're the boss my friend. Therefore, it is a good practice before naming your map to search if a map already use the same name to avoid any confusion.

First, since UT4 editor is completely obsolete, you need to export from UE4 editor and then import in UT4 editor. You can't just copy the directory structure in Windows Explorer from UE4 directory and put that under UT4 content directory thinking UT4 editor could use the assets. You cannot migrate UE4 content neither since the assets are copied in a new folder of your choice BUT the files (*.UASSET) remains at the same version, which are superior to 4.15. Only way you can use assets in UT4 editor without having the pain to do the export from UE4 is when the assets are compatible with 4.15. If assets are made for 4.16 or more, forget to use them directly in the UT editor. You must export form UE4 and import in UT4.

Second, the export / import process is long and tedious, be warned. You must check all meshes in UE4 BEFORE importing them to UT4 editor. The meshes settings can be different from meshes to meshes. This is the worst step, it's very time consuming. For textures, after they're imported, you must set them right like in UE4 if you want the same result when the mats will be done. As for materials, material instances, material function, you must recreate everything in the UT4 editor. When mats are done, then, you must edit the meshes and assign the right materials.

Be advise that even if the import process is doing fine, without issues, it doesn't mean that it is really fine. You will see that after in the meshes editor when you assign the materials. If your meshes are flickering, it is because the importer isn't able to correctly import the meshes and there is nothing you can do about it, sadly even after trying this and / or that setting in the import window This is the case for the industrial free Factory pack available in the marketplace.

Everytime I want to use a new asset pack, I have to redo all those steps. Still, the result is more than satisfying because your map is unique in term of visuals and everlasting, meaning that stock assets can be changed, altered, delete by Epic so your map could be at risk to become a "scrap" map. This is a really frustrating situation and it as already happen for UT4 when Epic as changes many assets in CTF-Titan pass.

Other things to work on too are LOD's and collision, which you must set too most of the time. Another aspect that can take a lot of time.

Those are very common, so it's easy to answer lol :

WIP = Work In Progress
                        UNG = ???
                        UMG = Unreal Motion Graphics, UI Designer
                        FR = FlagRun map type

If your searching for more explanation on acronyms, you can look here.

Hope it's helpful
                        Last edited by Stevelois; 02-18-2021, 02:01 PM.
                        Stevie's corner
                        My UT4 maps

Comment

Thank you very much Stevelois. At first I thought it was a little bit simpler but I guess I can’t avoid a deep study of blueprints and programming in general.

I don’t understand another thing:
                          The source code of the game is shared on the Github. Thus, the game can be compiled by any developer who wants to.
                          Why can’t someone recompile Unrealtournament.project for a new engine update? Licensing issues or something?

In general I have clarified a lot for myself. Thank you so much Stevelois for such qualitative answers.

Comment

Thank you very much Stevelois. At first I thought it was a little bit simpler but I guess I can’t avoid a deep study of blueprints and programming in general.

I don’t understand another thing:
                            The source code of the game is shared on the Github. Thus, the game can be compiled by any developer who wants to.
                            Why can’t someone recompile Unrealtournament.project for a new engine update? Licensing issues or something?

In general I have clarified a lot for myself. Thank you so much Stevelois for such qualitative answers.
                            Your welcome

Well, you don't need to learn BP and such to be able to use the assets. You only need to export from the newer engine and then import in UT4 editor. It's just that the process is tedious and can be frustrating at time.

The source code is for UE4, not UT4 afaik. UT4 as always been updated by Epic, not the community, and this since day 1. And this attempt as already been made few years ago with the release of 4.19. Still, it is buggy and incomplete and is identify as WIP. If it was so easy, we could use UE 4.26 for UT4 and the state of the game wouldn't be abandoned like it is. I would be the first to update all my maps and use all the new feats lol
                            Stevie's corner
                            My UT4 maps

Comment

Fingers crossed! This UT community found it's way to bring '99 maps back so lets hope that Epic does the same.

Replays are up sotger! Enjoy!
                              LoPing
                              Explosive High Voltage UT99

Comment

Working...
                              X